Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I read on a website that the Dolly Parton Dixie Stampede is thinking of relocating in Disney when they open that big box Flamingo Crossings shopping district.

Who else has a bad taste about this Flamingo Crossing project? Does Disney really need a have an Econolodge on their property? Wasn't the whole point why Disney bought all this acreage in Orlando is to not duplicate the problem of Disneyland, with all those tacky motels/restaurants adjacent to the park? Seems like this is going totally against Walt's original plan.

I read on a website that the Dolly Parton Dixie Stampede is thinking of relocating in Disney when they open that big box Flamingo Crossings shopping district.

Who else has a bad taste about this Flamingo Crossing project? Does Disney really need a have an Econolodge on their property? Wasn't the whole point why Disney bought all this acreage in Orlando is to not duplicate the problem of Disneyland, with all those tacky motels/restaurants adjacent to the park? Seems like this is going totally against Walt's original plan.

EPCOT as it exists today is totally against Walt's original plan. Noone lives on his property as originally intended. The land where MGM (sorry DHS) was supposed to be an office park for industry. Walt's original plan was a bit too ambitious even for today.

Didn't realize it had a name.

Very little of what Disney is today is anything about Walt's original vision. But the reality of the situation is that in the 80's Walt's Disney was essentially taken over by a new consortium, even though it still involved one person with the Disney name and had the consent of the board. Today's Disney is simply not Walt's Disney.

Do I think there is any benefit to the public for the West Side Project (which makes me wonder what they will call the West Side at Downtown Disney). But as far as the companies self interests go, they can't do much to stop the growth that happens outside the borders. But they can certainly rake in the big bucks if they can get a piece of that growth. The cachet of being on property adds bucks. And if you can draw people away from the current centers like LBV, all the better.

I always thought people went to Disney to escape their mundane reality without being subjected to places where they are part of everyday life. It's attractions such as La Nouba, Disney Quest that make it unique and destination restaurants like Bongos, House of Blues, T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood where they are not located in their hometowns; that make it memorable. I said memorable...not good!

How is bringing in TJ Maxx, Olive Garden, Ross Dress for Less and TGI Fridays going to make it memorable or unique to people?

I always thought people went to Disney to escape their mundane reality without being subjected to places where they are part of everyday life. It's attractions such as La Nouba, Disney Quest that make it unique and destination restaurants like Bongos, House of Blues, T-Rex, Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood where they are not located in their hometowns; that make it memorable. I said memorable...not good!

How is bringing in TJ Maxx, Olive Garden, Ross Dress for Less and TGI Fridays going to make it memorable or unique to people?

This, of course, is not new. From the very beginning, there was Hotel Plaza Blvd. and the privately owned hotels (I always chuckled when we visited Atlanta as there was a carbon copy of the Royal Plaza on I-75 near the airport at one point and a clone of what is now the Best Western LBV - then TraveLodge - near Emory in northeast Atlanta). Crossroads, where Goodings is located across from Downtown Disney on FL535, was once Disney property, as was much of the Little Lake Bryan area.

The difference between such areas (as opposed to, God help us, much of US192) is that Disney can control the standards, density and general schlockiness of whatever they permit to be built there. These areas of property have been determined to be non-core assets, and Disney keeps the shareholders happy by maximizing returns on sales of such property. There is also synergy in keeping these folks close to property.

Edited by spenser1058

Isn't BOA backwards? Lack of details makes these things so unbelieveable.

You know I looked at it again and it almost looks like the view from Lake Eola facing west before the VUE was built. With BOA, EPC and the courthouse from left to right on the right of the screen, and something that resembles the Waverly and Capital Plaza on the left.

Edited by codypet

• 2 weeks later...

Attractions Area News....

Tonight is the movie premiere for RoboDoc, which was filmed a couple years ago in Orlando under the National Lampoon banner. The premiere will take place at Universal City Walk. Expected stars include Allan Thicke (Growing Pains), David Faustino (Married with Children), David Deluise (too many credits to count, but best known for being Dom's kid), and Michael Winslow (Police Academy and actually lives in Altamonte Springs). All proceeds from the premiere screening tonight are going to the UCF Medical School. The writer and director Doug Gordon is a local doctor.