Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Pleasure Island is offically closing Sept 27th. The six night clubs are closing for good but the retail shops will remain open. The haven't released any official plans but they said it could take at least a year or two to renovate all the clubs into more restaurants and shops.

Checked out the Whole Foods today. The place was packed. I'm sure it had a little to do with it just opening and it was a Sunday, but some people didn't even realize they were blocking others. Wake up people! There was more produce than the WP store and a little more cheese. Wine was about the same. There was more fish selection as promised, but a lot of it was prepared (uncooked) fish. The fresh unprepared fish was about the same as the WP store. They had a section just for hamburgers and sausages. Some of the produce was even priced the same as Publix. Great selection of oils and vinegars. Great oil marinated vegetables and olive bar. There was a BBQ bar with chicken wings and ribs. Beef and other mammal meat was about the same as WP. Good selection of soups and prepared foods. I didn't notice any sushi, which is available in WP and the chocolate selection was dismal in comparison, which was the one thing I was really interested in purchasing. Coffee was much better with fresh roasting on site. Fresh gelato as well. I liked it, but it is too far from downtown for me to make it a regularly scheduled weekly pitstop. And since the only 2 things that are must haves for me at Whole Foods are imported dark chocolate and cheese, I'll have to continue going to WP. I still don't understand how they charge as much as they do for the same items that can be found in other regional/local groceries. Some of the things make sense to have high prices... like Sockeye Salmon. You don't find that everywhere, but catfish?? Seriously, that is raised on a farm. The Rainbow Trout had red/orange meat similar to a Salmon. That is interbreeding with Salmon and is usually called Steelhead. They called it regular Rainbow Trout. Huh? I used to catch Rainbow in the creek behind my house growing up and they never had red/orange meat. Just saying. If you want to charge that much like everything in this place "is the shizzle," then get your labels right or get better quality (not interbred).

Checked out the Whole Foods today. The place was packed. I'm sure it had a little to do with it just opening and it was a Sunday, but some people didn't even realize they were blocking others. Wake up people! There was more produce than the WP store and a little more cheese. Wine was about the same. There was more fish selection as promised, but a lot of it was prepared (uncooked) fish. The fresh unprepared fish was about the same as the WP store. They had a section just for hamburgers and sausages. Some of the produce was even priced the same as Publix. Great selection of oils and vinegars. Great oil marinated vegetables and olive bar. There was a BBQ bar with chicken wings and ribs. Beef and other mammal meat was about the same as WP. Good selection of soups and prepared foods. I didn't notice any sushi, which is available in WP and the chocolate selection was dismal in comparison, which was the one thing I was really interested in purchasing. Coffee was much better with fresh roasting on site. Fresh gelato as well. I liked it, but it is too far from downtown for me to make it a regularly scheduled weekly pitstop. And since the only 2 things that are must haves for me at Whole Foods are imported dark chocolate and cheese, I'll have to continue going to WP. I still don't understand how they charge as much as they do for the same items that can be found in other regional/local groceries. Some of the things make sense to have high prices... like Sockeye Salmon. You don't find that everywhere, but catfish?? Seriously, that is raised on a farm. The Rainbow Trout had red/orange meat similar to a Salmon. That is interbreeding with Salmon and is usually called Steelhead. They called it regular Rainbow Trout. Huh? I used to catch Rainbow in the creek behind my house growing up and they never had red/orange meat. Just saying. If you want to charge that much like everything in this place "is the shizzle," then get your labels right or get better quality (not interbred).

Part of the reason why certain items are so expensive I think is due to the fact that they have so much on site preparation of food. When I passed by the right side of the store I could see back into the kitchen area and there must be at least 30 or so cooks preparing foods. A regular store probably doesn't have nearly the size staff that they do. Their labor costs are probably their justification for charging what they do. I still think that certain aspects of the store make it worth shopping there. Yes, you can get some of the same things at other places for a lot less, but the selection of items compared to other places doesn't compare. I didn't notice the lack of chocolate compared to the WP store, but I did notice the lack of bread. They did have a bakery where you could order fresh bread, but there wasn't much pre packaged bread. The WP store has a lot more than this place, which is surprising considering how much larger it is. All in all I guess it depends on how close you live to the store. If your a fan of Whole Foods you will shop at either one. I for one will shop at this one due to the fact that I live a little closer to it than the WP store.

I have found that with the Whole Foods markets, bigger stores don't always mean a better selection. I have also noticed that some of the stores are changing their product mix. I think that as time goes by and they see what sells, they will alter their mix accordingly.

I wonder what the impact on Fresh Market will be?

I don't see much of an impact on Fresh Market. The stores are so far apart I don't think they draw the same people.

I hope Whole Foods has a few thousand dollars left over to address the nasty floor in it's Winter Park store. A hodge podge of at least five different floor types that look like they were just left after different reconfigurations, and the few times I've been there it's filthy. Not what I like to see in a grocery store. If that's how they keep the front end where the customer can see... How nasty are the storage areas where the food is kept?

I'll take Fresh Market over Whole Foods anyday.

• 2 weeks later...

Marriott building villas next to JW, Ritz-Carlton

Lakeshore Reserve is the first Marriott Vacation Club to share property with a JW Marriott hotel and the Ritz-Carlton. Members of the vacation club will have access to the amenities at Grande Lakes, including the restaurants, golf club and the 40,000-square-foot Ritz-Carlton spa. To be completed Summer 2010:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories...ml?surround=lfn

Great news, I spoke with one of the representatives this morning concerning the Palazzo Del Lago project and they stated the project will begin perhaps next year.
I thought I read recently where the Intercontinental Hotel Group had put this property on Little Lake Bryan up for sale!! Who is the represenative you speak of??? What gave them a change of heart??

• 3 weeks later...

Ice bar -- how cool is that?

Tourists on International Drive may soon have a new way to cool off: a bar made of 50 tons of ice. Investors Patz and Ron Turner said they visited "ice bars" in Europe and wanted to bring the concept to the U.S. The attraction planned by Icebar Orlando LLC will feature walls, furniture, sculptures and even glasses made of frozen water. Guests will enter through Chill Lounge, a 4,000-square-foot bar with a Nordic theme. Admission to the 1,000-square-foot Icebar will start at $35 a person. Guests will get a vodka drink and will be provided with a cape and gloves to wear during the 45-minute experience. Design and construction is being managed by Bill Whidden, owner of Orlando-based Ice Magic Holdings Inc.

UPDATES:

1. Peabody-- this thing is U/C in a big way. the footprint will triple what's already there. The tower is U/C; the convention space/ garage is U/C towards the skywalk for the OCCC.

2. Hilton-- steaming right along.

3. Vista Cay-- Harbor Square is actually U/C! I can't believe it (their retail component fronting Universal Blvd. Also, the mixed use Publix/office/retail two-story component to the east of Vista Cay is done and it is really nice... really nice.

4. Waldorf-Hilton-- same stage of done-ness as the OCCC Hilton... looks very similar.

5. Wyndham Bonnett Creek-- they are building at least 1-2 more of those 16 story towers there-- close to Chelonia Pkwy. Not sure, but part of this might be the pure hotel component someone mentioned previously... there's a wide base at least 2 floors up now...

6. Premium Outlets-- new wing superstructure and roof is done for the 30-40 store expansion. the place is a zoo, though. can't wait until they open the new wing so there's a back way out of there. love that parking deck... except noone uses the skywalk that much.

7. Dellagio-- WOW. OMG! this place came out of nowhere and BAM! if you're in town you gotta do a driveby. I took pix and will post them, but they do it injustice. Holy cow. The Rialto looks like crap. They are building the residential component behind the fronting bldgs to SLR, but that is nothing to what Dellagio looks like. Dr. Phillips' clout/cred is going up yet a few more notches. First, the Whole Foods plaza went up--- very nice. I love that place. Now, the bookend on the sest end of SLR is really turning it up another notch. Orlando truly is blessed. Wow. I can't stress enough that you all gotta go check this place out. I mean, they gave this place the works. It's like Veranda Park-like bldgs on a sloped tract of varying heights and design; wow again. What they should do next is brick SLR from Dellagio to Turkey Lake Road and make it six lanes, and make about 3 skywalks across SLR or better crosswalk areas. this place is fantastic.

8. Millennia-- that new residential bldg. behind Bloomingdales-- the one where they built the 6-7 story garage-- is getting topped off-- it is huge and awesome. 4-5 stories. Isn't this the one that's supposed to be 7 stories? Maybe the back half will be towards the Ikea. It's big. I like it.

9. The Square-- no activity.

10. Prime Outlets-- still opening new stores. the place is growing on me. Orlando is blessed to have TWO upscale outdoor malls in its retail inventory-- and they're both huge.

11. Hilton Grande Vacations-- topped off and getting done-- nothing out of the ordinary with the two 16 story towers.

12. Lake Eve Resort-- getting done; looking better than anticipated. heading north on I-Drive south of Premium, Lake Eve and the new low rise next to it really add to the density in that part of I-Drive.

can't remember anything else...

UPDATES:

1. Peabody-- this thing is U/C in a big way. the footprint will triple what's already there. The tower is U/C; the convention space/ garage is U/C towards the skywalk for the OCCC.

2. Hilton-- steaming right along.

3. Vista Cay-- Harbor Square is actually U/C! I can't believe it (their retail component fronting Universal Blvd. Also, the mixed use Publix/office/retail two-story component to the east of Vista Cay is done and it is really nice... really nice.

4. Waldorf-Hilton-- same stage of done-ness as the OCCC Hilton... looks very similar.

5. Wyndham Bonnett Creek-- they are building at least 1-2 more of those 16 story towers there-- close to Chelonia Pkwy. Not sure, but part of this might be the pure hotel component someone mentioned previously... there's a wide base at least 2 floors up now...

6. Premium Outlets-- new wing superstructure and roof is done for the 30-40 store expansion. the place is a zoo, though. can't wait until they open the new wing so there's a back way out of there. love that parking deck... except noone uses the skywalk that much.

7. Dellagio-- WOW. OMG! this place came out of nowhere and BAM! if you're in town you gotta do a driveby. I took pix and will post them, but they do it injustice. Holy cow. The Rialto looks like crap. They are building the residential component behind the fronting bldgs to SLR, but that is nothing to what Dellagio looks like. Dr. Phillips' clout/cred is going up yet a few more notches. First, the Whole Foods plaza went up--- very nice. I love that place. Now, the bookend on the sest end of SLR is really turning it up another notch. Orlando truly is blessed. Wow. I can't stress enough that you all gotta go check this place out. I mean, they gave this place the works. It's like Veranda Park-like bldgs on a sloped tract of varying heights and design; wow again. What they should do next is brick SLR from Dellagio to Turkey Lake Road and make it six lanes, and make about 3 skywalks across SLR or better crosswalk areas. this place is fantastic.

8. Millennia-- that new residential bldg. behind Bloomingdales-- the one where they built the 6-7 story garage-- is getting topped off-- it is huge and awesome. 4-5 stories. Isn't this the one that's supposed to be 7 stories? Maybe the back half will be towards the Ikea. It's big. I like it.

9. The Square-- no activity.

10. Prime Outlets-- still opening new stores. the place is growing on me. Orlando is blessed to have TWO upscale outdoor malls in its retail inventory-- and they're both huge.

11. Hilton Grande Vacations-- topped off and getting done-- nothing out of the ordinary with the two 16 story towers.

12. Lake Eve Resort-- getting done; looking better than anticipated. heading north on I-Drive south of Premium, Lake Eve and the new low rise next to it really add to the density in that part of I-Drive.

can't remember anything else...

Any news on The Four Seasons down at Disney?

I wish The Square would have gotten off the ground as I liked their tenant list they were bringing in. Some new places to the Orlando area that would have been a nice change!

2008-04-14_dorianphotoinc_015-wlogos.jpg

2008-04-14_dorianphotoinc_012-wlogos.jpg

...and for those unfamiliar with Dellagio, keep in mind that under that large slab of concrete supporting the would-be retail and restaurant establishments is an underground parking facility. Oddly enough, the parking deck, while beneath street level, will front the artificial "lake" being constructed along Sand Lake Road....that should be pretty unique.

• 2 weeks later...

^^

My friends, Festival Bay will never die. It survived a splitting from Belz Corp., 9-11, and the construction of Prime in Belz' place. This place is like the cockroach through nuclear winter.

Now that Prime is bringing 'em in in droves-- look at the backed up traffic on I-Drive around mid-day to 6pm on weekends now, business will only get better at FB.

Bass Pro Shops is too big a draw for that place to ever go under, plus its got a 1/2 dozen mall stores mixed in there like BCBG, Charlotte Russe, Jones NY, and a few more (sorry, not a chick, can't remember), along with the Cinema and Universal's store, and Fuddrucker's and Bergamo's (still open?).

All they need to do is put better signage in front showcasing which stores are actually in there and perhaps sign a major department store and forget about their original marketing plan; get a Gamestop and a Best Buy (Millenia has Circuit City). I think that could work. Turn it into a mall of big-box stores. You already have Bass and the Cinema. Is Shepler's still open? I know there's a sportswear store too...

And last of all, build out 2-3 out-parcels with restaurants. it's not like there isn't enough parking.

I would also try for a skywalk or two-- one to Prime, and the other across I-Drive to one of those plazas.

As for the sign, maybe go Vegas-style with it; light-boards and video screens; something to attract your attention. And at night, get some automated spotlights in the water to make you think you're near Citywalk or DT Disney.

I always said put in a Dave & Busters, H & M, Club Monaco, FCUK, Bennetton, Grand Lux Cafe, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Pei Wei Asian Diner, Adventurer's club type of attraction, Revive Jungle Jim's, Dick's Last Resort, Best Buy, Trader Joes, Barnes and Noble and an attached hotel for all the shoppers going to Prime, would be a good addition to the mall. Hell, through in a Major Department store like Marks & Spencer for the British Folk and you got it made.

Now I can wake up. Seriously though I agree: This mall just won't die. It's an themed mall search for a theme. You got just a whole bunch of outlet stores thrown in with a BCBG (why they are in the mall, I never know) and mom and pa stores that sells incense burners and stuff. I just don't get this place.

^^

My friends, Festival Bay will never die. It survived a splitting from Belz Corp., 9-11, and the construction of Prime in Belz' place. This place is like the cockroach through nuclear winter.

Now that Prime is bringing 'em in in droves-- look at the backed up traffic on I-Drive around mid-day to 6pm on weekends now, business will only get better at FB.

Bass Pro Shops is too big a draw for that place to ever go under, plus its got a 1/2 dozen mall stores mixed in there like BCBG, Charlotte Russe, Jones NY, and a few more (sorry, not a chick, can't remember), along with the Cinema and Universal's store, and Fuddrucker's and Bergamo's (still open?).

All they need to do is put better signage in front showcasing which stores are actually in there and perhaps sign a major department store and forget about their original marketing plan; get a Gamestop and a Best Buy (Millenia has Circuit City). I think that could work. Turn it into a mall of big-box stores. You already have Bass and the Cinema. Is Shepler's still open? I know there's a sportswear store too...

And last of all, build out 2-3 out-parcels with restaurants. it's not like there isn't enough parking.

I would also try for a skywalk or two-- one to Prime, and the other across I-Drive to one of those plazas.

As for the sign, maybe go Vegas-style with it; light-boards and video screens; something to attract your attention. And at night, get some automated spotlights in the water to make you think you're near Citywalk or DT Disney.

Sorry if this has been posted, but Disney released the rendering of the Four Seasons resort that will be on the northeast side of Walt Disney World.

4swdwfu8.jpg

Story here: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_...disney-w-1.html

uh, no I don't think this has been posted yet, b/c if it had, I'd be going nutz all over these boards about it. wow. great post. glad that its moving forward. real glad. 2012. I'm very excited about this... very excited.