Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Ok, but the agenda item reads:

BLUE ROSE SECOND AMMENDMENT

Request for Master Plan ammendment approval to add additional land, reconfigure parking, reduce to two towers.

From what I was hearing it is just the removal of the third tower that looks out of place anyway....The front two towers remain unchanged....

I was just in Marriott World's new ballroom under construction today. 240' x 450' and 31' 6" to low steel. They are claiming Biggest Ballroom status (without pillars). There isn't anything else that's bigger in Orlando until you go to the OCCC, and that's a cement floor, this will be carpeted with wall that are decorated I'm told although the steel will be open over head. Once that is open, the old Palms will get a facelift as the Crystal has. This will give them the ability to compete for the big shows, especially with the guest rooms. They always had the location plus the golf course. Should be interesting.

CMIIW (correct me if I'm wrong), but, isn't Blue Rose a 5 tower deal, or is it just that the first two towers are actually "L" shaped to give the illusion of 4 towers, plus the 5th one off to the side?

To me, it certainly looks like two "L" shaped towers connected giving the illusion of four. Have you seen the virtual tour on their website? The perspective tends to suggest the same.

Blue Rose virtual tour

Has there been any more word on the apparent reduction of this project? Are they dropping one tower or are they just reducing the size of one?

To me, it certainly looks like two "L" shaped towers connected giving the illusion of four. Have you seen the virtual tour on their website? The perspective tends to suggest the same.

Blue Rose virtual tour

Has there been any more word on the apparent reduction of this project? Are they dropping one tower or are they just reducing the size of one?

thanks. it makes sense. reduction of the other tower is nominal when you think about it. as long as the core structure is unaffected, then that's fine.

updates:

Blue Heron#2-- now it is the height of tower#1; looking big.

Reunion Grande-- exterior work nearing completion; beautifully ornate building. very nice tower.

THe Pointe condos-- 2 cranes on site now; didn't get a close look;

Regency (LBV)-- on floor 3 (I think they are just stacking concrete blocks as the frame for this? it's probably just the walls. they are taking their time with it, though.

Disney's rumored project now is on paper

Posted on 12/18/2006

Disney's rumored project now is on paper

--------------------

Scott Powers

Sentinel Staff Writer

December 16, 2006

Bulldozers might soon push around dirt in an area called Walt Disney World's "Western Beltway Development," but they would not be preparing the land for any immediate construction.

Reedy Creek Improvement District filed paperwork Thursday seeking state permission to clear and excavate a small part of a 330-acre site at the interchange of the new State Road 429 expressway and Disney's Western Way entrance road.

This fall, unconfirmed Internet reports pinpointed the area as a future Disney hotel, condominium, shopping and dining district known as the "Western Beltway Development." Disney officials would not discuss plans for the site, and until now would not acknowledge a "Western Beltway Development" exists.

The grading application filed Thursday with South Florida Water Management District publicly names the area as "Western Beltway Development," defines it as 330 acres and identifies it with maps. The application includes a consultant's report that says the site likely would be for "hotels, clubs, restaurants and similar tourist commercial use."

If developed, the site would effectively expand Walt Disney World to the west, creating a commercial center at the resort's new western entrance.

Disney and Reedy Creek officials said Friday that the proposed excavation work is not to prepare the site but to provide dirt that is needed elsewhere, at a grading project along Celebration Boulevard. Any resulting prep work at the Western Beltway Development would be "on a very preliminary basis," said Reedy Creek Executive Director Ray Maxwell.

Before Disney could build anything, Reedy Creek would have to approve development plans.

"From what I understand, it's still at corporate being reviewed," Maxwell said.

The grading application's maps outline Western Beltway Development as filling out the four corners around the new interchange and stretching eastward to Disney World's current boundary and westward across Hartzog Road. The application seeks permission to grade 31 acres of "remnant citrus groves" west of Hartzog.

Scott Powers can be reached at [email protected] or 407-420-5441.

Copyright © 2006, Orlando Sentinel {sodEmoji.|} Get home delivery - up to 50% off

Visit OrlandoSentinel.com

Down the road but not too distant future:

1. Blue Rose-- GB 2007 1st quarter?

2. Westin (U/C)

3. Hilton CC-- see Blue Rose

4. Peabody-- see Blue Rose

5. The Pointe (U/C)

6. Intercontinental-- sales center; timeframe?

7. Vista Cay (U/C)

8. Blue Heron (U/C)

9. LBV Res. & Spa (U/C)

10. Floridays (U/C nearing completion)

11. Regency (U/C)

12. Reunion Grande (U/C)

anything else?

Down the road but not too distant future:

1. Blue Rose-- GB 2007 1st quarter?

2. Westin (U/C)

3. Hilton CC-- see Blue Rose

4. Peabody-- see Blue Rose

5. The Pointe (U/C)

6. Intercontinental-- sales center; timeframe?

7. Vista Cay (U/C)

8. Blue Heron (U/C)

9. LBV Res. & Spa (U/C)

10. Floridays (U/C nearing completion)

11. Regency (U/C)

12. Reunion Grande (U/C)

anything else?

Is the Sage Resort still going up on Turkey Lake? Also I saw a sign right next to the Fountains on I-Drive for a high-rise called "Lake Eve Resort" or something of the sort. It looked like it would be over 15 stories.

Edited by Altimike

I couldn't get close enough to confirm it but there is a huge pile of dirt between the parking garage beside the 528 and the Convention Center. I think this is the spot where the Hilton is going. This thing might be under construction.

!!!

I need to research this. THis is HUGE news if true.

It is the Hilton.

The dirt is piled in order to settle before foundation work begins, if I am not mistaken.

Before the Rosen Plaza (Clarion Plaza), the Rosen Center (Omni) and Shingle Creek were built, the dirt piled and allowed to settle for 6 months before they could start foundation pilings. It is due to the soil condition in this part of town.

It is the Hilton.

The dirt is piled in order to settle before foundation work begins, if I am not mistaken.

Before the Rosen Plaza (Clarion Plaza), the Rosen Center (Omni) and Shingle Creek were built, the dirt piled and allowed to settle for 6 months before they could start foundation pilings. It is due to the soil condition in this part of town.

in case I missed it, welcome to the forum.

so, for sure this is the hilton site? I haven't seen it in person yet.

Piling dirt up on a site before construction is the easiest way to compact the soil a cubic yard of dirt weighs quite a bit depending on the type of soil. They did this in sanford on the north side of SR 46 just after you go past I4 heading to the west. Using compactors does not compact the soil to a great enough depth plus its a cheap way of preping the site. A Geo-engineer or one of his elves will go out and take soil sample borings occasionaly until the soil is compacted enough to begin construction. Geotech 101 :)

Edited by ORLANDOJBBOY