Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I caught a ride on the London Eye last month and while I absolutely loved everything about that Great Wheel, I still fail to see how this will be successful at this location in Orlando. There's really not much to look at, especially when the wheel will barely be higher than some of the nearby neighboring hotels. The Eye works because there are so many points of interests in such a close area and not a lot of places to catch a glimpse of the city from above the rooftops without having to pay admission for an observation deck. What family of 4 is going to want to shell out about $100 to see sprawl, trees, and the city's biggest sights so far away, you can hardly tell what they are? Ever catch a ride on the SeaWorld SkyTower? Most days, the Downtown and Disney skylines are but mere silhouettes at the horizon, if you can see them at all. I suppose the Orlando wheel will cater more to businesses that will rent out the pods during conventions and for special events like weddings and birthday parties. At least I hope so.

img8182ss2.jpg

About as boring as that view of London. It's flat like us.

Can't really give any info on where this thing stands other than every major stakeholder on I-Drive is backing it. Pretty sure they are planning out the groundbreaking still, but I couldn't get a date. I think they are dealing with traffic issues right now. Definitely gonna happen. Just a matter of when.

^^

yeah, but London is cool. Parliament is a few blocks away from the Eye... the downtown is in the opposite direction... But hey, we're Orlando dammit.

Almost forgot-- you'll have a good view of Sea World from there and the OCCC. it'll be good.

^^

I know the one you're talking about-- I think it's like 600' tall; looks like a Faberge egg; that's the neat thing about London-- each building is like a work of art...

^^

Hilton OCCC: it's supposed to be 18 stories, but, I realized the other day, that it has at least 18 levels about the two oversized base levels; it will be more like 21-22 levels in height when done; it looks quite tall from that back access road. it's a biggie. we're fortunate to have it.

• 4 weeks later...

I was driving down Universal Blvd the other day right behind the Westgate Palace there was a sign for the proposed "THE EMPIRE", which looked like a replica of the Empire State Building in NY. I think it supposed to be a condo hotel or maybe just condos. I tried looking in Orlando Skyscrapers to see if I can find any info about it, but nothing was posted. Do you know if this project is dead, on hold, just proposed or someones pipe dream?

I was driving down Universal Blvd the other day right behind the Westgate Palace there was a sign for the proposed "THE EMPIRE", which looked like a replica of the Empire State Building in NY. I think it supposed to be a condo hotel or maybe just condos. I tried looking in Orlando Skyscrapers to see if I can find any info about it, but nothing was posted. Do you know if this project is dead, on hold, just proposed or someones pipe dream?

from what it sounds, i hope it was just a pipe dream

I think the Whole Foods on Turkey Lake was supposed to open yesterday. Does anyone know if the other stores in that shopping center have opened yet?

Whole Foods was scheduled to open on June 25th. There were tons of cars in the parking lot today as I drove by; probaby check it out over the weekend. As for as the other stores, nothing has opened yet. The only sign that has gone up is the Pei Wei Asian Diner (part of the P.F. Changs family), but it hasn't opened yet. Michaels, Golf Galaxy, and some sushi place are the only ones I know of going into the development as of yet. Cold Stone Creamery is opening in the Dr. Philips Marketplace down the road.

I noticed the Midtown development from the 528/I-4 overpass the other day. Those two buildings stick out above the trees quite nicely. Are the plans for the two 30 story towers still on the table or has that been put on hold too?

the Wyndham... not sure.

however, the Hilton plan is for several more of those 16 or so story towers...