Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

The indoor mini golf looked like it was thrown in at the last minute.

that's because it was...

Festival Bay was the brainchild of Belz. except that 9/11 slowed things down a few years... initially, every one of the retailers was listed on its website. then one day, they disappeared. then, FB had to start from scratch signing new tenants. not sure what happened. all I know is that Belz across the street was bought by Prime, and Festival bay was bought by another company (or at least changed hands)...

I think Baker Barrios is designing the new hotel for Universal. Found this on their website and it has the rides in the background as well as the twin Double Tree's, and what looks to be our downtown edited in.

hotelefz4.jpg

This may not be news to anyone though.

That's definately Nabavi's real estate on the right corner so I assume that's Turkey Lake Road in the foreground.

I think Baker Barrios is designing the new hotel for Universal. Found this on their website and it has the rides in the background as well as the twin Double Tree's, and what looks to be our downtown edited in.

hotelefz4.jpg

This may not be news to anyone though.

Good find. That looks like Dr. Phillips H.S. in the foreground. That puts the hotels where the Universal employee parking is, or right next too it.

Good find. That looks like Dr. Phillips H.S. in the foreground. That puts the hotels where the Universal employee parking is, or right next too it.

Not Dr Phillips HS, that is the water treatment plant off of Wallace Rd. This plot is located directly across Turkey Lake from the Orange Tree Golf Course. South of IOA.

looking at the empty lot behind the rendering...it makes me think that Universal should build a soccer stadium there to challeneg Disney Worldwide of Sport.

soccer? what is that?? Americans will never catch on to soccer. Even if David Beckham played every game in that stadium, you probably couldn't even have one possible sellout. It was hard enough to get a new arena and an 'upgraded' citrus bowl, no smart investor would ever waste their money on soccer in Orlando.

What Universal is missing on their property is an animal themed park. They could have a small animal park like Animal Kingdom, but animals that are trained. The reason I say this is because then they could sell tickets to the park attraction AND they could be used for filming on the backlots. That would be a great selling tool for production. I don't think any major studio has anything like it. They could make money from the animals in two ways. Sounds good for corporate ears. You still keep the animals behind protective barriers (either thick plexiglass or iron bars) like you normally find in a zoo, but the park visitors are watching the trainers work with the animals. Pretty much like Sea World for land based animals.

I posted this rendering almost at least 6 months to a year ago. The consensus on this board was that this is quite a dated rendering and whatever goes up on this land in the future will not resemble the illustration above.

What Universal is missing on their property is an animal themed park. They could have a small animal park like Animal Kingdom, but animals that are trained. The reason I say this is because then they could sell tickets to the park attraction AND they could be used for filming on the backlots. That would be a great selling tool for production. I don't think any major studio has anything like it. They could make money from the animals in two ways. Sounds good for corporate ears. You still keep the animals behind protective barriers (either thick plexiglass or iron bars) like you normally find in a zoo, but the park visitors are watching the trainers work with the animals. Pretty much like Sea World for land based animals.

the water taxi system at Universal is top notch. the new hotel they say will be part of the system. I think that as long as each new hotel has a very popular restaurant or bar or some other attraction within it, then it will fit in well with the overall entertainment experience they have set up thus far. Royal Pacific has Chop Chop which is usually packed. Palm at Hard Rock, and the other one at Portofino Bay.

something about the water taxi system... kind of like what you see in London and Amsterdam. Europeans love that stuff. Shoot, everyone loves that stuff. They need to continue expanding it...

I think what Universal should do next is build a space needle, like in LV (height issues aside). It would be the perfect place for one. Even Niagra has a couple of those--- and they're not that tall.

the water taxi system at Universal is top notch. the new hotel they say will be part of the system. I think that as long as each new hotel has a very popular restaurant or bar or some other attraction within it, then it will fit in well with the overall entertainment experience they have set up thus far. Royal Pacific has Chop Chop which is usually packed. Palm at Hard Rock, and the other one at Portofino Bay.

something about the water taxi system... kind of like what you see in London and Amsterdam. Europeans love that stuff. Shoot, everyone loves that stuff. They need to continue expanding it...

I think what Universal should do next is build a space needle, like in LV (height issues aside). It would be the perfect place for one. Even Niagra has a couple of those--- and they're not that tall.

Just imagine if they extended their water taxi canals out to I-Drive either out by Wet n Wild or closer to the Southwest end of their property by the Sand Lake Blvd/I-Drive intersection. Talk about bring the tourists right in!

What Orlando needs is a Park decaded to Sports Rides and Shows.

What a great idea!

I could see Disney doing a park with four separate areas NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA.

Rides could be based on former stars from each sport. Babe Ruth roller coaster.

Wilt Chamberlain tunnel of love. :lol: , etc...

The kiddie area could be soccer.

the more I think about it, when you think of this place tourism-wise, we really do have a great product. Specifically, we have 4 distinct complexes integrated with water taxi transit (Universal, MK resort area, EPCOT resort area, Downtown Disney resort area), and the Monorail linkup with, in essence, two of those resort areas.

the more I think about it, when you think of this place tourism-wise, we really do have a great product. Specifically, we have 4 distinct complexes integrated with water taxi transit (Universal, MK resort area, EPCOT resort area, Downtown Disney resort area), and the Monorail linkup with, in essence, two of those resort areas.

Just think what a water taxi system would be like if they built one to connect Lake Lucerne, to Lake Eola, to Lake Ivanhoe? THAT would put downtown Orlando on the map. Especially if retail and restaurant were integrated along the shores. Lake Lucerne from the south shores to the north would make a great lakefront dining and strolling experience with views of downtown. There is already residential close-by. Add some mixed-use midrises and BAM! On the way to Eola there could be a stop at the PAC. We already have a few hotels on Lake Ivanhoe and it would add business to the Antique District.

Dammit... did someone just wake me?

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

Just think what a water taxi system would be like if they built one to connect Lake Lucerne, to Lake Eola, to Lake Ivanhoe? THAT would put downtown Orlando on the map. Especially if retail and restaurant were integrated along the shores. Lake Lucerne from the south shores to the north would make a great lakefront dining and strolling experience with views of downtown. There is already residential close-by. Add some mixed-use midrises and BAM! On the way to Eola there could be a stop at the PAC. We already have a few hotels on Lake Ivanhoe and it would add business to the Antique District.

Dammit... did someone just wake me?

great vision. Oklahome City, I heard, is in the process of completing a Riverwalk-type project in its downtown just like SA.

getting a canal from Lake Ivanhoe/Cherokee to Eola would be... a project, to say the least. Lucerne has really got it going on, I agree... but the distances from each other seem too great for the $$$ that it would take to do that...

There is a gallery/art boutique that will be opening soon on my block. They just started moving in this weekend and it will be urban art. They set up a turntable with some floor speakers, so they will be spinning, too. It is on the block north of Dynetech just after WBQ. I didn't ask them what name they are giving it. The gallery is taking over the spot that was a cell phone store.

There is a gallery/art boutique that will be opening soon on my block. They just started moving in this weekend and it will be urban art. They set up a turntable with some floor speakers, so they will be spinning, too. It is on the block north of Dynetech just after WBQ. I didn't ask them what name they are giving it. The gallery is taking over the spot that was a cell phone store.

I know that the Wireless Solutions store was art gallery before it was a cell phone store. My coworkers tell me it was called "Artlando" or somthing to that effect, but I did see the signs and some of the artwork on the wall.

Edited by codypet