Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

Not sure if you knew this already, but Typhoon Lagoon's wave pool creates surfable waves...bigger than the ones it creates by day. It is rentable for groups after hours and Disney runs their own surf classes. If they did one for this new park, they'd probably operate it in a similar fashion...before and after park hours for surfers.

I knew about the one at Typhoon Lagoon, but I figured you had to be a Disney guest to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

^^

nice project.  the fact that it's a condo-tel I don't like. 

But there is another one going up at CFLA Pkwy and I-Drive that someone posted about on these boards where the developer noted that many international investors are interested in such projects.

International investors not so surprising. With the dollar gaining on most foreign currencies and many around the world not feeling so good about what their respective governments might do, I would think this a trend that picks up after the 2008 crash left off. Beware the bubble, eh?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still trying to figure out why a hotel that supposed to be so awesome that they make up 2 additional stars for it ("Solis Orlando Hotel will feature *7-star* amenities and service") is going to go on I-Drive.  The rep said “This hotel will be among the finest in the world.”  So, why are they putting it in a section of town that isn't even the finest location for 10 miles in any direction, much less in the entire world?

Edited by HankStrong

I'm still trying to figure out why a hotel that supposed to be so awesome that they make up 2 additional stars for it ("Solis Orlando Hotel will feature *7-star* amenities and service") is going to go on I-Drive.  The rep said “This hotel will be among the finest in the world.”  So, why are they putting it in a section of town that isn't even the finest location for 10 miles in any direction, much less in the entire world?

I thought the location for JW Marriott  Ritz Carlton was questionable before they built it at JYP & CFLA Pkwy, but they did it anyway.  Personally I think this hotel needs to be across from OCCC N/S Bldg.  But, don't forget, Universal is close by, and who knows what plans they have for Wet n Wild.

Edited by jrs2

It's not about what's there now.  In the sixties everyone was asking, "why build an amusement park in a swamp?"   Well, today it is the most visited park on the planet.  It didn't take long for Sea World, Universal and others to jump on that bandwagon  My guess is, once iSquare is finished, others will think, hey, this place is full of high-rollers with $$$.  I bet a bunch of world-class restaurants, shops etc. start to cluster around.  The intersection of Kirkman and International  just might become the most tony address around.

More specifically, it might not be the finest location around now, but will it become the finest location once built and the iSquare wannabes follow the leader.

I literally work in the office building next to where isquare is supposed to be built and I have no idea what the background for that rendering is trying to be.

EDIT:  Oh I guess its the grassy empty space behind IHOP that I see in the background?  They sure make it look a LOT better than it is.

Edited by AndyPok1
  • Like 1

In addition to the comments the other people said, I'd add that doesn't Universal deserve a 5 star resort? This is pretty close to it, and Universal doesn't have a ton of room left on their property, and this is pretty close to it. Also I think Wet n Wild is going to be revamped at some point now that Universal bought that as well.

You know what's really cool about this new 5 star proposal (Solis), is that back about 15 years ago the Portofino Bay Hotel was supposed to be 5 star.  It didn't get it.  Next came the Ritz Carlton.  Then came the Waldorf.  Then came the Four Seasons (5 diamond).  But back during the boom, there was the Lake Bryan proposal for the Intercontinental resort complex that didn't happen.  What's cool is that with every new upper-level resort, the other brands not currently in the market take notice.

When I first glanced at it, I thought they were building a "drive thru" right down the middle of the building.  That would be cool (minus the exhaust), but with electric cars, it could work. Like a car wash, you would be able to see kids in the play place and maybe the kitchen (ala Krispy Kreme).

Anyone know if the I-4 overhaul includes a bridge over I-4 to link Universal & the outlets? I noticed they cleared a lot of land out of that area. 

Yes - and the overpass will be an exit for Southboud (errrr- Westbound) express lanes and and entrance for Eastbound, with ramps constructed in anticipation of express lanes being continued at a later date.

Here's a look at how it sits with the reconfigured Kirkman interchange.

wwJrrMo.png

And a detail of that new overpass.

CfCcVNl.jpg

• Like 1

Yes - and the overpass will be an exit for Southboud (errrr- Westbound) express lanes and and entrance for Eastbound, with ramps constructed in anticipation of express lanes being continued at a later date.

Here's a look at how it sits with the reconfigured Kirkman interchange.

wwJrrMo.png

And a detail of that new overpass.

CfCcVNl.jpg

Oh, I love that.

They have already begun site clearing for the Kirkman Rd bridge overhaul.  I cannot wait for them to get that Grand National Drive bridge built.  It will really help out the traffic backups in that area.

Also, I noticed many groups of pedestrians walking over the Universal Blvd overpass to I-Drive last night.  I had no idea that many people walked from Universal to I-Drive.  I can see a similar pattern with Grand National when they build that bridge as well.