Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

23 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

https://hotelprojectleads.com/2-hotels-planned-at-international-drive/

this is an article from 2020 about that parcel to the north of the parking deck for Pointe Orlando.  I don't think anything has happened there yet...

download (1).jpeg

I hate the proposal. Essentially 2 small motels for the I drive fronted parcel....... dumb dumb dumb....... then to top it off, another small potatoes no frills hotel across from Epic. To the north of the Pointe Orlando parking deck should be a more urban high rise larger density hotel by a major brand. Same can be said for the parcel across from epic. 

I hope the county kills these proposals. 

13 minutes ago, shardoon said:

I hate the proposal. Essentially 2 small motels for the I drive fronted parcel....... dumb dumb dumb....... then to top it off, another small potatoes no frills hotel across from Epic. To the north of the Pointe Orlando parking deck should be a more urban high rise larger density hotel by a major brand. Same can be said for the parcel across from epic. 

I hope the county kills these proposals. 

the original proposal was a Westin if I recall and either 9-11 killed it or the building bust.

In the same manner that the convention-class hotels have skywalks to the OCCC, and in the same way that Hyatt Orlando has a covered sidewalk connecting the parking deck to the hotel, they should consider a covered sidewalk corridor in the same manner that in essence would extend the walkable distance from the OCCC ala "all weather" elements.  Then, a new hotel proposal could be built and be marketed as "walkable"  Parking at Hyatt would completely suck if there was no covered sidewalk to the hotel.  The only problem with that one is that the "roof" is too narrow; I would have made it 1 1/2 times as wide.  

https://www.rosenplaza.com/rosen-hotels-resorts-in-orlando-announces-unprecedented-associate-layoffs-due-to-covid-19/

this was back in 2020.  They announced layoffs due to covid.  By 2019, they had not moved forward with expansion plans like they stated a decade prior.  Not sure what was going on during that time other than the building bust that affected their expansion plans.

I would expand that hotel towards I-Drive and make a new lobby area/ drop off; as it is now it's too far off the sidewalk.  I would do that at minimum.

• Like 1

https://www.rosencentre.com/rosen-hotels-resorts-in-orlando-announces-consolidation-of-two-international-drive-hotels/

Back in 2017, Rosen purchased the two motels adjacent to Rosen Centre which are just behind that I-Hop on Hawaiian Ct.  This might answer the question as to why they never did that expansion of Rosen Plaza; 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2018/07/16/harris-rosen-shares-more-details-on-future-1-300.html

...and, the expansion of Rosen Centre discussed here in 2018 was predicated on the expansion of the OCCC, which was delayed due to covid.

Edited by jrs2

https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/theme-park-news/everything-we-know-about-epic-universe-universal-monsters/

Universal Monsters.  This looks to be pretty good.  Why is that important?  Because I penciled this in as being the "weakest" of the four lands at Epic U... In a previous post, I posted the video of the coaster animation.  It may not be large like SeaWorld's, but it is themed really nicely...

FkTG_gdWAAEK5rU-MONSTERS-scaled.jpg

Monsters-Ride06.jpg

P902-SitePlan-Labels-Universal-Classic-Monsters6-scaled.jpg

• Like 1

This video shows Mario Kart without the glasses on, then kind of with the glasses on (as best you can from a cell phone); it gives you an idea of how the ride goes.  Yeah, I am pumped about this ride; makes me want to fly to LA, strong arm the governor to get me a date with his aunt, erect an Eazy-E monument in Compton, go to an All-Valley Karate tournament, and then go to Universal Holly-wood to get on this ride.

This ride is trippy.  This is way more trippy than ET's home planet of mushroom gnomes.  Buzz Lightyear stuff is very cool at WDW, I grant that, but this is just do awesome.

Also, a drone show in Santa Monica Universal did for Super Mario:

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

Velocicoaster front seat: I'm no expert, but this is hardcore... good for Universal.  For years it was the pseudo coaster The Mummy and more recently the Gringots ride and then Hagrid's.  The Hulk and the later dismantled Dueling Dragons, and the Hollywood Rocket.  Great addition...Busch gotta spend some more money... 

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

Haven't been to any of the parks in a while but I have heard Iron Gwazi is great. My favorite was always Kumba at BG.  Even when they got the newer coasters, there was always just something about Kumba with the way it kind of thrashed you around (especially in the backseat) that was super fun. 

Yeah, that also was part of what was cool about it after they opened up other newer coasters, you could pretty much back-to-back it with no wait and pick which seat you want. So we would go and wait in the front seat line, and then immediately after getting off, run back around through the line and go to the back seat right in a row.  It is still a very fun coaster, IMO, and has that "old-school" feel more so than Montu and Sheikra. (which supposedly Iron Gwazi has as well). 

@dcluley98Kumba definitely has a mid 90's B&M feel to it.  Only coaster I can equate to it is Hulk at Universal.  Unlike Hulk, Kumba hasn't gone through an overhaul so it has that feeling still.  Incidentally, you get a similar but different felling at Montu which is a late 90's B&M.  Cheetah hunt, and Iron Gwazi feel like totally different animals.  Scorpion is still there and Sand Serpent does what Wild Maus Coasters do best. 

You're right though.  Montu and Kumba on any given day don't have lines.  What baffles me is how can Cobra's Curse and Cheetah Hunt regularly have 45-60 min waits.  Cheetah is especially baffling to me because it has 5 cars running, and Cobra's a continuous loading train.

Iron Gwazi has two trains and has consistently shorter lines.   Sheikra when its fully operational runs about what you'd expect out of them.

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Haven't been to any of the parks in a while but I have heard Iron Gwazi is great. My favorite was always Kumba at BG.  Even when they got the newer coasters, there was always just something about Kumba with the way it kind of thrashed you around (especially in the backseat) that was super fun. 

I can't help it.  it sounds so dirty, LOL.

On 6/14/2023 at 12:29 PM, codypet said:

@dcluley98Kumba definitely has a mid 90's B&M feel to it.  Only coaster I can equate to it is Hulk at Universal.  Unlike Hulk, Kumba hasn't gone through an overhaul so it has that feeling still.  Incidentally, you get a similar but different felling at Montu which is a late 90's B&M.  Cheetah hunt, and Iron Gwazi feel like totally different animals.  Scorpion is still there and Sand Serpent does what Wild Maus Coasters do best. 

You're right though.  Montu and Kumba on any given day don't have lines.  What baffles me is how can Cobra's Curse and Cheetah Hunt regularly have 45-60 min waits.  Cheetah is especially baffling to me because it has 5 cars running, and Cobra's a continuous loading train.

Iron Gwazi has two trains and has consistently shorter lines.   Sheikra when its fully operational runs about what you'd expect out of them.

Damn, I jinxed it.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2023/06/16/busch-gardens-closing-sandserpent-roller-coaster-july/

So the pirate ship closed a couple years ago and was torn down last year supposedly due to a lack of parts.  Sand Serpent is directly adjacent to it.  Shame, because it does have pretty decent lines so it draws a crowd.

I know Scorpion has had issues with finding parts.  I won't be surprised if that ends up disappearing.

Edited by codypet
  • Sad 1

On 6/16/2023 at 8:24 AM, codypet said:

Damn, I jinxed it.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2023/06/16/busch-gardens-closing-sandserpent-roller-coaster-july/

So the pirate ship closed a couple years ago and was torn down last year supposedly due to a lack of parts.  Sand Serpent is directly adjacent to it.  Shame, because it does have pretty decent lines so it draws a crowd.

I know Scorpion has had issues with finding parts.  I won't be surprised if that ends up disappearing.

Scorpion is definitely a relic at this point. I’m actually surprised it’s lasted as long as it has.

5 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Scorpion is definitely a relic at this point. I’m actually surprised it’s lasted as long as it has.

A ride attendant last year told me they've cannibalized the 2nd car at this point just to keep the existing ride running.  It is very very rough when you ride it.

On 6/18/2023 at 1:35 PM, ragerunner said:

The new Minion Land has opened at Universal Studios Orlando. With new restaurants, shops and meet and greet. The main attraction Villain-Con will open soon. This land adds some needed energy and excitement to the front of the park. 

https://touringplans.com/blog/getting-to-know-universal-minions-land-at-universal-studios-florida/

here's a link to an article showing the layout and a "map" I downloaded.

minion-land-map-578x700.png

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/seaworld-new-roller-coasters-2023

SD gets Arctic Rescue, a Hagrid's type straddle coaster.  Orlando needs that here to compliment the others.  Then, they need to reclaim parking lot acreage and expand the park's footprint a little and put a ride or two out there like they did with Karaken and/or Mako or Manta where the length portion of the coasters is technically outside the park's border over the retention pond along I-Drive and not taking up space within the park.