Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I know I'm not a moderator, but here it is from the Rules section of UrbanPlanet:

Posting of News Clippings, News Links and other Copyrighted Material

The act of simply cutting an article (or part of an article) from an newspaper or other news source and pasting it here without comment is not appreciated and is not allowed at UrbanPlanet. These will be deleted and you may be suspended or banned for doing so.

You may post a very short clip from the article if the source allows it. NO MORE THAN A COUPLE OF SENTENCES. Do not post any copyrighted material if the source does not allow it. Do not create a post that simply contains a link. You must post commentary on why this link is relevant to the topic it is posted in. Your cooperation will be appreciated.

Posts where the first part of the article is copied and a link to the rest of the article are not allowed.

Hope this helps!

Never seen many blogs where at least some fair use is not allowed. The key to me is if the snippet posted is likely to bring someone to the source to look at their whole article and therefore ads.

Very few countries have made a big deal of this, such as small newspapers in Belgium.

great shot.

BTW, I spoke with a friend in the industry recently. I was told that the new manager for the Waldorf has received dozens of emails every day from people wanting to book rooms when it opens. Also, groundbreaking announcement of the Hilton OCCC has renewed talks from another hotel chain showing renewed interest in pursuing a location across from the OCCC as well. As for Peabody, well .... the good news is that we are getting the Hilton!

Looks like they could put a spinning restaurant on the top. Does anyone know what is planned up there on the conning tower?

Cool, i have been working on the plans for this site, off and on and it is nice to actually see what it will look like from a architechual standpoint, considering i have been doing just site work parking lots, and drainage stuff.

db_Contemp_DVC_Wing_art1.jpg

Disney just released a new rendering of the contemporary addition

also it has been confirmed that Universal won the rights to Harry Potter and the Kuka Robotic Coaster technology

http://www.screamscape.com/html/islands_of_adventure.htm

andddd also found something about a new "haunted" attraction that will be under construction soon

http://www.screamscape.com/html/orlando.htm

hmmmm thats very strange considering Disney isn't releasing anything to the public on this project,, even cast members are being told not to discuss it. so Disney did NOT release this picture it was leaked or stolen.

Will this new hotel be linked to the monorail? It looks like it is being built just far enough away from the track as not to be convenient. You would think it would be incorporated into the stop with the Contemporary. Maybe it is somehow and it doesn't show up in the rendering.

No, but a skywalk will connect old with new.

• 2 weeks later...

Two new tower cranes have been erected on the opposite side of I-4 across from Dixie Stampede. Anyone know which project this is?

it's probably the Midtown project. either the Hilton Grand Vacations towers (16 stories? each) or the Wyndham 30 story towers in the same development. been a while since I'd been down there.

Finally made it down to Pointe Orlando last night for a movie. They didn't do much at all to that place.

Noticed a sign for BB King's Blues Club coming soon. Anybody know anything about it?

Is Pointe Orlando where the IMAX theater is supposed to be? I heard that place is garbage. Just curious on how your movie going experience was.

Is Pointe Orlando where the IMAX theater is supposed to be? I heard that place is garbage. Just curious on how your movie going experience was.

I didn't see the IMAX movie. It is Spiderman 3, which I have heard blows massive chunks. For the most part, there haven't been any changes. The concession stands are exactly the same. Regal didn't change anything. From what I could tell, there are no new seats, paint or carpet. I know the IMAX got a new projector and I think I remember hearing that all the projectors would be going digital and those would be new. I will have to double check that info. If so, that is a major undertaking as projectors can get into six figures each. I also can't remember if the IMAX screen was being redone or if that's the same. I remember seeing a Harry Potter movie on the IMAX with the old projector and I was disappointed due to a blurry area in the upper right of the screen. I'm sure the new projector will take care of that.

I didn't see the IMAX movie. It is Spiderman 3, which I have heard blows massive chunks. For the most part, there haven't been any changes. The concession stands are exactly the same. Regal didn't change anything. From what I could tell, there are no new seats, paint or carpet. I know the IMAX got a new projector and I think I remember hearing that all the projectors would be going digital and those would be new. I will have to double check that info. If so, that is a major undertaking as projectors can get into six figures each. I also can't remember if the IMAX screen was being redone or if that's the same. I remember seeing a Harry Potter movie on the IMAX with the old projector and I was disappointed due to a blurry area in the upper right of the screen. I'm sure the new projector will take care of that.

I went there last week to see Spider-Man 3. The IMAX screen is now an IMAX screen, it goes all the way up to the celing & there are speakers behind the screen. My eye isn't good enough to tell if they have new projectors or not. I've always liked this theatre and I'm glad it's an actual IMAX now.

I went there last week to see Spider-Man 3. The IMAX screen is now an IMAX screen, it goes all the way up to the celing & there are speakers behind the screen. My eye isn't good enough to tell if they have new projectors or not. I've always liked this theatre and I'm glad it's an actual IMAX now.

Green Room Orlando article

not sure if this means it is a new projector or not

I've seen Spiderman 3 twice (once at 1 am) on Imax twice there.The theater and all of Pointe Orlando is looking better now then it was. It's a great deal too. I spent $12 on my ticket and got free popcorn and soda with my ticket to Imax.

Edited by Violindude

I've seen Spiderman 3 twice (once at 1 am) on Imax twice there.The theater and all of Pointe Orlando is looking better now then it was. It's a great deal too. I spent $12 on my ticket and got free popcorn and soda with my ticket to Imax.

RE: free popcorn and soda.... That was a special Regal was running from their re-opening on the 4th through today, may 13th.

Universal City Orlando

Overview

The applicant is requesting approval for an amendment to the original Universal City Master Plan, which was approved on January 11, 1988. The proposed uses are (1) resort hotel; (2) timeshare units; (3) multi-family residential; (4) office; (5) retail; and (6) commercial resort dwelling unit. These uses are designed to complement the existing site uses which include two theme parks (Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure), hotel units, and commercial (Universal CityWalk). The multi-family residential component is intended by the applicant to serve as "workforce housing" primarily for employees of the Universal Studios Park and resort area.

The site is approximately 800 total acres, with about 104 undeveloped acres which are the substance of this Master Plan Amendment request. Parcel "D" as indicated on the boundary survey is slated to be developed as a resort area, while outparcels fronting Vineland Road will contain the proposed multifamily residential units and 45,000 sq. ft. of support commercial.

Recently, the applicant has proposed the following mix of the aforementioned units:

Multifamily - 316 units

Commercial 45,2000 sq. ft.

Office - 120,000 sq. ft.

Hotel - 2,600 rooms

universal1lb9.jpg

universal2ji8.jpg

Work begins on convention center Hilton

Orlando Business Journal Article

SUMMARY:

The Hilton Hotel group broke ground today at the Orange County Convention Center, the site of their newest mega-hotel. The $380 million 18-story hotel will feature 1,400 rooms and be connected to the North and South wings of the convention center via a skybridge. It is scheduled to open in the summer of 2009.

Work begins on convention center Hilton

Orlando Business Journal Article

SUMMARY:

The Hilton Hotel group broke ground today at the Orange County Convention Center, the site of their newest mega-hotel. The $380 million 18-story hotel will feature 1,400 rooms and be connected to the North and South wings of the convention center via a skybridge. It is scheduled to open in the summer of 2009.

Does anyone have access to renderings of this Hilton?