Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

my question is simply: where will that attraction go inside Islands? will they expand Islands, or convert an existing island within Islands?

from the FAQ section of that website...

A portion of what is currently the Lost Continent will be devoted to the new environment, as well as an undeveloped area that is currently not in use.

my question is simply: where will that attraction go inside Islands? will they expand Islands, or convert an existing island within Islands?

Both,

Hogwarts Castle will be in the emply land between the Flying Unicorn and Jurassic Park.

The area at the Entrance to the Dueling Dragons will will be converted to Hogmeads Village.

The entrance to the existing Dueling Dragons Castle will be enhanced, (Maybe a new name to the coasters?)

An entrance to the World of Wizarding just past Sindbad.

This link is to a high res rendering. You are facing West with the Flying Unicorn in the upper middle and the existing Castle in the upper right.

http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/files/HA...ptart_large.jpg

click on the enarge button on the bottom right of the pic to explore the details.

Photo of location in the park.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8620801@N02/525120980/

Of course, much may change before it is done.

Edited by montu2u

'Grand' plans for North I-Drive hinge on overpass

Hagco Corp. seeks approval for $200M-plus, mixed-use towers.

Orlando Business Journal Blurb

SUMMARY:

I'm unable to read the entire article because I don't subscribe to OBJ but it mentions that a new I-4 overpass near International Drive would be partially funded by Hagco Corp., who is planning on constructing a $200 million dual-tower condo hotel in the area. Anybody with more info on this?

Edited by bic

SUMMARY:

I'm unable to read the entire article because I don't subscribe to OBJ but it mentions that a new I-4 overpass near International Drive would be partially funded by Hagco Corp., who is planning on constructing a $200 million dual-tower condo hotel in the area. Anybody with more info on this?

This is, I believe, the Grandnational Dr. project that's on the July MPB agenda -- hence the "grand" in the article's title. It would be on the southeast side of where Oak Ridge/Grandnational currently curves from its east-west alignment to a north-south alignment, running parallel to I-4 before ultimately looping back to I-Drive. Basically, it would be across Oak Ridge/Grandnational from Prime Outlets (formerly Belz). This new development is also adjacent to the Altamira project that was before the MPB a few months back.

As for the overpass, I've tried to find alignments on-line, but to no avail. Basically, though, it's due to run from the current east-west alignment of Oak Ridge/Grandnational, across I-4, and to Caravan Court and Major Blvd., by the hotels and the Cracker Barrel. There would be no interchange, just the overpass.

[Edit]

Indeed, it is that parcel of land I was thinking of. They're planning 2 towers -- one 20-story, one 32-story. The city has conditioned approval upon the developer contributing towards the overpass, among other things. The city's also requiring that the developer contribute to extending Altamira all the way to Grandnational from Int'l.

And it was the Douglas Grand project that's next door -- the one I was mentioning earlier, which was before the MPB a few months back. That one is 750 hotel rooms, 250 residential units and 50K s.f. of retail. They contributed 1.6M to the overpass.

orl_grdntl.jpg

Edited by i_cre8

SUMMARY:

The Rendering is quite interesting and I will post later. One is 32 stories and the other around 20.

Speaking of the I-Drive area -- and I apologize, I know this is more tailored to the "Freeways, Roads..." thread, but I figured while we were on the topic of upgrades to the I-Drive area -- here's the alignment of the Kirkman Extension. This is a bit old, so I'm not sure if it still extends all the way to the Beach Line -- I think as it's aligned now it might encroach into the space that's to be inhabited by the intermodal center. Still, it would be convenient to plug into the back of Aquatica south of the Beach Line.

kirkmn-ext.jpg

Both,

Hogwarts Castle will be in the emply land between the Flying Unicorn and Jurassic Park.

The area at the Entrance to the Dueling Dragons will will be converted to Hogmeads Village.

The entrance to the existing Dueling Dragons Castle will be enhanced, (Maybe a new name to the coasters?)

An entrance to the World of Wizarding just past Sindbad.

This link is to a high res rendering. You are facing West with the Flying Unicorn in the upper middle and the existing Castle in the upper right.

http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/files/HA...ptart_large.jpg

click on the enarge button on the bottom right of the pic to explore the details.

Photo of location in the park.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8620801@N02/525120980/

Of course, much may change before it is done.

OMG this is so cool! It looks like the Hogwarts castle will give Cinderellas castle a run for its money. I cant wait to see more detailed renderings of this project. It looks like people will be able to see that castle for miles I wonder how tall it is.

Dr. Doom's Fearfall

Dueling Dragons

Incredible Hulk Coaster

Jurassic Park River Adventure

Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls

None of these are tall at all. :rolleyes:

Considering the castle will be the icon of the park's new 7th island, I'd imagine it to stand out prominently. That said, I agree that Universal Creative will try to keep it from being visible from certain locations...like from the JPRA river itself.

JP is so heavy in foliage, I don't think they'll have a difficult time keeping Hogwarts from being too visible. Regardless, most areas already have a view of the whole park as it is, so I don't see what the major deal is.

I'm just excited about getting to see this completed! As much as I thought this would be my last summer working for Univers-hell, I might stay seasonal and work a shift now and again until 2009 with this news...

Dr. Doom's Fearfall

Dueling Dragons

Incredible Hulk Coaster

Jurassic Park River Adventure

Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls

None of these are tall at all. :rolleyes:

Relatively speaking ... they really aren't, and you can't see most of those structures unless you're in a certain place, which is all that matters. The new castle depicted in the concept art is unrealistically tall because it'll be RIGHT beside Jurassic Park River Adventure. There wouldn't really be any way of masking something that size in such close proximity. They'll probably use forced perspective or something.

JP is so heavy in foliage, I don't think they'll have a difficult time keeping Hogwarts from being too visible. Regardless, most areas already have a view of the whole park as it is, so I don't see what the major deal is.

Yes, you can clearly see the other islands around the lagoon, but there isn't anything like a giant castle looming directly over another island. No amount of foilage would hide that thing if it were built as depicted. In fact, you'd get a pretty clear shot of it if you were to stand in front of that one fast food joint (the name escapes me.)

Edited by F-L-A

Again, I apologize for being somewhat off-topic -- this probably should go under the "Freeways..." thread, but it's also relating to the I-Drive/attractions area -- this is what they're planning to do to the Kirkman interchange...

i-4_kirk_interx.jpg

man, I don't care where you post this stuff-- so long as you post it!

wow, just what the FDOT doctor ordered. tear down Kirkman Road once and for all-- what a waste of space.

did you see the new footprint of Prime Outlets? this thing is going to be huge. (wrong photo)

the overpass-- yes, yes, I've been crying for a link to the other side of I-4 for so long-- this is perfect.

Edited by JRS1

Relatively speaking ... they really aren't, and you can't see most of those structures unless you're in a certain place, which is all that matters. The new castle depicted in the concept art is unrealistically tall because it'll be RIGHT beside Jurassic Park River Adventure. There wouldn't really be any way of masking something that size in such close proximity. They'll probably use forced perspective or something.

Yes, you can clearly see the other islands around the lagoon, but there isn't anything like a giant castle looming directly over another island. No amount of foilage would hide that thing if it were built as depicted. In fact, you'd get a pretty clear shot of it if you were to stand in front of that one fast food joint (the name escapes me.)

I think if they are smart the castle will be visible from i4 and all the surrounding areas. It's easy to hide the castle from view if they want to from specific areas inside the park. I agree this will be the icon of the park just as Cinderellas castle epcot ball etc is to Disney. Imagine seeing that mountain with the castle atop for miles in every direction, what a presence that will create! Besides Disney doesn't have anything cool as harry potter this is a great opportunity for universal to one up them on a very visible scale.

I say go as big and as grandiose as feasibly possible!

Edited by macrocosim144

Are the first and second renderings even the same design?

They're actually two towers -- two phases. First rendering is "front" view (looking southwest), second is "rear" view (looking northeast).

condotel? I think I've seen the site a few months back.

yep. From $600s - over $1M.

Edited by i_cre8