Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

As the Orlando Eye will host commanding views of Central Florida, I have to wonder if this attraction will raise some awareness about the "other" Orlando to the eyes of a typical tourist.  No doubt the draw to see aerial views of Central Florida is Cinderella's Castle, Spaceship, and Hogwarts, yet once on board I suspect that the element of surprise will be the downtown Orlando skyline and the region's abundance of lakes.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 2

I drove by yesterday and it looked like they were topping off the frame, it gives some perspective for how tall the actual wheel will be. Once you're past the convention center, I think it is going to dominate the skyline looking north on I-Drive. Where exactly is the big new club (Mangos?) going?  In the lot next to the huge McDonalds on Sand Lake?  Anyone hear any news about the supposed expansion of that McDonalds?

• 3 weeks later...

It has been no secret that Comcast has been investing in it's Universal Parks holdings, especially it's Orlando parks.  However, they have not explicitly stated what most believed were their intentions all along:  to take major marketshare from Disney.

Until now.

Comcast CEO: Universal will compete aggressively with Disney

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-comcast-theme-parks-20140107,0,7714951.story

Edited by prahaboheme

The amazing view of Lockheed Martin's aging asphalt parking lot and grazing cows eating behind the Westin will indeed be amazing! Not to mention to the west, you can watch the gridlock of poor transportation design at the intersection(s) of SandLake/I-4offRamp/WholeFoods.

From Universal Blvd this structure is massive (and that's without the "wheel" attached yet.  I wonder what may become of all that cow grazing property located a stones throw away from this new enterainment district

Attractions Magazine is reporting via twitter that we should hear something regarding the polercoaster by end of the month.  The rumors I've heard point towards it going into the old Skull Kingdom property.

I've heard the delay is due to trying to get leases signed for at least 75% of it before it's announced. From what I've heard a restaurant, retail and ticketed view area will all be included with most being announced with this upcoming announcement, that is if no one drops out again. 

Don't like that the list of tenants includes BWW and Titanic.  I imagine both will be moving from their current locations on North I Drive, furthering that area.  The City of Orlando needs to do something with that.  Is the business overhead that much more to be located in Orlando vs. Unincorporated Orange County?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what Unicorp is doing with the hotel other than shrinking its footprint?  I had originally read that the hotel would lose several of its two-story buildings (which it has) and that the lost rooms would be replaced with a tall tower.  So far, no tower proposal.

Also, on the Orlando Eye tract itself, the original plans were for two medium height hotels fronting Universal Blvd.  Not in the current plans.  Were those scrapped, or will they consider doing that in the future over some of that surface parking depicted along Universal once the project has been opened up and running?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to the pool deck at Cabana Bay last Friday at night.  It is very nice.  So is the dual level lobby area of the hotel.  Phase II and pool deck are incomplete as of now- just Phase I is ready.  so, There will be two pool decks when complete.  This is way nicer than a discount resort.  For example, they used real terrazo floors in the lobby area.  Terrazo is not cheap.  There's also a really cool Starbucks and gift shop on the first floor of the lobby building.  And, there's an arcade and bowling alley on the second level.  There's a ramp from the second level that extends outside and winds its way down to the pool deck a ways down.  it's very cool.  there's a bar in the bowling alley and on the pool deck.

• 2 weeks later...

The property where Mangos is going at I-Drive & Sand Lake Road- the soon to be former Walgreens.  Developer is planning a parking deck.  Check it out:

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2014/04/exclusive-i-drive-walgreens-set-to-become-parking.html

I think they foresee so much new traffic there they are trying to take advantage, with all the new restaurants and stuff.  Also, Unicorp was supposed to put a garage as part of its I-shops project, but it looks like those plans were scrubbed either permanently or for the time being.

Edited by jrs2