Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

There’s quite a discussion over at Theme Park Insider about this and other coasters at SW (especially Orlando) skimping on any theming to go with them and how that attitude from the PEF that controls them seems to be a factor in the park taking a big hit in the latest TEA attendance estimates. 

To @codypet’s point that BGTB seems to be avoiding that fate, the posters on TPI generally concur but apparently BGW has also been a victim of the bean-counting lately (which is a shame because it has traditionally been one of the most beautiful theme parks in the country).

Edited by spenser1058

Cobra's Curse (which is one of the newer rides at the park) is very beautifully themed, but older coasters like Kumba, Sheikra, and Montu really aren't themed.  Iron Gwazi and Cheetah Hunt and to a lesser extent, Tigris are hard to put your finger on because those rides are using cues from former rides.  So the rides themselves historically didn't really feel themed.

I will say this about Tigris.  That ride does not f around with cell phones.  The last two times I've ridden that, passengers have  had phones pulled from their pockets despite all the warnings in the cue.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

https://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20221018/33070/how-train-your-dragon-land-coming-epic-universe-heres-how-it-currently-looks

How To Train Your Dragon (Dreamworks) Land at Epic.

I never saw it.  was this movie(s) any good?  To me, I equate this with some of Disney's newer animated IP.  I wouldn't rush to go see it in other words.

Legoland pushes back Pirate River Quest opening to early 2023
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/legoland/os-et-legoland-florida-pirate-river-quest-opening-delayed-2023-20221020-sqookvgkfvcl3aczuteankijm4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

The new attraction, which will make extensive use of the historic Cypress Gardens canals for the first time since Legoland took over the property, is being delayed due to high water levels on Lake Eloise and the Peace River since Ian.

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

But is it better than Hot Dog Heaven? 

it's got a lotta energy.  I get the vegetarian dogs, and I've never been disappointed by the taste or the price... I by no means am an expert on hot dogs, but I like those, with the whole sliced pickle, relish, onions, etc.  I love the energy of that place when it's busy; only been there a handful of times. 

58 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

this is good.  As you've stated before regarding Disney being more interactive in the community, on that note, this is a good thing.  Maybe Uni is really pushing for the community interaction since Diz announced moving employees here from Anaheim.  

More on Sea World's Pipeline coaster.  It is a thrill ride (far cry from Ice Breaker per a coaster buddy of mine).  What would make it even better is if they played "Pipeline" by Dick Dale while you either are riding it or while waiting in the cue:

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2022/10/18/seaworld-orlando-reveals-more-details-about-new--pipeline--coaster

This is great for Sea World, and great for competition.  It has motion tech as part of the ride.  They said this will be the 7th coaster there.  

Between Pipeline and Howl O Scream Halloween season event, Sea World is really transcending from a sleepy Orlando theme park to a more cutting edge park.  They already have Aquatica and Disc Cove...this is good.  What they may want to consider is getting into a hotel partnership; but I think they need more for that to stick.

57 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

More on Sea World's Pipeline coaster.  It is a thrill ride (far cry from Ice Breaker per a coaster buddy of mine).  What would make it even better is if they played "Pipeline" by Dick Dale while you either are riding it or while waiting in the cue:

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2022/10/18/seaworld-orlando-reveals-more-details-about-new--pipeline--coaster

This is great for Sea World, and great for competition.  It has motion tech as part of the ride.  They said this will be the 7th coaster there.  

Between Pipeline and Howl O Scream Halloween season event, Sea World is really transcending from a sleepy Orlando theme park to a more cutting edge park.  They already have Aquatica and Disc Cove...this is good.  What they may want to consider is getting into a hotel partnership; but I think they need more for that to stick.

An Atlantis-style resort would be a perfect match.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

An Atlantis-style resort would be a perfect match.

That's actually a fantastic idea.  I did not know this but Sea World is building a theme park facility in the UAE.  They've got money.  I think Sea World should consider what you said; make it perhaps an on-site resort (like the new hotel at Epic U.; build it into the parking lots, and then build big parking decks across Sea Harbor Drive on those auxiliary lots (next to the former Harcourt building).  Get it "up to spec" like Universal.  And then keep building new rides.

I would consider a "Polercoaster" type of ride that is tall but takes little square footage.  I say that b/c I don't think the Mangos people will ever be able to get that off the ground, and it would be great competition to the other theme parks. Regardless, I think with the addition of Howl O Scream (HOS) and it's year one to year two success, it is elevating Orlando's rep to more than a two major theme park company resort town.  HOS being a seasonal event is great because now people won't just look to Universal's HHN automatically; rather, it will be a two-headed fall event monster in Orlando.  HOS has a good reputation at Busch for so many years too.

I mean, *Pipeline, Ice Breaker, Manta, Mako, Kraken, are some heavy hitters in the industry.  There is also a coaster group that travels park to park to ride these coasters.  Sea World is one of those stops.  They just gotta keep 'em coming.

I am more excited about the HOS seasonal event...  I have friends that came down from Jersey that came down for The Diz,  Uni, and HHN, and they fit in HOS as well on this trip.  They otherwise would not have even bothered with Sea World.  Interesting dynamic at play.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

HOS has only been at SW for 2 years?  I was wondering that because I've been to BG HOS for years and seeing it this year I thought to myself SW must have always had a HOS  and I just didn't notice it.

https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/howl-o-scream/attractions/

yep.  second year only check it out.

pay close attention to the houses, scare zones, and bars for this year compared to last year.  the growth from year one to year two is substantial.  And, HOS Tampa had five houses, and this year HOS Orlando has five as well.  I would love to see the attendance numbers growth from year one to year two.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/howl-o-scream/attractions/

yep.  second year only check it out.

pay close attention to the houses, scare zones, and bars for this year compared to last year.  the growth from year one to year two is substantial.  And, HOS Tampa had five houses, and this year HOS Orlando has five as well.  I would love to see the attendance numbers growth from year one to year two.

I went this past weekend and thought they did a great job. The shows were well done, and something that Universal doesn't really have anything comparable at HHN, making it a different experience. With that said, they were clearly very short employees, with many spots clearly meant for "scare actors" sitting empty, and an employee told me they've had large quantities of people calling in sick every single night. With that said, it was also a lot less busy then HHN, which was also nice IMO.

• Like 1