Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

While I haven't heard anything, I do know that since the original plans for Lockheed to move off the Sand Lake site were floated (and perhaps extend Kirkman Road south through the property), they have since built another office tower. That suggests to me they don't plan to leave. I also recall that at the time it was much pretty much decided there were going to be significant brownfield issues with the Martin site and that it wasn't worth the effort.

On the other hand, Steve Burke, the president of NBCUniversal, comes from a Disney background (including a major restructuring effort at Disneyland Paris), so he would be no stranger to a "heavy lift" project such as this. 

So no one on here has seem to commented on the huge news of Universal Studios buying Wet N Wild. 

What do you guys make of that?  

Do you think this is a signal that they are ready to expand and possibly buy back some of that OCCC property that Vivendi sold off?  The Georgia company that owns most of it is going under from what I understand.  The key to the old plan though was for Lockheed Martin to give up some of their land and possibly move operations, think that is back in the works?  

There's also the rumor of Universal buying the twin towers across the street, actually buying all of that all the way to the turnpike.  It would allow for a direct exit from the turnpike to Universal.  

The maps I'm seeing of what Universal owns seems a bit odd, especially a parcel on the opposite side of the Turnpike from Festival Bay.

Festival Bay's major plans seem to be on hold and instead some crappy farmers market style plans are coming out.  I've got to wonder if this is because a larger buy-out is happening behind the scenes.  Why invest money into a mall you know you're going to sell in a few years?

Then there's the Douglas Grand property that also seems dead.  Could Universal be buying almost all of north I-Drive?  

All of these rumors seem to circle around a central huge rumor of a third theme park being in the works.  Wet-N-Wild moving to a new location, with all the themeing.  A third theme park, expanded parking, a new mass transit system across the property, and about 6,000 more hotel rooms (which could be fixed by buying out some of those hotels across the street and just remodeling them).

Thoughts?

Universal already owned Wet N Wild and has for some time. What they bought was the land under Wet N Wild as the land has been leased since the park was built. the lease was coming up so they finally bought the land.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see a map of what property Universal actually owns in Orlando.  Can you supply a link to one, or post one?  It'd be a huge investment, and possibly they'd need to buyout a hotel or other businesses and then redirect traffic/tear up roads and completely redvelop the new area to fit into a grand plan for the park, especially if a third park is in the works, or a fifth hotel (or both).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/blog/tourism-central/os-universal-theme-parks-a-little-less-profitable-in-the-second-quarter-20130731,0,6452643.post

Universal Orlando’s parent company said Wednesday it will pour hundreds of millions of added dollars more into new attractions in Florida and California this year, accelerating an already aggressive construction plans in program schedule at its U.S. theme parks.

There's that too.  I'm not sure how many millions will go to Orlando, and if "new attractions" means anything other than things we already know about.  But it's exciting to think that Universal could eventually become even bigger with a third park.  

I would love to see a map of property that is owned by Comcast if at all possible.  

Edited by CalvinEggnog

While I haven't heard anything, I do know that since the original plans for Lockheed to move off the Sand Lake site were floated (and perhaps extend Kirkman Road south through the property), they have since built another office tower. That suggests to me they don't plan to leave. I also recall that at the time it was much pretty much decided there were going to be significant brownfield issues with the Martin site and that it wasn't worth the effort.

On the other hand, Steve Burke, the president of NBCUniversal, comes from a Disney background (including a major restructuring effort at Disneyland Paris), so he would be no stranger to a "heavy lift" project such as this. 

From the plans I've seen, Lockheed Martin's MFC Site would 'mostly' support the Kirkland expansion as is, and most land to the east is undeveloped and prime for a 3rd Universal Park. I heard rumors of a Super Target being built, but I believe that isn't happening now. I'd love to see Unversal grab this land back!

Things have changed quite a bit too in the past few years, Lockheed Martin's stock has never been higher (knock on wood) and the Sand Lake facility is one of their best performers (with several million recently put into renovating and expanding the facility). I don't know if they would be willing to sell unless the price was really, really, really nice ( high 100 millions range ). Add in environmental cleanup and I don't think that's worth the effort at this time.

Going to be interesting to see what Universal does though in the next few years, Comcast sure surprised everyone. Remember when they first bought NBCU and everyone thought the parks were going to be sold off because Comcast isn't a 'themepark' company?? As far as new attractions goes, they are kicking WDW butt!

Plans for Aquatica's next ride were uncovered by Screamscape.com over the weekend.  The expansion involves moving the exit and expanding into the forest area to the south of the current park.  The expansion will include just one ride for now, a greatly needed second family flume ride, but the layout also allows for much easier future expansions.  

db_2014_AquaticaExpansion11.jpgdb_2014_AquaticaExpansion31.jpg

This begs the question what will Universal do with Wet N Wild.  With Aquatica expanding, and including even more animal interaction if these plans are to be believed, WnW's park is starting to seem outdated and boring.  No themes really, no shade, no sand, no animals.  And don't forget that FunSpot will soon get in on the water park business also with the Phase 2 of their expansion expected to break ground within the next 18 months.  Then WnW will not be the newest, best themed, or cheapest option making it harder than ever to attract guest, many of whom probably have never heard of the water park before coming on vacation. 

Edited by klstorey

• 2 weeks later...
A Walt Disney World Transportation Fairytale

This is a great piece by Sam Gennaway at miceage.com on Disney's thinking, circa 1975, for the Lake Buena Vista area. It shows how they were still thinking themselves as apart from Orlando at the time and the idea of making LBV the core of the region (remember, this was five years before Mayor Bill Frederick decided to revitalize downtown.) The comments are also interesting: one poster notes that, while LBV settled into typical suburban sprawl, downtown Orlando came back and can arguably be considered the more successful in terms of urban design.

http://micechat.com/38654-a-walt-disney-world-transportation-fairytale/

• 2 weeks later...

Peabody Orlando to be sold to Hyatt Hotels

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-peabody-orlando-sold-hyatt-20130828,0,1133786.story

This marks a definite milestone as I believe it is the last of the Belz properties in the Orlando area. From the beginning in the early 80's, as the landmark convention hotels rose in south Orange (with the Gaylord Palms being the exception in Osceola and came somewhat later), the Peabody had the most understated elegance of them all, as befitted its Memphis provenance. Sadly, since the Peabody in a very real way IS Memphis, at the same time it contributed to the "me-too" image of Orlando. Nevertheless, I am a little sad, although since the Belzes have left town, it's perhaps quite appropriate for rebranding as a Hyatt since the Pritzkers also gave us Baldwin Park.

Edited by spenser1058

Peabody Orlando to be sold to Hyatt Hotels

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-peabody-orlando-sold-hyatt-20130828,0,1133786.story

This marks a definite milestone as I believe it is the last of the Belz properties in the Orlando area. From the beginning in the early 80's, as the landmark convention hotels rose in south Orange (with the Gaylord Palms being the exception in Osceola and came somewhat later), the Peabody had the most understated elegance of them all, as befitted its Memphis provenance. Sadly, since the Peabody in a very real way IS Memphis, at the same time it contributed to the "me-too" image of Orlando. Nevertheless, I am a little sad, although since the Belzes have left town, it's perhaps quite appropriate for rebranding as a Hyatt since the Pritzkers also gave us Baldwin Park.

Couldn't access the article...did it mention what will happen to the ducks?

Couldn't access the article...did it mention what will happen to the ducks?

The Sentinel's not saying but OBJ seems to think the ducks are going away - I suspect to Memphis since the only other Peabody I knew about, in Little Rock, was rebranded last year as well.

Edited by spenser1058

Richard Bilbao notes something interesting in one of his blogs on the Hyatt buyout:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/08/hyatts-purchase-of-peabody-orlando.html

"This purchase may also be a boon for Orlando's convention industry, Weinberg added. “It’s good for the convention center to be connected to more branded hotels. This potentially can help drive more visitation and more people to the convention center who are looking for branded hotel options, as well as help us win more future conventions.”

This leads us to Harris Rosen, who is of course no spring cheeken and whose kids are I do not think old enough to take over the operation of his Rosen Hotels (which now also include his leisure properties except the LBV Clarion). How long until those properties go on the market?

Yeah.  I'm always seeing slideshows of celebrities at the Magic Kingdom or celebrities who went to area attractions or celebrities who are from or live in Orlando, or who the power players in town are, etc.  Gets a little old.  

That was a cool gallery though.  I just hope they don't ever include Carousel of Progress to the slideshow, as I still love it.  I certainly wouldn't mind seeing one of the stunt cars from Hollywood Studios show up there, as CarsLand East would be a huge improvement to that sad little park.  I want to love Hollywood Studios, but it needs a lot of work, which I understand is in the works.  *fingers crossed*

• 2 weeks later...

I-Drive pedestrian bridge proposed - Sand Lake / I-Drive

i-drive-pedestrian-bridge*600.jpg

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/print-edition/2013/09/13/i-drive-pedestrian-bridge-proposed.html

A pedestrian bridge is absolutely needed at this location.   It is only going to get more and more busy at this crossing when I Drive Live opens up.  Not to mention the plans that Universal (may) have for the Wet n Wild area.   A large pedestrian bridge with an interesting architectural feature could become a new symbol for the I Drive area.

Edited by prahaboheme

• 4 weeks later...

Dicks Last Resort is coming the outlets. Themed restaurant where the servers are rude to you. In other big cities

I think this restaurant concept is an absolute TERRIBLE fit for a location like this, where the majority of mall patrons are international tourists. I feel like a lot of the crass jokes and rudeness won't be appreciated by people whose first language is not English and they'll have to dilute the brand in order to survive.

I think this restaurant concept is an absolute TERRIBLE fit for a location like this, where the majority of mall patrons are international tourists. I feel like a lot of the crass jokes and rudeness won't be appreciated by people whose first language is not English and they'll have to dilute the brand in order to survive.

It's tongue and cheek, people aren't that naive not to get the theme/joke once they step through the doors.

• 2 weeks later...

I was worried when I went to the one in Chicago and ended up loving it. Now, I was with a youth mission trip so that might have tempered the servers. But by the end of the night everyone was having a blast and the shows/dancer numbers by the staff were witty and hilarious! 

• 2 weeks later...