Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

yeah, I drove by Blue Rose yesterday. there is that construction trailer just to the north of the Siam Orchid. I didn't notice any clearing of sorts, but that trailer is there-- probably prelim. construction planning?

The Point-- now, I did notice that they are doing foundation site work fronting Carrier. But they are taking their sweet time with this one.

Pointe Orlando-- steadily progressing-- theatres are now a different color;

Westin Imagine-- Level 3 completed; level 4 U/C-- (1 floor every 2 weeks?)

Vista Cay-- southeast section of residences from the center (Harbor Square?) is u/c and nearing completion at that phase.

***Waterford Lakes T.C.-- out of place in this thread, I know, but I just gotta report that the new phase on the west side of Alafaya is pretty much done now-- good God its huge.

did anyone hear the report the other day www.wftv.com/video/9779562/index.html?taf=orlc

talking about the new arena around the I-Drive area? It's obviously a ways away before any decisions will be made-but I sort of like the idea.......I know this was spoke about here or other threads which makes it nothing really "new" but.....

did anyone hear the report the other day www.wftv.com/video/9779562/index.html?taf=orlc

talking about the new arena around the I-Drive area? It's obviously a ways away before any decisions will be made-but I sort of like the idea.......I know this was spoke about here or other threads which makes it nothing really "new" but.....

I don't speak for all Orlandoans ... but in my view and most people I know I-Drive is a place where out of towners go to be entertained and although it is in the city limits, it's not us. In my view if it goes to I-Drive the Magic will no longer be Orlando's team. They will just be another tourist attraction where the out of towners can catch an NBA game. The "fans" will just as llikely be for the other team as the Magic. Kind of like the D Rays.

I don't speak for all Orlandoans ... but in my view and most people I know I-Drive is a place where out of towners go to be entertained and although it is in the city limits, it's not us. In my view if it goes to I-Drive the Magic will no longer be Orlando's team. They will just be another tourist attraction where the out of towners can catch an NBA game. The "fans" will just as llikely be for the other team as the Magic. Kind of like the D Rays.

I see your point, but wouldn't that also apply to the Dolphins, Panthers NHL, NY Giants, NY Jets, NE Patriots, the Anaheim/LA Angels, etc...? probably not b/c those are not tourist towns per se.

I see what you are trying to say... b/c of the stigma that ORL is a tourist town, an NBA team in the tourist corridor would be perceived merely as an out-of-towner's convenient NBA forum to host their respective teams vs. the ORL team.

I see your point, but wouldn't that also apply to the Dolphins, Panthers NHL, NY Giants, NY Jets, NE Patriots, the Anaheim/LA Angels, etc...? probably not b/c those are not tourist towns per se.

I see what you are trying to say... b/c of the stigma that ORL is a tourist town, an NBA team in the tourist corridor would be perceived merely as an out-of-towner's convenient NBA forum to host their respective teams vs. the ORL team.

I'm not sure how that applies to some of those cities, but with Miami, the Dolphins play in an area that is bounded only by highways, so it is easy to access. Plus, the tourist area of Miami is actually the City of Miami Beach. Can you imagine if the Dolphins played near South Beach? Think of the traffic trying to get over the causeways on game day. Navigating Collins is similar to International Drive in Orlando. It is bad enough doing that any day of the week, let alone on a Magic game night. I might pass that type of evening up even with free tickets. Downtown still makes sense for all involved, because it is in the middle of the region and I-4 and 408 intersect downtown, as well as Rt. 50 and 17-92-441.

I'm not sure how that applies to some of those cities, but with Miami, the Dolphins play in an area that is bounded only by highways, so it is easy to access. Plus, the tourist area of Miami is actually the City of Miami Beach. Can you imagine if the Dolphins played near South Beach? Think of the traffic trying to get over the causeways on game day. Navigating Collins is similar to International Drive in Orlando. It is bad enough doing that any day of the week, let alone on a Magic game night. I might pass that type of evening up even with free tickets. Downtown still makes sense for all involved, because it is in the middle of the region and I-4 and 408 intersect downtown, as well as Rt. 50 and 17-92-441.

sorry but I have to disagree here-I went to the magic/detroit game last year and my girlfriend and I sat in a parking garage for about 45 minutes until we were finally able to get out - that was just the parking garage. Then we had to deal with traffic to I-4. I have to say that with Universal and I-Drive both being 3 lanes in the proposed area-and the B-line and I-4 being right around the corner from the proposed I-Drive area-I don't see it being any worse than it's current location. In addition to that-I have to believe that Orlando's "true" fans are not only located in the north region of Orlando, Altamonte-Winter Park-etc. I lived in Buffalo my whole life and dealt with the Buffalo Bills stadium being located in Orchard Park-which was about 30 or so minutes south of the city-nowhere near downtown Orlando. I know most people don't care about the Bills-but you have to admit they have some of the most dedicated fans in the league. I also have to say that most people didn't really understand the reason for the location of the Bills stadium, but I have to think it had to do with the similar reasons the TD is considering moving to I-Drive area-tax advantages-?cheaper land?(guessing here)-benefits to using the stadium for convention business, etc.....if any fan would stop being a fan because the stadium moved 15-20 minutes further away from it's current location, I'd have to question their loyalty to that team.

sorry but I have to disagree here-I went to the magic/detroit game last year and my girlfriend and I sat in a parking garage for about 45 minutes until we were finally able to get out - that was just the parking garage. Then we had to deal with traffic to I-4. I have to say that with Universal and I-Drive both being 3 lanes in the proposed area-and the B-line and I-4 being right around the corner from the proposed I-Drive area-I don't see it being any worse than it's current location. In addition to that-I have to believe that Orlando's "true" fans are not only located in the north region of Orlando, Altamonte-Winter Park-etc. I lived in Buffalo my whole life and dealt with the Buffalo Bills stadium being located in Orchard Park-which was about 30 or so minutes south of the city-nowhere near downtown Orlando. I know most people don't care about the Bills-but you have to admit they have some of the most dedicated fans in the league. I also have to say that most people didn't really understand the reason for the location of the Bills stadium, but I have to think it had to do with the similar reasons the TD is considering moving to I-Drive area-tax advantages-?cheaper land?(guessing here)-benefits to using the stadium for convention business, etc.....if any fan would stop being a fan because the stadium moved 15-20 minutes further away from it's current location, I'd have to question their loyalty to that team.

You should have parked somewhere else in downtown and used the shuttle or a pedicab.

The Magic are saying that their fan base is mostly in Seminole County. That is probably where most of their season ticket holders are, but I'm sure they have no method of tracking all of their fans.

Was Orchard Park already clogged with traffic from tourists? I doubt it. I think it would make more sense to move the Magic towards Lake Mary/Sanford than moving to I-Drive, but that area is not Orange County and that is where the money is coming from. A move to I-Drive would benefit the hotels of I-Drive. I can't imagine that the hoteliers would be influencing the bed tax money.

And as far as anyone questioning loyalty of the Magic, that argument has nothing to stand on. The owner has been questioning whether to keep the team here if he didn't get a new arena for "HIS" team. Remember that. And I could give a rats a$$ if someone questions my loyalty for a team. If you followed basketball for any amount of time before the Magic were conceived, then you probably were a fan of some other team. For me, it was with Julius Erving and the Sixers. Still a fan, but I like the Magic, too, because I live here. I was also rooting for Miami throughout the entire playoffs, because I like Shaq.

You should have parked somewhere else in downtown and used the shuttle or a pedicab.

The Magic are saying that their fan base is mostly in Seminole County. That is probably where most of their season ticket holders are, but I'm sure they have no method of tracking all of their fans.

Was Orchard Park already clogged with traffic from tourists? I doubt it. I think it would make more sense to move the Magic towards Lake Mary/Sanford than moving to I-Drive, but that area is not Orange County and that is where the money is coming from. A move to I-Drive would benefit the hotels of I-Drive. I can't imagine that the hoteliers would be influencing the bed tax money.

And as far as anyone questioning loyalty of the Magic, that argument has nothing to stand on. The owner has been questioning whether to keep the team here if he didn't get a new arena for "HIS" team. Remember that. And I could give a rats a$$ if someone questions my loyalty for a team. If you followed basketball for any amount of time before the Magic were conceived, then you probably were a fan of some other team. For me, it was with Julius Erving and the Sixers. Still a fan, but I like the Magic, too, because I live here. I was also rooting for Miami throughout the entire playoffs, because I like Shaq.

SMR17 makes some good points, though. I've had season tickets the past 3 seasons. I always park in the parking decks fronting Hughey, yet we all know if you try to leave at the end of the game, you are screwed b/c of the backups getting out of those garages and Hughey's traffic, just trying to get to a cross street to get away.

I went to the Braves spring training games at WW of Sports and it was brutal just trying to get in or out there b/c of the access, or lack thereof.

I think the Arena at the OCCC would give a huge boost to convention and retail business, just like GWCC in Atlanta. THe Arena could be used to host events using expo space as well. But, I would hate to lose the Magic to I-Drive/Universal Blvd. b/c the new Arena could be a major piece of a large redevelopment puzzle DT needs. I-Drive doesn't need the Arena; the OCCC and new and existing hotel projects fuel each other's development and need.

the Arena on I-Drive would congest Kirkman, Universal, Sand Lake, and 528 exits leading towards I-4 East. for better or worse.

Most responses I have seen from people that are against the Arena moving to the I-drive area are in one way or another against anything tourist/tourism. Most complaints are about traffic-dealing with tourists-etc. I'm not saying the complaint isn't legit-can't say I like dealing with some of the mess myself. BUT-it's not like it's all wonderful around the current Arena as we speak now. Traffic congestion is a problem, the location is not pedestrian friendly, I'm surely not excited to walk to my car near the Arena at night by myself.

All I'm saying is if you look at the details of what's behind the Arena being moved to the I-Drive are all very impressive and will ultimately be a great move. Look at the location on Universal-when that area Mr. Watson is developing gets completed it will be a very nice place to visit. Good restaurants, good shopping, impressive buildings structures (more coming soon), water taxis, pedestrian walkways, the Shingle Creek Nature Trail. Besides all that, think about all the monies that could be spent Downtown on the new Performing Arts Center, new Citrus Bowl renovations, other projects that are wanted Downtown. Besides all that-I'm sorry but from the brief time I spent paying attention to all of this all I keep hearing about is money need for this, money for that. Well, we all know where the money is going to eventually come from since the owner of the TD isn't willing to pay, it'll come from OUR POCKETS! Why not let a private developer spend his money if he's willing like it was proposed on that original video I sent that started this conversation-and also from Mr. Watson who says he'll also be willing to put in $$.

To hopefully not change our subjects too drastically, Thursday's Orlando Sentinel reported that the soon to be demise of the Back to the Future ride at Universal is upon us

Nothing concrete on what will replace the ride but rumor has it a themed ride based one the Fast and the Furious could possibly be in the works

This noteworthy because as I'm sure everyone on this forum is well aware, Back to the Future has been with Universal Studios Florida since day one

The end of an era is upon us

To hopefully not change our subjects too drastically, Thursday's Orlando Sentinel reported that the soon to be demise of the Back to the Future ride at Universal is upon us

Nothing concrete on what will replace the ride but rumor has it a themed ride based one the Fast and the Furious could possibly be in the works

This noteworthy because as I'm sure everyone on this forum is well aware, Back to the Future has been with Universal Studios Florida since day one

Actually, it didn't open until '91, a little over a year after the park opened. Another possible rumor is that it will be replaced by a Simpsons film. We'll see what happens!

October 1st - talk about depressing. I knew this was coming, but I didn't realize so soon. I would've ridden it this summer while I still had the chance. :(

Most responses I have seen from people that are against the Arena moving to the I-drive area are in one way or another against anything tourist/tourism. Most complaints are about traffic-dealing with tourists-etc. I'm not saying the complaint isn't legit-can't say I like dealing with some of the mess myself. BUT-it's not like it's all wonderful around the current Arena as we speak now. Traffic congestion is a problem, the location is not pedestrian friendly, I'm surely not excited to walk to my car near the Arena at night by myself.

All I'm saying is if you look at the details of what's behind the Arena being moved to the I-Drive are all very impressive and will ultimately be a great move. Look at the location on Universal-when that area Mr. Watson is developing gets completed it will be a very nice place to visit. Good restaurants, good shopping, impressive buildings structures (more coming soon), water taxis, pedestrian walkways, the Shingle Creek Nature Trail. Besides all that, think about all the monies that could be spent Downtown on the new Performing Arts Center, new Citrus Bowl renovations, other projects that are wanted Downtown. Besides all that-I'm sorry but from the brief time I spent paying attention to all of this all I keep hearing about is money need for this, money for that. Well, we all know where the money is going to eventually come from since the owner of the TD isn't willing to pay, it'll come from OUR POCKETS! Why not let a private developer spend his money if he's willing like it was proposed on that original video I sent that started this conversation-and also from Mr. Watson who says he'll also be willing to put in $$.

Isn't this the same guy who wanted to have horse riding and nature trails and water taxi's and all this near the OCCC? I don't believe that is ever going to happen. I wouldn't call I-Drive and that area any better than downtown, but maybe I'm prejudiced-I can bike to the Arena now. Thousands of others can as well. If it's put near the OCCC, is there anyone who could reach it from their house without driving?

As others have stated, if you have to drive, don't park in the Arena garages.

Isn't this the same guy who wanted to have horse riding and nature trails and water taxi's and all this near the OCCC? I don't believe that is ever going to happen. I wouldn't call I-Drive and that area any better than downtown, but maybe I'm prejudiced-I can bike to the Arena now. Thousands of others can as well. If it's put near the OCCC, is there anyone who could reach it from their house without driving?

As others have stated, if you have to drive, don't park in the Arena garages.

I forgot about that-- the trails and all regarding Watson's development. Gotta tell ya, I'm not impressed with that proposal-- it has no business going near the OCCC. If I was Crotty, I would mandate tall towers/hotels only. Vista Cay really tries my patience, but, oh well. Imagine is a much better deal.

IMO, I-Drive could become a good rival to DT-- it probably already is or beats DT with regard to alot of factors-- but the arena belongs in DT. I-Drive is a huge district, and when it gets redeveloped, with the likes of the OCCC hotels, Blue Rose, THe Point, Prime redo & related development, etc., then watch out... it will be something even more special. And I think that's good, b/c how many cities have a corridor like I-Drive to compliment their downtowns? Not many.

...and I-Drive isn't the only such corridor... 192 has also seen alot of redevelopment recently as well.

that's one of the things I like about ORL. its the choices.

I forgot about that-- the trails and all regarding Watson's development. Gotta tell ya, I'm not impressed with that proposal-- it has no business going near the OCCC. If I was Crotty, I would mandate tall towers/hotels only. Vista Cay really tries my patience, but, oh well. Imagine is a much better deal.

IMO, I-Drive could become a good rival to DT-- it probably already is or beats DT with regard to alot of factors-- but the arena belongs in DT. I-Drive is a huge district, and when it gets redeveloped, with the likes of the OCCC hotels, Blue Rose, THe Point, Prime redo & related development, etc., then watch out... it will be something even more special. And I think that's good, b/c how many cities have a corridor like I-Drive to compliment their downtowns? Not many.

...and I-Drive isn't the only such corridor... 192 has also seen alot of redevelopment recently as well.

that's one of the things I like about ORL. its the choices.

My thoughts are actually the same here and it may seem like I'm flip flopping-but I believe the Arena SHOULD be downtown. I like the look of a downtown Arena with city skyscrappers and entertainment surrounding it-an Arena "belongs" where the name fits it. Orlando Magic-Orlando is our city-not I-Drive. I never once said that the Universal Area was "better" than Downtown-but it's surely not a bad place to visit. I'm not opposed to the downtown location, I just believe I-Drive makes more sense and overall is not a BAD place for it. It's not like anyone's suggesting Haines City!

With the money that's needed, to me it just makes sense to put it on I-Drive. I'm sorry I just don't want to see my taxes raise any higher then they are. I like all the "new" that's happening to Orlando, and if we can spend the planned money for that Arena on a few other projects, then I can live with it being on I-Drive. Besides the place being used for just the Magic and Preds, it can be used in many other ways. What's honestly bugging me is if someone is truely saying they will give up their funds to build this Arena-what's the discussion about? Maybe their really isn't a developer willing to give up the funds to build an Arena, but if there is.....maybe I'm way off here, but I don't really feel like I'm that far off.

JRS1 - I agree - I don' REALLY like Vista Cay either-that 50 or so acres could've really been used for something nice.

Also-it's not like I had a choice-I had to park in that garage along with about 150 (guessing) or so other vehicles unless I wanted to hitch hike it to the Arena.

Why would DeVos move into an arena that someone else would own and make money from?

It's not OUR tax money. We aren't paying it. The money is coming from tourists.

I believe the transportation issue will get better in the coming years downtown with the addition of the commuter rail. It may seem a ways off, but so is a new arena.

It IS our tax money in some cases. If someone in Orange County rents an apartment on a month to month lease or rents it for less than 6 months they are paying the hotel tax.

There are some very valid points to adding an arena to the convention center. An arena next to the convention center would probably attract bigger shows & conventions. The arena would be next to shopping, movie theatres and some nice resturants. It would encourage more tourists to see the games & shows.

However, I think the arena should go downtown. I think the arena would be a lynchpin in making downtown a better place to be. It would attract Fortune 500 companies to put there offices downtown and allow their employees to see a game or concert after work. It would create more resturants & retail downtown, & make downtown a more attractive place to live. There will always be resturants & retail in the tourist corridor.

Keep in mind that if a private developer builds an arena near the convention center they would want most of the $ generated from parking, concessions, skybox sales & so forth. If the city or county builds the arena they can negotiate how much of that $ they keep.

I think a better solution is to build some form of mass transit linking the convention center to downtown or for the convention center to build their own arena or theatre. If a mass transportation system is built it would allow conventioneers to dine & shop downtown in more elegant surroundings.

My thoughts are actually the same here and it may seem like I'm flip flopping-but I believe the Arena SHOULD be downtown. I like the look of a downtown Arena with city skyscrappers and entertainment surrounding it-an Arena "belongs" where the name fits it. Orlando Magic-Orlando is our city-not I-Drive. I never once said that the Universal Area was "better" than Downtown-but it's surely not a bad place to visit. I'm not opposed to the downtown location, I just believe I-Drive makes more sense and overall is not a BAD place for it. It's not like anyone's suggesting Haines City!

With the money that's needed, to me it just makes sense to put it on I-Drive. I'm sorry I just don't want to see my taxes raise any higher then they are. I like all the "new" that's happening to Orlando, and if we can spend the planned money for that Arena on a few other projects, then I can live with it being on I-Drive. Besides the place being used for just the Magic and Preds, it can be used in many other ways. What's honestly bugging me is if someone is truely saying they will give up their funds to build this Arena-what's the discussion about? Maybe their really isn't a developer willing to give up the funds to build an Arena, but if there is.....maybe I'm way off here, but I don't really feel like I'm that far off.

JRS1 - I agree - I don' REALLY like Vista Cay either-that 50 or so acres could've really been used for something nice.

Also-it's not like I had a choice-I had to park in that garage along with about 150 (guessing) or so other vehicles unless I wanted to hitch hike it to the Arena.

I think the most he might be willing to give is the land. I could be wrong. I also think the city owns most of the land they need to build it downtown.

There are good and bad points to both locations. Unless there is some major advantage (i.e. someone building the multi-hundred million area themselves) to it going on I-drive, I agree it 'should' go downtown. Ideally wherever it goes it will have public transport links going to it, and running late enough to keep people from being stranded at night.

What is Vista Cay? I'm sure I've seen billboards but I guess I don't get out much...

Edited by neon9

I think the most he might be willing to give is the land. I could be wrong. I also think the city owns most of the land they need to build it downtown.

There are good and bad points to both locations. Unless there is some major advantage (i.e. someone building the multi-hundred million area themselves) to it going on I-drive, I agree it 'should' go downtown. Ideally wherever it goes it will have public transport links going to it, and running late enough to keep people from being stranded at night.

What is Vista Cay? I'm sure I've seen billboards but I guess I don't get out much...

just east of the OCCC-- no billboards that I've seen. I think they have a website. no link, sorry.