Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

man, that Hilton at the OCCC is such a huge deal. we are so fortunate that it's being built. That will really elevate our convention product big time. same goes for Peabody's second tower-- but I'll do a wait and see on that for right now.

Pointe Orlando's renovations I think have helped the OCCC more than we realize--- I took it for granted, but those conventioneers need that entertainment option near the facility.

although Westin might just end up being the one tower, I hope Rosen's ego gets him off his butt to do that project he talked about last year, then ORL would have a real coup on their hands.

man, that Hilton at the OCCC is such a huge deal. we are so fortunate that it's being built. That will really elevate our convention product big time. same goes for Peabody's second tower-- but I'll do a wait and see on that for right now.

Pointe Orlando's renovations I think have helped the OCCC more than we realize--- I took it for granted, but those conventioneers need that entertainment option near the facility.

although Westin might just end up being the one tower, I hope Rosen's ego gets him off his butt to do that project he talked about last year, then ORL would have a real coup on their hands.

I agree with the Pointe. The last time I was there is was bustling with activity; though it still has a long way to go before reaching its potential (many stores are still vacant). I'm still not sure how the Square will be viable being so close to the Pointe. If they are looking for an extension of the types of stores and/or restaurants that the Pointe has to offer, than I say it will met with success; if it plans to go the route of the former Pointe, then the place is doomed.

Speaking of the Westin, have we heard of an opening date yet? Any idea when the rest of the Village of Imagine will be scheduled to be complete?

I agree with the Pointe. The last time I was there is was bustling with activity; though it still has a long way to go before reaching its potential (many stores are still vacant). I'm still not sure how the Square will be viable being so close to the Pointe. If they are looking for an extension of the types of stores and/or restaurants that the Pointe has to offer, than I say it will met with success; if it plans to go the route of the former Pointe, then the place is doomed.

Speaking of the Westin, have we heard of an opening date yet? Any idea when the rest of the Village of Imagine will be scheduled to be complete?

I think I read where the Westin opened for business last Thursday or Friday.

I am also interested to know the status of Palazzo del lago. I know they had secured a loan for pre-construction development of 45 million last July and was wondering what its current status was. I beleive they had planned initially to do the main hotel before embarking on the adjoining towers..........at least I think that was what their media releases had stated.............although I would be quite suprised if those towers went up anytime in the foreseeable future..........it would be nice to see the main hotel/building break ground.

I spoke to a former employee who told me it was not looking good for the rest of the village... if so this is not good, b/c the Westin doesn't have that many rooms... perhaps 450 or so. and what about the elevated walkway? I don't know... maybe the rest of the project is in stasis until the downturn turns back around.

JRS1- I think we posted at about the same time. Peabody is looking very good.

this is good news. in essence, we are doubling what we had in room inventory now for the OCCC. what an operation we'll have when those two projects open... Hilton is looking good from 528.

What kind of Commercial would you like to see on the shores?

Though I like Cloudship's "no-chain" idea, in this town right now we need "chains" to bring people. Along the shore I would make it similar to Hollywood's The Grove at Farmers Market. The theme park-esque stylised shopping district located beside the historic Famers Market (Fairfax) really seemed to draw a crowd throughout the day and night. The street car is a nice touch as well. I think we could definitely pull something like this off downtown, with bigger anchors such as a Barnes & Noble, Cinema, restaurants, Apple Store, etc. Hell, place a fountain show in Lake Lucerne and we can rival Vegas and give Dr.Phillips' new development a run for their money. Other retail that could be places in my hypothetical urban fantasy are World Market, Whole Foods/Trader Joes/Wild Oats/or whatever that other new SoCal "it" Organic Market is, Container Store, CB2, Intelligentsia Coffee, Urban Outfitters, EQ3, BJ's Brewhouse, Elephant Bar, Metropolitan Deluxe, UNIQLO... then scatter some indies throughout the 'plex. I know this place could be hyped up enough to be Orlando's "it" place. It would have to be more than one level, definitely... and unfortunately, yet welcomed would be the tourists ($$$).

• 2 weeks later...

10-Lender Syndicate Loans $405M to Peabody Orlando

Capmark Finance Inc. has assembled a syndicate of 10 lenders, including a Capmark affiliate, to provide a $405 million financing package for The Peabody Orlando hotel in Orlando, Fla.

The floating-rate loan refinanced existing debt originated by Capmark Finance in 2005 and provides construction financing for an expansion that will nearly double the size of the hotel. The loan has a four-year term with a one-year extension option.

More

another hotel brand is supposed to anounce something in a couple of months for the OCCC area. again, typical reliable source... only this time, it was a crack-whore toothless homeless woman from Dayton who slurred something that sounded like that in the hot sun while scavenging thru a trash dumpster in the alley next to the Rogers Bldg. on Magnolia... works for me...

Edited by JRS1

another hotel brand is supposed to anounce something in a couple of months for the OCCC area. again, typical reliable source... only this time, it was a crack-whore toothless homeless woman from Dayton who slurred something that sounded like that in the hot sun while scavenging thru a trash dumpster in the alley next to the Rogers Bldg. on Magnolia... works for me...
Days Inn Level, Four Seasons Level or somewhere in between??

Prime's 2nd phase opened up. only some of the stores have already opened. it will have 175 when they all open. that's pretty big. Sawgrass has up to 300, Dolphin in the 200 range, FLorida Mall in the 225+ range, and then Prime at 175. Premium should be at 145 or 155 when 2nd phase is done.

convention-class level... mentioned before... I just don't want to hex it by talking about it... God knows what we've seen with the hotel which hosts those duck parades...
I was kind of hoping the Intercontinenetal might come over to the OCCC area since they gave up on Lake Bryan. Be kind of nice to have a different branded hotel in the area. I assume the Four Seasons out at Disney is still a go seeing as they are still doing the high end neigborhood gig!

Starwood announced that they would build one of their new eco friendly Element hotels near Universal Orlando. The first Element hotel will actually open in Boston later this spring while the 137 room Orlando hotel will open in August 2009. Not sure if this was what you were referring to.

Starwood announced that they would build one of their new eco friendly Element hotels near Universal Orlando. The first Element hotel will actually open in Boston later this spring while the 137 room Orlando hotel will open in August 2009. Not sure if this was what you were referring to.

Starwood's new Aloft brand is also coming to the convention center. It will be adjacent to the new Element hotel. I think they are planning another Aloft hotel near the airport as well.

it will be the largest on I-Drive by far--- not sure about the height. already doing future bookings... so...