Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

It looks like the Ron Jon Surf Park is definitely dead: http://www.surfingthemag.com/news/surfing-...rf-park-082208/

Let's also not forget the Vans Skate Park. I have never been inside Festival Bay Mall, but I have been to the Skate Park and it is always packed. We have a pretty sizable population of extreme athletes in Orlando (not to mention the thousands of young kids who WANT to be extreme athletes) so I have a feeling this place will stay around for quite a while.

It looks like the Ron Jon Surf Park is definitely dead: http://www.surfingthemag.com/news/surfing-...rf-park-082208/

Let's also not forget the Vans Skate Park. I have never been inside Festival Bay Mall, but I have been to the Skate Park and it is always packed. We have a pretty sizable population of extreme athletes in Orlando (not to mention the thousands of young kids who WANT to be extreme athletes) so I have a feeling this place will stay around for quite a while.

it's so comical... "we're not waiting around for you any more... we're going to go ahead and lease the 100,000 sq ft you were going to use."

yeah right. what about the other hundreds of thousands of sq ft still vacant in the rest of the mall?

I say, don't worry, Mr. wave pool innovative design maker, you real American hero, the space will be there waiting for you when you're ready to build.

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando Premium Outlets debuts 114,000 SF expansion

Orlando Business Journal Article

150 stores would make it, I think, the second largest Chelsea Outlet in the U.S. tied with the one in LV. I think one in Philly or Boston area is bigger. FYI, Prime International is the largest Prime in the U.S.

Prime needs to build a garage too.

----------------------------------------------------

Calendar: retail of note

Last Week: Publix Paramount opened up

Oct. 12-- SODO Target opens

Nov. 6-- Premium new wing opens

Edited by JRS1

OBJ had an article about Rosen's expansions on I-Drive.

He's going to build skywalks for the Plaza and Centre hotels to the OCCC. the expansion of the Plaza will be between 400-700 rooms;

he's building expansed meeting room space also. article didn't mention the entertainment portion that would somehow be linked to Pointe Orlando.

OBJ had an article about Rosen's expansions on I-Drive.

He's going to build skywalks for the Plaza and Centre hotels to the OCCC. the expansion of the Plaza will be between 400-700 rooms;

he's building expansed meeting room space also. article didn't mention the entertainment portion that would somehow be linked to Pointe Orlando.

I wonder if these are going to have the people mover belts, whatever they're called, like the ones that aren't on the bridge from the west building to the north.

^^

my money is on "yes".

BTW, Peabody expansion is in full swing, and they are building up a 3 story wall/rim around the entire roofline of Hilton OCCC; this should make it more like 22-23 stories tall in height.

Rosen-- he is competing of course by building skywalks from his 2 hotels to the OCCC. If he follows thru with the retail/restaurant element on Rosen Plaza as he proposed earlier, then this corner of I'Drive will be awesome. The Peabody expansion is taking up much of the open space between Peabody, the skywalk, I'Drive, and the N/S Bldg. It's almost like they are tripling their existing footprint-- maybe even quadrupling it.

Instead of skywalks, I prefered underground walkway....leave the "sky space" for the elevated monorail.

After he said that the city is funding Devos whom has lots of money, I wonder how he is going to make a case for himself.

very easily... he'll just say that he is interwoven with the convention industry by booking rooms for shows at his many I-Drive hotels, and that he gave $$$ to UCF for the School of Hospitality, etc... yah dee yah dde yah dah... blah blah blah...

Too many of these skyways are going to make the area a mess. Why can't Rosen's hotel occupants walk a block to the underused skyway that is already in place?

And it's not like that section of I-Drive is some extremely wide and exceptionally busy thoroughfare like Las Vegas Blvd. The city should discourage the construction of new skywalks and instead promote better coordination of traffic signals and crosswalks to keep the pedestrian activity flowing smoothly at ground level.

And it's not like that section of I-Drive is some extremely wide and exceptionally busy thoroughfare like Las Vegas Blvd. The city should discourage the construction of new skywalks and instead promote better coordination of traffic signals and crosswalks to keep the pedestrian activity flowing smoothly at ground level.

Just for the record, that stretch of I-Drive isn't in the City - it's in unincorporated Orange County. I agree, though.

the 192 corridor, frankly, needs help. there were a few restaurants within the Kiss. city limits that were shut down. I was told by a local that The Loop has sucked retail business away. And, the Pop Century Resort has sucked over 2,600 affordable rooms away from 192 as well. Maybe the new PBA pavilion can do something to change that--- but it's a wait and see until 2011.