Western 485 Development

Raintree21

With the coming opening of 485 in the western part of the county? Does anyone foresee major development in that area? It will provide in a way, major access to the Catawba River like never before and river development is something that has never been done here. Seems like every major city in the world usually is built on water of some sort. Could this be a new oasis or a new center of development for Charlotte?

With 485 finished, it will allow easy access between 77, 16, 27, and 29/74. I don't think that there has been that combination of major arteries in a given quadrant yet with finished sections of the loop. South has 77, South East has 74, East has 24/27, North East has 29 and 85, and North has 77. Add to that there are pre-existing communities on the other side of the river with Belmont and Mount Holly.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be development around the airport. Plenty of people live and work near O'Hare in Chicago. The airport traffic down here does not even come close to the noise level that O'Hare creates. It is so loud that u can be talking right into someone's ear and they still can't hear you. O'Hare is probably going to expand and they will have to tear down a good amount of housing for it too.....

I used to want the Catawba riverfront developed, but then I did some digging and have realized how fragile the river is. I would really prefer to see a greenway/preserve area all the way down it. I've really wanted to canoe the section betwen Wyle and Mtn Island because apparantly you can feel isolated from society.

I guess depending on what the flight patterns are, you can be ok with being near the airport. I know some people who live around the Little Rock Rd. area who say that when they're inside their houses, they usually don't hear anything.

When they build the light rail to the airport, I guess that would be one more reason to have development around it. You can then get to anywhere in the city from the airport via rail to rail or rail to bus essentially.

While I support preserving the ecosystem of the river, I'm sure there can be a balance found. Perhaps a linining of parks for 30-50 yards as a buffer, then development or something along those lines? What about the plan for the Sugar Creek greenway? I had heard that they plan on making that a river walk with shops, restaurants, and apartments lining it. Could this plan be used on the Catawba?

I still go back to my original post in that it seems like most all major cities or nationally/internationally "recognized" cities seem to be built on some form of water.

Oh definetly....I didn't mean that everything west of 485 should be undeveloped, I meant more what you suggested, a greenway buffer of sorts (this is already started with the whitewater park and surrounding natural rec. uses)......

With the coming opening of 485 in the western part of the county? Does anyone foresee major development in that area?  It will provide in a way, major access to the Catawba River like never before and river development is something that has never been done here.  Seems like every major city in the world usually is built on water of some sort.  Could this be a new oasis or a new center of development for Charlotte?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting point that you bring up. I never thought about the number of cities on a body of water. The only ones that I can think of off the top of my head are Denver, Atlanta, Phoenix, and Vegas. Not that many.

I'm worried with 485 coming that similar development to other stretches will follow. I would like to see a strict set of guidelines for the area between 485 and the river. Maybe allow only a certain percentage of the land to be developed. A riverside community would be nice with a riverfront park with canoe/kayak launch area, greenway to whitewater park, and maybe that would be a good area for an aquarium. I guess that depends if you want to make it a tourist area in conjunction with the wwpark. Maybe make a small midrise community with hotel and apartment or condo buildings. (Maybe someone could talk Burt Gellman to bring the Nautilus down there since Lake Norman residents are fighting it). Just a few crazy thoughts.

Interesting point that you bring up. I never thought about the number of cities on a body of water. The only ones that I can think of off the top of my head are Denver, Atlanta, Phoenix, and Vegas. Not that many.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Denver has a river right around downtown.

I think it would be cool to have denser area on the river just south of I85. I think the town of Belmont on the west side of the river will see major growth over time, and the towns that line the west side of the river have already started talking about building a trolley to connect the towns. I think BRT or commuter rail will be also be built right through there, on its way to gastonia.

Basically, that small area is flanked by 85, 485, and the Catawba River. It has the westbound railroad tracks and US74/Wilkinson running through it center for transit and major roadway arteries. It is near the town of Belmont, Mt. Holly, McAdenville, and Cramerton, each with quaint, small-town feels, but all likely to try to maintain that. It is also near the Airport entrance, the Olympic Water park, and lake Wylie.

For some reasons, i think the market could get behind a denser residential and office area there, and could be built along the river inlets with marinas etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you forgot to put a not in there when talking about the cities. But you're right, while major citites can be found without water, but the list of those built on water is much, much bigger and the cities are usually, much, much bigger.

Just looking at the major U.S. cities on water: Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, NYC, Fort Lauderdale, Norfolk, Washington D.C, Atlantic City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Charleston, Rochester, St. Louis, Baltimore, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Syracuse. The list can keep going.

Maybe make a small midrise community with hotel and apartment or condo buildings. (Maybe someone could talk Burt Gellman to bring the Nautilus down there since Lake Norman residents are fighting it). Just a few crazy thoughts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would probably be a good idea to have somewhere for people to stay if Charlotte is going to start hosting a bunch of competitions at the whitewater park. While we have a lot of hotels elsewhere, from my personal experience with whitewater work, probably the worst part of the day is the commute to and from the river, especially if you're wore out from being on the water all day or the day before. But I guess conversely, if we put a hotel right there and keep the visitors right there, they won't come to the other parts of Charlotte and experience it.

What is Nautilus?

Check out Where the City Meets the Water for some nice design plans, photos, and examples of cities around the world. The first few paragraphs are great.

Links to waterfront cities and their city plans

I remember now. There was a huge thing about it because the local fire department's ladder truck wouldn't reach the top of it which is invalid because even Charlotte's ladder trucks can't reach the top of it or most of the buildings in downtown Charlotte. They have methods of getting around that. But the news and politicians simply go on sensationalism.

That would be a great idea I think to move it down to the lake. Especially with the aquarium theme.

Check out Where the City Meets the Water for some nice design plans, photos, and examples of cities around the world.  The first few paragraphs are great.

Links to waterfront cities and their city plans

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice links :) . Here are a couple more to projects planned on the Trinity River in Dallas - Fort Worth.

Dallas Trinity River Corridor Project

Trinity River Vision

Archived