Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

I am very happy for these new attractions, but the traffic and lack of driving skills tourists and O-town natives have, I-Drive is gonna become hell on wheels.

I love how the parking garage has a parking lot. Quintessentially I Drive.

i cant stop laughing

Oh My God. That is HUGE! Disney has to be getting at least a little worried right now. Universal is going big time. First Harry Potter, next expanded hotel properties, then a water park, and now this. Huge, and absolutely ridiculous merchandise opportunities.

Great news about Nintendo and Universal

So, since Disney bought rights to Marvel, what does that mean for Univesal's rights to make new rides based on those characters?  They have Hulk, Spider Man, Dr. Doom, Storm rides so far and areas with characters on it.

Great news about Nintendo and Universal

So, since Disney bought rights to Marvel, what does that mean for Univesal's rights to make new rides based on those characters? They have Hulk, Spider Man, Dr. Doom, Storm rides so far and areas with characters on it.

I believe Universal's contract for those mentioned is exclusive east of the Mississippi in perpetuity for theme parks.

Frozen Land at EPCOT, my misgivings not withstanding, expansion of Soarin', new Fantasyland, Star Wars expansion at the Studios. I think Disney isn't too worried. 

Anyone got a 65 million visitors betting pool going?

I don't mean worried as if Universal will overtake them in attendance. That will probably never happen. However, Universal will continue to take away business. Before Harry Potter, Disney used to have many more guests that would come to Orlando only to visit Disney and never leave the property. Universal's goal was to pull those guests away for a day or two during their visit, and they have succeeded. That is money out of Disney's pockets. I am already seeing buzz on the internet from people that have never visited Universal that now want to go once they build Nintendo rides. It will pull in a completely new set of enthusiastic fans. This takes more money away from Disney.

As for Disney's new attractions, their main ones are Avatar and a Hollywood Studios re-branding and makeover which will supposedly have an increased Star Wars presence/land and possible Carsland duplicate from DCA. Star Wars would be huge and would be the shot in the arm that park desperately needs. Fantasyland is still going stong in Magic Kingdom. So that leaves Epcot, which unfortunately doesn't have anything major on the horizon to my knowledge. The Frozen attraction is just a small ride within Norway. It will not be a major "E-ticket" attraction. Soarin will freshen up the ride with a new higher-res film and add capacity. A nice addition but nothing earth shattering. I hope they announce something truly new and exciting for Epcot soon.

I don't think it is a take away business, the 65 million are visitors to the region. The curve is being pushed outward. More capacity so we can have more visitors without things seeming cramped.

Yeah but spreading out means they will be all over the roads in those places, too.  BOO!

But I guess everyone needs to ride the Orlando Eye.

Actually no, they cannot create any new Marvel rides, only keep the existing ones.

I've read differently, although not from a certified legal authority, that Universal could make new rides so long as they fit the theme of the characters. 

I don't know if they have the rights to Guardians of the Galaxy, but if they wanted to make a Fantastic Four ride, is there something in the contract from stopping them?

Well, either way, Universal is following the Disney model and using the theme parks to springboard more resorts, where good revenue comes from.

As long as Islands exists, those Marvel attractions will remain indefinitely.  But that article didn't say anything about any new Marvel attractions at Islands.

• Like 1

I-Drive's iSquare megamall, hotel reveals project changes

"plan has shifted to include two buildings: a 500-room, 5-star Solis Orlando Resort and a 5-star-plus, 100-room Capella Suites."

"The project also will include a multistory retail mall plus ice-skating rink, performing arts theater and rooftop restaurant and observation tower."