Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Down the road but not too distant future:

1. Blue Rose-- GB 2007 1st quarter?

2. Westin (U/C)

3. Hilton CC-- see Blue Rose

4. Peabody-- see Blue Rose

5. The Pointe (U/C)

6. Intercontinental-- sales center; timeframe?

7. Vista Cay (U/C)

8. Blue Heron (U/C)

9. LBV Res. & Spa (U/C)

10. Floridays (U/C nearing completion)

11. Regency (U/C)

12. Reunion Grande (U/C)

anything else?

Just drove by the Mona Lisa hotel project today. Looks to be on the 4th floor and it is MASSIVE. Very cool, unfortunately I did not have my camera.

in case I missed it, welcome to the forum.

so, for sure this is the hilton site? I haven't seen it in person yet.

Thx much. I have been following these forums for quite a some time, but have not been compelled to post until lately.

Below is a link to the Hilton Property. I would not expect any visible construction for a while yet.

http://paims.ocpafl.org/webmap/main.htm?cm...282401355700010

Zoom out and check the box by Feb 2006 for an aerial photo.

Merry Christmas to all. Please be safe. Two ppl were killed yesterday in front of our property due to careless driving.

Edited by montu2u

It is the Hilton.

The dirt is piled in order to settle before foundation work begins, if I am not mistaken.

Before the Rosen Plaza (Clarion Plaza), the Rosen Center (Omni) and Shingle Creek were built, the dirt piled and allowed to settle for 6 months before they could start foundation pilings. It is due to the soil condition in this part of town.

Does this procedure have to be done for the new Peabody tower?

Edited by That Crazy Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Webcam provides view of project's progress

With investor-owners located worldwide, from Ireland to South America, The Point Orlando Resort near the Orange County Convention Center faced a challenge in keeping buyers updated on progress of the two condo-hotel towers now rising near Wet 'n Wild.

Technology has done the trick. A live Web-camera shot offers viewers anywhere 24-hour visual access to the scene on Carrier Drive near Universal Boulevard.

"I always used to have to run out and snap pictures and send them out to people individually, but now this is very helpful. Anyone, anywhere in the world can watch the towers go up, with this dedicated webcam," said sales coordinator Debora Pludwinski. The Web address is thepointorlando.com

Towers one and two, being built by Winter Park Construction Co., are scheduled for completion in the second half of 2007. They are twin, 12-story buildings with 72 units each. Pludwinski said both towers are sold out, and sales for a planned third tower are scheduled to begin within the next two weeks.

Read More at OrlandoSentinel.com

pointorlandowebcamhd3.jpg

I don't like it. Looks like sloppily stacked sheets of paper to me. At least from this perspective.

You must be thinking of Center Place because the Peabody Tower looks outstanding. If the tower is indeed the same as the old one it is a new tallest...I-Drive looks like its going to steal Downtown's thunder this year. Peabody, Blue Rose, and Hilton are all a go..

Good point about I-Drive stealing downtown's thunder. Between The Blue Rose and The Peabody Expansion, that's 5 towers over 400-feet tall set to begin construction, already more than the number of 400 footers currently downtown or under construction.

And so begins the next wave of the Las Vegas Strip-ification of International Drive.

Westin Imagine-- is 2 floors from topping off. very nice.

Peabody-- that pic is the old 1,000 room tower. As for 400 footers in the I-Drive area, Blue Rose has decreased phase 1 to the two "L" shaped towers, according to that MPB latest report from a few weeks back. Peabody's new tower is supposed to only be 32 stories at 750 or so rooms, which means only 2 400 footers on I-Drive, not that I'm complaining.

Fairfield Bonnett Creek-- here's a surprise: 2 15 floor towers U/C and both topped off now (off of Chelonia Pkwy, near where Hilton is supposed to go (Waldorf proposal).

Updated list:

1. Blue Rose-- GB 2007 1st quarter?

2. Westin (U/C) (12-14 stories);

3. Hilton CC-- see Blue Rose

4. Peabody-- see Blue Rose

5. The Pointe (U/C) (#1 & #2, 12 stories each);

6. Intercontinental-- sales center; timeframe?

7. Vista Cay (U/C)

8. Blue Heron (U/C) (#2, at 23+ stories);

9. LBV Res. & Spa (U/C) (#3 & #4, 15 stories each);

10. Floridays (U/C nearing completion) (6 towers, 6-8 floors each)

11. Regency (U/C) (12-14 stories)

12. Reunion Grande (U/C) (12-14 stories)

13. Mona Lisa (U/C)

14. Fairfield Bonnet Creek (U/C) (two 15 story towers, among many 5-6 story towers);

15. Sheraton (timeshare) I-Drive, just north of Floridays (2-3 bldgs., 5-6 stories each U/C);

16. Timeshare just north of Floridays (same side of I-Drive) 1-2 new 7-8 story bldgs. U/C);

ahhh its hard not to get excited over the I-drive area

I think it has a lot of potential

I agree - If it essentially pays and occupies itself (tourists), yet provides all types of cool stuff to do for locals, why not support it and be excited about it? Hey, I LOVE to hit up Universal on a FRI/SAT night and eat at Tchoup Chop and then hit the Red Coconut Club. Yeah, somewhat touristy but better than many cities have and DAMN GOOD FOOD! Hell, I might even do a few tequila shots at Margaritaville (as touristy as they come) and then use my "preferred pass" to hit a few rides at IOA or USF (Do NOT try unless you have an iron stomach) :sick:. It's nice to have these options. I-drive right now is kind of sparse, unless you like T-Shirts. :) I look forward to what will become of this strip!

I could be totally off here, but don't you think eventually (like 20 years or something) that the attractions area will just mesh into D/T as one big D/T Orlando? The entire I-4 corridor is predicted to be one big swath of "metro" and our area is growing at a remarkably quick pace.

The only thing I really, really wish for is some type of train to get me to and from downtown to I-Drive and the theme parks. Lynx leaves a lot to be desired and tequila shots + driving on I-4 = a terrible decision.

Those cabs can get pricey! :(

A little off topic but I was just checking out Emporis as I do often and it seems they updated some of Orlando's stats, now they list our metro population at 2,563,902 which was previously listed at 1.9 million.

Talk about a fast growing area huh? And now they list Orlando as having 223 high rise buildings which I believe they had 213 listed before. But still the pathetic photos as before of Orlando, hopefully that changes soon!

I could be totally off here, but don't you think eventually (like 20 years or something) that the attractions area will just mesh into D/T as one big D/T Orlando? The entire I-4 corridor is predicted to be one big swath of "metro" and our area is growing at a remarkably quick pace.

20 years ago Orlando ended just South of the 408 and there really wasn't anything until you reached Kirkman. It seemed like you left Orlando and still had to drive to the attractions area. It's already grown together but I think it will continue to urbanize dramatically over the next 20 years.

I dont' know what to make of that one CorpKid only because of current zoning. 1-4 goes through very residential areas immediately south of downtown after OBT. Unless these areas are upzoned, I don't see much chance. I have, however, always felt that the intersection of John Young and I-4, where that hotel is (was) would make an excellent location for a massive tower.

I-Drive/Universal is fairly dense with development from 528 all the way to Oakridge. Now, Oakridge connects to Millennia the back way with continuous development all the way to JYP. THen, from there, depending on the route... you get the picture.

JYP & I-4 hotel-- was? are they tearing it down?

Ballari by Amon Investments (bringing these pics over from the Altamonte/Winter park thread)

Possible Orange County Tallest

ballari17rz8ux.jpg

The road that runs between the project in the 2nd picture is a missing section of International Drive that will be or is being constructed to run from 536 and makes a jog back into 535 and crosses to link up with the other section of International Drive that runs down into Osceola County.

ballari27sb0wb.jpg

Any new status on this or just another pipe dream?