Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

1 hour ago, codypet said:

No it was never meant for someone his size per the manufacturer.   The sensor was tampered on the max side so it'd registered as clicked in and give the green light.    That said I had friends who rode this days before his death that were concerned about the lack of redundant seat belts that you normally are used to seeing on these kids of restraints. 

the redundant belt issue aside, this harness system is used on similar rides around the US.  I googled it months ago and you can see it; nothing happened there on those rides.

I am just looking for the actual facts of how this happened, not general statements like from @F-L-Aabout who likely did what, who likely directed whom, etc.  I just want to know which details were released about what exactly happened that led to this kid's unfortunate and untimely death.  In other words, I want to hear that "X told Y to make changes A, B, & C, and then said changes were made on a certain date, Z let the rider on, and then the rider rode it. Or, that Z made changes A, B, & C on his own."  Or a variation of this. 

I appreciate everyone's input; I'd just like to know the actual facts that led to this tragedy.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

the redundant belt issue aside, this harness system is used on similar rides around the US.  I googled it months ago and you can see it; nothing happened there on those rides.

I am just looking for the actual facts of how this happened, not general statements like from @F-L-Aabout who likely did what, who likely directed whom, etc.  I just want to know which details were released about what exactly happened that led to this kid's unfortunate and untimely death.  In other words, I want to hear that "X told Y to make changes A, B, & C, and then said changes were made on a certain date, Z let the rider on, and then the rider rode it. Or, that Z made changes A, B, & C on his own."  Or a variation of this. 

I appreciate everyone's input; I'd just like to know the actual facts that led to this tragedy.

My understanding is nobody knows who X and Y are, but the ride had a proximity sensor to know if the harness was fully latched, that the ride would not operate without the proximity sensors indicating the harnesses were closed. Although the ride initially had the sensors in the correct position based off marks on where it was originally clamped, it at some point was repositioned on seats 1 and 2 (and not seats 3-30) by an unknown person to allow larger riders to be able to operate the ride, and all staff was trained that seats 1 and 2 were for large riders, indicating management must have been aware. The repositioning of the proximity sensor changed the minimum opening in harness for the ride to operate from 3 inches to 7 inches. To make matters worse, this allowed much heavier people to fit into the seat, and in the victims case he weighed over 380 lbs, and with the G forces of the ride it caused the restraints to flex expanding another 3 inches, making the opening 10 inches, allowing him to slide out. Its my understanding the ride was meant to have a maximum weight of passengers of around 250 lbs, which the original 3 inch gap would have prevented larger people from closing the harness and thus riding the ride.

Nothing failed on the harness or ride regardless of him being overweight, so technically, a seatbelt to hold the harness down would have saved him as well, although just not moving the proximity sensor and not establishing "XL seats" on the ride without the manufacturers approval would have both also saved him as well. I'm personally disappointed in them taking this down, a very, very hefty fine/judgement for the family likely would have made them sell it to another operator and everyone would be on notice to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aent said:

My understanding is nobody knows who X and Y are, but the ride had a proximity sensor to know if the harness was fully latched, that the ride would not operate without the proximity sensors indicating the harnesses were closed. Although the ride initially had the sensors in the correct position based off marks on where it was originally clamped, it at some point was repositioned on seats 1 and 2 (and not seats 3-30) by an unknown person to allow larger riders to be able to operate the ride, and all staff was trained that seats 1 and 2 were for large riders, indicating management must have been aware. The repositioning of the proximity sensor changed the minimum opening in harness for the ride to operate from 3 inches to 7 inches. To make matters worse, this allowed much heavier people to fit into the seat, and in the victims case he weighed over 380 lbs, and with the G forces of the ride it caused the restraints to flex expanding another 3 inches, making the opening 10 inches, allowing him to slide out. Its my understanding the ride was meant to have a maximum weight of passengers of around 250 lbs, which the original 3 inch gap would have prevented larger people from closing the harness and thus riding the ride.

Nothing failed on the harness or ride regardless of him being overweight, so technically, a seatbelt to hold the harness down would have saved him as well, although just not moving the proximity sensor and not establishing "XL seats" on the ride without the manufacturers approval would have both also saved him as well. I'm personally disappointed in them taking this down, a very, very hefty fine/judgement for the family likely would have made them sell it to another operator and everyone would be on notice to make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

I 100% agree.  I personally think if this was on land owned by the drop tower, it would still exist.  I'm betting that since its land lease from ICON, that's why its coming down.  It'll be moved to another location, fixed and operate somewhere else instead.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, codypet said:

I 100% agree.  I personally think if this was on land owned by the drop tower, it would still exist.  I'm betting that since its land lease from ICON, that's why its coming down.  It'll be moved to another location, fixed and operate somewhere else instead.

I think these guys operate Magical Midway, right?  Wasn't the plan to open these three rides and then close MM?  So, now, what would the plan be?  Another Unicorp property?  

We’ve got something new for 2023 at BGTB just for @codypet, the Serengeti Flyer!

Busch Gardens swings for new ride in spring 2023
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/os-et-busch-gardens-tampa-swing-serengeti-flyer-spring-2023-20221011-snniej4dmjb5lgs5y7ygeg3ed4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

“The new attraction will feature side-by-side arms holding 20 passengers each on their ends. Those arms will swing out to a maximum height of 135 feet above the ground and will hit speeds of up to 68 mph, Busch Gardens says. There will be multiple negative-G experiences as the ride rises above the park’s Serengeti Plain.”

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Ministry of Magic details:

https://wdwnt.com/2022/10/details-ministry-of-magic-attraction-epic-universe/

...should be a real scorcher...

Universal Monsters Land

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/10/10/florida-orlando-universal-epic-universe-project.html

...they own Phantom of the Opera too...hmmm...maybe themed show ideas in that land...

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

We’ve got something new for 2023 at BGTB just for @codypet, the Serengeti Flyer!

Busch Gardens swings for new ride in spring 2023
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/os-et-busch-gardens-tampa-swing-serengeti-flyer-spring-2023-20221011-snniej4dmjb5lgs5y7ygeg3ed4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

“The new attraction will feature side-by-side arms holding 20 passengers each on their ends. Those arms will swing out to a maximum height of 135 feet above the ground and will hit speeds of up to 68 mph, Busch Gardens says. There will be multiple negative-G experiences as the ride rises above the park’s Serengeti Plain.”

That is so funny because I was in line for Iron Gwazi last weekend and we can see the ride and couldn't figure out how you'd access it and where and what it was.  Man it looks like its right in the middle of the safari area.  I know it looked like it straddled the skyride.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

With all that water down at Epic, maybe they could buy a Nautilus or two from Mickey? “Stand by to dive!”

...and based on Uni's track records for getting rides to actually function...maybe...just maybe...they can get one of those Nautilus subs to actually work for more than a minute before breaking down for the umpteenth time.

I worked at 20K for about two years from 1978-80, and during the time I was there we only had one breakdown.

What Disney came to hate about it was the expense. Today, about the only attractions left with the 1 operator, 1 boat option are Jungle Cruise (folks would riot on Main St if they closed it), the riverboat, TSI and the RR (I worked all of them except TSI). Those types of attractions require much more labor than attractions like Space Mountain or Splash.

Alan Oyler, who I worked with at 20K, went on to run Orlando’s  engineering  stuff and Glen Birket came to run his own theme park engineering firm based in WG, to name just two. We were quite a crew.

Edited by spenser1058

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

You mean like Jaws?

I was robbed! my childhood was robbed b/c I never was able to ride the Nautilus sub! it was always broken down...that's why I am the way I am...  I have Nautilus Deprivation Derangement Syndrome.  I'm sure there's a ton of posters here that can rest easier now that they know the reason for my psychosis...

32 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I was robbed! my childhood was robbed b/c I never was able to ride the Nautilus sub! it was always broken down...that's why I am the way I am...  I have Nautilus Deprivation Derangement Syndrome.  I'm sure there's a ton of posters here that can rest easier now that they know the reason for my psychosis...

LOL, it wasn’t broken down, it was just the lines. You could only put 40 people on a sub and could only run a max of 9 at a time.

Btw, you can head out to Anaheim if you’d still like to ride but they now have a Finding Nemo theme.

Also, for all those who think Disney has always been princesses, 20K was the ultimate “boy” attraction. There were hardly any females in the 1954 movie, either.

https://www.google.com/search?q=a+whale+of+a+tale+you+tube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:8ea27968,vid:AkjTGCrLvAU,st:0

Edited by spenser1058

33 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

LOL, it wasn’t broken down, it was just the lines. You could only put 40 people on a sub and could only run a max of 9 at a time.

Btw, you can head out to Anaheim if you’d still like to ride but they now have a Finding Nemo theme.

Also, for all those who think Disney has always been princesses, 20K was the ultimate “boy” attraction. There were hardly any females in the 1954 movie, either.

I saw one of those subs in their warehouse where they do that Dining thing (Tables?).  Probably around 2013 or 2014...over off of OBT and that connector road to JYP that I think has an exit off of the TNPK SB.  They also had the Astro Orbiter stuff there.  Very cool...and iconic.

That's the thing about Disney...their stuff is pretty iconic.  Yeah, they did the Nemo thing at the Sea Pavilion at Epcot too.

Those subs were the coolest thing at MK back in the day...so iconic...

• Like 1

Monsieur Paul in the France Pavilion at Epcot’s World Showcase is about to reopen after a long COVID nap. It will feature an extensive prix fixe menu this time:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/6174-monsieur-paul-upscale-epcot-restaurant-will-reopen-oct-18-with-new-concept

From Scott J

For those of us more into noshing our way through the parks instead of losing our lunch on yet another roller coaster, Disney essentially owns this part of the theme park business.

Given that the US (like most of the developed nations) is getting older every year, it’s intriguing to me how the rest of the industry tends to concentrate on younger audiences.

The Mouse is also expanding the dining adventures beyond Epcot and the resorts these days. Tiffins at DAK and the Skipper Canteen at MK are some additional options and of course Disney Springs has a plethora of choices.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Monsieur Paul in the France Pavilion at Epcot’s World Showcase is about to reopen after a long COVID nap. It will feature an extensive prix fixe menu this time:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/6174-monsieur-paul-upscale-epcot-restaurant-will-reopen-oct-18-with-new-concept

From Scott J

For those of us more into noshing our way through the parks instead of losing our lunch on yet another roller coaster, Disney essentially owns this part of the theme park business.

Given that the US (like most of the developed nations) is getting older every year, it’s intriguing to me how the rest of the industry tends to concentrate on younger audiences.

The Mouse is also expanding the dining adventures beyond Epcot and the resorts these days. Tiffins at DAK and the Skipper Canteen at MK are some additional options and of course Disney Springs has a plethora of choices.

If I worked for Universal, I would have told them to create a large park similar to EPCOT, surrounding a lake with restaurants and themed areas circling it.

All Disney bashing aside, to me, the EPCOT World Showcase is one of the best experiences someone can have...countries and eateries...I think it's fabulous.  Interestingly about the authenticity of stuff there, I lost a bottle of French cologne several years ago on a Europe trip.  It was high dollar.  Believe it or not, Neiman's and Bloomie's did not carry it BUT the French Pavilion cologne store did! Guerlain.  How about them apples?  Right?  I was impressed.

• Like 1

From a layout perspective, I would argue that EPCOT is the greatest theme park in the world.  And at one point, it had the rides and content to match it.  

Hopefully they can regain some of that former glory with these newer developments, even if it looks very different from its original educational vision.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

From a layout perspective, I would argue that EPCOT is the greatest theme park in the world.  And at one point, it had the rides and content to match it.  

Hopefully they can regain some of that former glory with these newer developments, even if it looks very different from its original educational vision.

I personally like Busch Garden's Back of house in the Center Layout.  From an operations standpoint, that's pretty neat.  They do have issues with their higher rides giving you a view of the BOH, but I don't know if you wouldn't have that same problem if you put a ride like Falcon's Fury, Shiekra, or Iron Gwazi in Universal.

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

it's layout is like a World's Fair, but also is set up like the perfect venue to host people.  IMO, the food leaves a lot to be desired, but the Morocco pavilion, to me, has the best food.  Pizza slices in Italy is a complete joke.  But you can't go wrong with the vegetarian option in Morocco.  

back to layout, the front entrance coming in via Monorail can't be beat by anything.  the back entrance with water taxi and gondola options similarly can't be beat; it really is the perfect venue/ front lawn-type of place.

I don't like the parking lot at all.  The solar panel farm should've been built on top of existing parking spaces instead of on undeveloped land where trees should've been planted, IMO.  Darden did it on their parking deck; Advent did too.

6 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

it's layout is like a World's Fair, but also is set up like the perfect venue to host people.  IMO, the food leaves a lot to be desired, but the Morocco pavilion, to me, has the best food.  Pizza slices in Italy is a complete joke.  But you can't go wrong with the vegetarian option in Morocco.  

back to layout, the front entrance coming in via Monorail can't be beat by anything.  the back entrance with water taxi and gondola options similarly can't be beat; it really is the perfect venue/ front lawn-type of place.

I don't like the parking lot at all.  The solar panel farm should've been built on top of existing parking spaces instead of on undeveloped land where trees should've been planted, IMO.  Darden did it on their parking deck; Advent did too.

SAVE THE TREES!

• Like 1