Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Orlando Works to Broaden

Its Mickey Mouse Image

By Maura Webber Sadovi

Some 15,580 new Orlando-area hotel and condo-hotel rooms are in the planning, bidding and postbidding stages, the second-highest amount in the 54 major U.S. metropolitan areas surveyed by Property & Portfolio Research Inc., a Boston-based real-estate research firm. Only the Las Vegas area has more hotel rooms planned, at 19,555, PPR says.

http://www.realestatejournal.com/columnist...-blueprint.html

20061207-sadovi.jpg

Hilton hotels at Bonnet Creek, near Walt Disney World.

Funny, I interviewed with PPR in 2005. Wasn't interested in a move to Boston after a move back to NYC from SF. Great firm, though.

regarding that article, the Brookings guy is saying that Orlando is 3 decades too late to try to grow a biotech community. Well, it's not Orlando, its Florida that wanted to get Scripps and Burnham here (in FLA). Secondly, UF is also building a facility next to Burnham, and UF is already a research giant. THis will definitely help increase Orlando's "clout" to be a player in that industry.

As for the hotels issue, as long as the OCCC is luring new shows, the demand for big-box projects nearby will always be there. If Orlando continues to bring in new resort properties to compliment Disney and Universal, it will help solidify Orlando as a destination in and of itself, beyond Disney. How far beyond Disney... that I don't know.

So according to the article, SD has 60 research institutes.

Score: San Diego 60, Orlando 2 (once they are built)

While it is encouraging that Orlando is potentially attracting a few biotech and research firms, I feel Orlando is going about it all the wrong way. They should be encouraged to build in the city center, creating a cluster in an urban setting (i.e Kendall/MIT in Cambridge, MA).

It's money talking and the power of developers. Travistok, who owns a boat load of land in the Lake Nona area wants to keep selling very high-end housing there. Who better to than Doctors. So give a little acreage to UCF for a med school - and the politicians can't refuse. Free land! That snowballs to Burnham, a Vets Hospital and possibly Nemours. Travistok now gets to develop at the high-end to it's heart's content, the city incorporates for the taxes .... and we get the rapid spread the sprawl in a whole new direction.

I'm all for the school and the hospitals but I think the location sucks. And while there is alot to be said about the good that comes out of the synergy of putting everything together, I think the location that Nemours really wants in SW Orlando is by far better.

It's money talking and the power of developers. Travistok, who owns a boat load of land in the Lake Nona area wants to keep selling very high-end housing there. Who better to than Doctors. So give a little acreage to UCF for a med school - and the politicians can't refuse. Free land! That snowballs to Burnham, a Vets Hospital and possibly Nemours. Travistok now gets to develop at the high-end to it's heart's content, the city incorporates for the taxes .... and we get the rapid spread the sprawl in a whole new direction.

I'm all for the school and the hospitals but I think the location sucks. And while there is alot to be said about the good that comes out of the synergy of putting everything together, I think the location that Nemours really wants in SW Orlando is by far better.

which SW location? was is Millenia?

So according to the article, SD has 60 research institutes.

Score: San Diego 60, Orlando 2 (once they are built)

that's okay. SD has 60 companies being funded by our tax dollars. CFLA has one LARGE agency being funded by the same: NASA.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting partnership with Blue Rose. See below.

On Friday, January 26, The Blue Rose will have costumes worn by lead characters in this season's productions of Masterworks: The Genius of George Balanchine, Spartacus, Swan Lake and The Nutcracker, in The Blue Rose Preview Center, courtesy of the Orlando Ballet. The costumes will be on display for one day only from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. For more information regarding this event, call Jo Maldonado at 407-896-1145.

sorry, no pix, but Pointe Orlando is starting to look very nice. another couple of establishments have been completed along i-Drive and you can clearly see new structures withing the complex taking shape. this place is going to be amazing.

Orlando new retail:

1. Pointe Orlando redo

2. Belz-Prime redo and expansion

3. SoDo

4. Winter Garden Village

5. Waterford Lakes T.C. west expansion (last 6 mos.)

6. *Loop West Kissimmee

7. WalMart SC Turkey Lake

8. PTP

that's alot of new retail.

Considering the fact that there is much debate and controversy over the new arena, PAC and stadium renovations based on the supposed fact that there is a decline in tourism that might lead to a tax inflow issue, is this in fact true?

Has attendance here really dipped low enough that hoteliers and county officials are worried about the income that will come in based on the tax?

Considering all the new hotel projects coming, is the dip an exaggeration or a valid concern?

Considering the fact that there is much debate and controversy over the new arena, PAC and stadium renovations based on the supposed fact that there is a decline in tourism that might lead to a tax inflow issue, is this in fact true?

Has attendance here really dipped low enough that hoteliers and county officials are worried about the income that will come in based on the tax?

Considering all the new hotel projects coming, is the dip an exaggeration or a valid concern?

well orlando just invested I believe 76 million big ones on a mega advertising campaign. And I do believe our tourism is doing just fine. Especially with the whole orlando area thriving with fantastic new areas.

I really expect and hope to see a spike in tourism and more construction on the I-drive area.

It would be fantastic to add I-drive as a viable spot to visit on its own.

There has been constant back and forth arguments on the Triple crown issue for a while.

But from what I can gather, I dont see the hotel tax issue as an actual impediment to the success of this project. I fully expect to see it completed by its 2010 projected deadline. Especially the OPAC, that has more legs than these other projects.

HI

Just new to the site. I am a big fan of Orlando (well who wouldnt be ..sitting here in rainy cold Scotland)...wanted to ask ..

Does anyone have any up to date pics of the Pointe Orlando redevelopment?

What about the Belz/Prime changes - any news?

Aquatica at Seaworld - again any updates?

Whats happening with the Mercado on I Drive - it seems to be getting more and more run down each time I visit - have just read that the Cricketers Armd in moving to Festival Bay - surely this leaves the Mercado virtually empty.............

Don't have any pictures, but the Point Orlando project is coming along well. There's a new Italian restaurant opening today called Maggiano's. It's a chain, but a little more upscale. A lot of the other stores and restaurants should be opening soon. It looks nice and more inviting from the street.

It's actually kind of cool and rainy in Orlando today...

Don't have any pictures, but the Point Orlando project is coming along well. There's a new Italian restaurant opening today called Maggiano's. It's a chain, but a little more upscale. A lot of the other stores and restaurants should be opening soon. It looks nice and more inviting from the street.

If you've never been, Maggiano's is an excellent restaurant. The entrees are huge, so share!

well its cool and a wee bit sunny here (for a change)..whats the weather like in April - I'm heady over for my first pilgramage this year

well its cool and a wee bit sunny here (for a change)..whats the weather like in April - I'm heady over for my first pilgramage this year

welcome.

that's funny. You live somewhere where I want to go visit. I was in Oxford/London last year and loved it-- didn't have an opportunity to go up to Scottland.

HI

Just new to the site. I am a big fan of Orlando (well who wouldnt be ..sitting here in rainy cold Scotland)...wanted to ask ..

Does anyone have any up to date pics of the Pointe Orlando redevelopment?

What about the Belz/Prime changes - any news?

Aquatica at Seaworld - again any updates?

Whats happening with the Mercado on I Drive - it seems to be getting more and more run down each time I visit - have just read that the Cricketers Armd in moving to Festival Bay - surely this leaves the Mercado virtually empty.............

The Belz/Prime outlets are opening in 2 phases:

Phase 1 (includes Neiman Marcus) is scheduled to open this May

Phase 2 is schedule for summer 2008

yea, the humidity takes some getting used to if ur not used to it, but after a few days its not so bad as long as you are dressed right

but welcome to the board, hope you enjoy yourself while your here....

Shortly after you come here I should be doing a UK tour, so maybe i'll end up in your neck of the woods

I love the neighborhoods, cities and communities over there.....just waiting for American's to catch on that we need to stop surburbon sprawl and soon(yep im going to gripe about it agian, if you couldn't tell my disdain for suburbon sprawl)

all the same, what do you plan on doing down here merlin

I am a huge theme park fan so will be covering all of the usual suspects but the last couple of times I have visited I have been venturing further afield and looking at the kinds of homes which are selling.....any prime real estate areas that I should look into? I will be considering a move over to Orlando within the next 5 years (life planning is so passe!)

This time I am bringing along a friend with her 7yo son - they are Orlando/US vigins so it should be entertaining for them.

The Belz/Prime outlets are opening in 2 phases:

Phase 1 (includes Neiman Marcus) is scheduled to open this May

Phase 2 is schedule for summer 2008

fascinating.

I wonder if the southern-most building is the one opening in May; it's walls are still up. How are they going to do that? Is there a website with a rendering? I'm going to do some checking around.

I just went to the website. www.primeoutlets.com

July 2007 is phase 1. Just like I thought, it's Mall 2 opening first, with the other to follow in 2008. there are 3 pix on that website showing digital renderings of some elevations. it looks nice... Personally, I am really excited about Pointe Orlando's new look.

Rosen is planning on renovating the Rosen Plaza and Rosen Centre while building a new hotel in between the two to connnect them and making it one huge hotel. The front facing I-Drive will have what they are calling a Mini Millenia Mall and the whole thing will have a connection to the Convention Center...