Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Just dreaming here, but a monorail service to all of the major hotels and Convention Center would pay dividends.

I don't know about this

According to Wikipedia, the Las Vegas Monorail is attempting a 2 1/2 mile extension and the cost of which will be around $400 million dollars plus the 14 mile long expansion of the Seattle Monorail would have had a cost of $2 billion or more but has since been cancelled

The riderships are high in these 2 markets and are bringing in revenue but it will be many decades before it would be even remotely paid off

Disney built their system 35 years ago when it was much cheaper and god bless them for doing so but I think such a thing in Orlando, even in the tourist corridor might be way too cost prohibitive unless the tourist tax is raised yet again

^^^

I forgot... the OCCC garage near the 528 ramp has a charter bus sized shuttle bus that shuttles you to the OCCC.

an AGT could be the way to go--- maybe make it at grade at points and elevated at others. run it along Universal Blvd-- oh, almost forgot, what would Watson say about that?

why not do an I-Drive Lymmo? forget the cheap trolley that looks like a bath tub on wheel-barrel wheels. get a full blown bus-- recycle what we have, and get some super transit on that street-- just like in DT.

We had something like that before the trolleys. They were full buses with a neon I-Ride on the front.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is the project I think it is, it's a Hilton Resort on Palm Parkway. You should see it at night... two lonely tower cranes with BRIGHT lights in the middle of nowhere. It's pretty cool actually.

That's the one.

Hilton is out of control. Four projects under construction at the same time within a few miles of one another.

They have started the Demo on Skull Kingdom to make way for the Universal/I Drive workers 333-unit apartment complex. The only info I've seen is that the new building will be four (whopping) stories and will have a Camden like wood-frame. The apartments will wrap around a parking garage to save real estate and is being developed by Broad Street Partners. Rents will range from $850 to $1,200 a month.

They have started the Demo on Skull Kingdom to make way for the Universal/I Drive workers 333-unit apartment complex. The only info I've seen is that the new building will be four (whopping) stories and will have a Camden like wood-frame. The apartments will wrap around a parking garage to save real estate and is being developed by Broad Street Partners. Rents will range from $850 to $1,200 a month.

P7290010.jpg

:rofl:

I snapped a bunch of Camden photos last week-- not posted yet. gotta tell you all, it is a combo of siding and brick and looks sharper than the renderings... not too bad of a project at this point.

so for low-rise downtown relatively new residential inventory, we've got:

1. Lincoln at Delaney

2. Post Parkside/ mixed

3. Thornton Park Central/ mixed

4. Cheney Place

5. Uptown Echelon

6. *Camden/mixed

is there more? Eola South, but that's pure condo and all concrete like TPC.

What are the 3 other projects?

It's the Hilton at the Convention Center, the Waldorf Astoria at Disney and what else exactly?

1. Hilton Vac. Club at Premium Outlets is still expanding-- several towers-- at least 8;

2. this Hilton Vac. Club (Grand vacations) at Midtown-- two towers;

3. Waldorf Bonnet Creek

4. Hilton Bonnet Creek

5. Hilton OCCC

that's all I know of the projects broken down.

Random thought: While driving down south Kirkman Rd (past the Turnpike overpass) I noticed how dark and unsafe for pedestrians that road is. No sooner do I think that when I see a tourist almost get hit by a car while trying to cross the road from the AmSouth bank area over to the McDonald's/Hooters area. Can't something be done to make that stretch of road a lot safer for tourists? More lighting? More signage that tells people where everything is?

I think we often overlook that yes, I-Drive may be the main tourist drag, but the overspill is now reaching Kirkman/Major Blvd due to Universal Orlando's increasing popularity. South Kirkman has been drab and dark for years, but now, it's time to modernize and liven up that spot in the tourist corridor.

I know that the city envisions a sort of "Grand Boulevard" akin to Paris' "Champs-Elseeys", but that is only supposed to run from Sand Lake Rd. to International Dr. IMO, that vision should go all the way up to the Turnpike. Oh, and an interchange with the Turnpike wouldn't be so bad either.

Random thought: While driving down south Kirkman Rd (past the Turnpike overpass) I noticed how dark and unsafe for pedestrians that road is. No sooner do I think that when I see a tourist almost get hit by a car while trying to cross the road from the AmSouth bank area over to the McDonald's/Hooters area. Can't something be done to make that stretch of road a lot safer for tourists? More lighting? More signage that tells people where everything is?

I think we often overlook that yes, I-Drive may be the main tourist drag, but the overspill is now reaching Kirkman/Major Blvd due to Universal Orlando's increasing popularity. South Kirkman has been drab and dark for years, but now, it's time to modernize and liven up that spot in the tourist corridor.

I know that the city envisions a sort of "Grand Boulevard" akin to Paris' "Champs-Elseeys", but that is only supposed to run from Sand Lake Rd. to International Dr. IMO, that vision should go all the way up to the Turnpike. Oh, and an interchange with the Turnpike wouldn't be so bad either.

I think FDOT is redoing the Kirkman-I-4 interchange.

also, I agree. they should take LMB's ped overpasses and put them on Kirkman road-- near Major Blvd. for starters. that's a deathtrap.