Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

• 2 weeks later...

With the announcement that Universal will expand Wizarding World, this now means that all the major attractions in Central Florida are undertaking massive expansion projects, including:

1) Disney World: Fantasyland reconstruction (u/c), Avatar themed land at Animal Kingdom (planning)

2) Seaworld: Turtle Trek (u/c), Antarctica themed land (planning)

3) Universal: Jaws ride closure (tbd), Wizarding World expansion (planning)

4) FunSpot expansion (u/c)

5) Merlin Entertainment's I-Drive Live development (M Tussauds, Orlando Eye, Seaquarium)

With the announcement that Universal will expand Wizarding World, this now means that all the major attractions in Central Florida are undertaking massive expansion projects, including:

1) Disney World: Fantasyland reconstruction (u/c), Avatar themed land at Animal Kingdom (planning)

2) Seaworld: Turtle Trek (u/c), Antarctica themed land (planning)

3) Universal: Jaws ride closure (tbd), Wizarding World expansion (planning)

4) FunSpot expansion (u/c)

5) Merlin Entertainment's I-Drive Live development (M Tussauds, Orlando Eye, Seaquarium)

6) Discovery Cove: Freshwater Oasis (u/c)

• 1 month later...

Headed down I-4 today I saw the long For Sale on the jungle like property against the east bound lanes inbetween 536/Sheraton World Center and Lee Vista Apartments, directly across I-4 from the Disney casting building had a Sold sign stuck across it. Anyone got any ideas who bought it and why?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Can anyone access this article? I'd like to know what the 4 new hotel projects are in the pipeline:

http://www.bizjourna...cts-on-tap.html

Can anyone access this article? I'd like to know what the 4 new hotel projects are in the pipeline:

http://www.bizjourna...cts-on-tap.html

Disney’s Art of Animation hotel 1,984-room

Drury Inn & Suites 238-room hotel off Sand Lake Road, set to open in the fall.

The 300-room Embassy Suites Orlando-Lake Buena Vista South in Osceola County, slated to open in October.

Ramada Inn Orlando on International Drive, a 25-year-old, 164-room hotel which built a new 133-room wing set to open in April.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of growth around SeaWorld. Two CVS, 1 Walgreens, 7-11, Wawa, Panera Bread, etc. Looks like they are attempting to make this area into a walkable ocean themed district. I recently stopped and checked out the area, mostly on foot, and was surprised by how developed the area is becoming. Still very car centric but at least landscaped sidewalks and themed bus stops are now being installed.

Anyone know more about the area and the future development there?

Lots of growth around SeaWorld. Two CVS, 1 Walgreens, 7-11, Wawa, Panera Bread, etc. Looks like they are attempting to make this area into a walkable ocean themed district. I recently stopped and checked out the area, mostly on foot, and was surprised by how developed the area is becoming. Still very car centric but at least landscaped sidewalks and themed bus stops are now being installed.

Anyone know more about the area and the future development there?

Great work on the article! I enjoyed the recap. SeaWorld has been stepping up big time over the last few years.

Is it just a matter of time before SeaWorld becomes a full-fledged resort at this point? I have to think this is the next step in their battle with Universal and Disney. They are the only ones lacking a themed on-site resort. I think one could easily imagine something along the lines of the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas fitting perfectly with their theme. With that massive surface parking lot they have I could imagine them doing a Universal style deck to free up space for a resort project.

Edited by Pete C

Funny you mention Atlantis, I thought exactly the same thing. I think a mixed use project would also do really well, one that includes a resort but not limited to. For instance, an expanded SeaWorld entrance (like CityWalk) that has a great seafood restaurant, some shops, and maybe even an expansion of their aminal care division that highlights all the great rescue work that SeaWorld does around Florida.

SeaWorld has always had a more educational flair to it's attractions and I think this would be nice to see in an entertainment complex setting.

As for the development outside the park... While nice, especially the expanded sidewalks, I would have hoped for a more urban zone to develop in this area.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you mention Atlantis, I thought exactly the same thing. I think a mixed use project would also do really well, one that includes a resort but not limited to. For instance, an expanded SeaWorld entrance (like CityWalk) that has a great seafood restaurant, some shops, and maybe even an expansion of their aminal care division that highlights all the great rescue work that SeaWorld does around Florida.

SeaWorld has always had a more educational flair to it's attractions and I think this would be nice to see in an entertainment complex setting.

As for the development outside the park... While nice, especially the expanded sidewalks, I would have hoped for a more urban zone to develop in this area.

I would love t see this!!

• 4 weeks later...

You know, I do like that the Restaurant Row along Sand Lake has evolved somewhat organically over the last decade. Now I'd like the county (I believe this is unincorporated OC?) to come in and turn this stretch of Sand Lake into a more distinctive district. A bit a streetscaping -- lampposts,sidewalks, trees, etc. from Turkey Lake Rd to Apopka Vineland Rd.

Edited by prahaboheme

If Sand Lake and I-Drive (lots of pedestrian plans happening here) both become walkable that would really add a huge section of pedestrian friendly town to the area. Kirkman also has huge plans to make the road more walkable.

Sand Lake is really the next district in town that should get the pedestrian treatment. I just wish all that surface parking could be fixed, imagine this place with boulevards with shoppes opening to Sand Lake Road. If they area had buildings closer to the street, along with a few more lights (I think a light is going in at the Rialto west entrance), the area could really become something nice. Second floor pedestrian bridges could connect the two shopping plazas and connect directly to second floor retail. The area would easily become a third major shopping option for tourist then, and one within a short trolley ride from I-Drive.