Winston-Salem DT Redevelopment

monsoon

It appears the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership is working on plans to get the redevelopment of the 4th Stree area back on track. This might be the ticket to jump-start the revitalization which has slowed a bit over the past couple of years. Any ideas of comments on this plan?

More information in this article.

Winston-Salem, N.C., Partnership May Make Downtown Dreams Come True

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Superblock number 2 actually. Superblock number 1 was in the 1980s, and includes the area wher the 34 story former Wachovia headquarters is located, and the then spec building, now BB&T 20 story building, and the 7 story Century Plaza. There was to be a 15 story and 10 story set called Corpening Plaza, and the Lincoln Center, twin towers of 10 or 12 storeys was also to have been included (I think they were to be in Superblock 1), and of course, the headquaters for Lowes Home Improvement discussions included their 30 - 36 story headqaurters, which never materialized. Only the first three here listed were built.

This superblock is the old courthouse, and the area between 3rd and 4th Streets, and between Trade and Liberty Streets.

Matthew, TwinCity, and others, please correct if I 've made errors.

yea u had it right yadkinv. Matthew saw plans for a 14 storey and a 7 storey building but that does not sound like a "SuperBlock" so im hoping that the 1st one is an indication of what is envisioned for this area.

Also, downtown revitalizaton has not slowed in the past few years. If anything its been steady or even speeded up over the last couple of years. This article is just mentioning the many set backs of the pepper building/courthouse area. the rest of 4th has been pretty busy with construction.

The Superblock plans seem to be a good thing for Winston. Restaurant Row, area on 4th St DT, really seems to be picking up some momentum. I don't know about anyone else, but I was pumped when I saw that Mellow Mushroom is coming to DT. Pineapple Paisley, formerly in DT Greensboro, also annouced they're reopening in the 4th Street/Arts District area.

Just recently Foothill Brewery, the cities first microbrewery opened as well as 6th and Vine. The majority of the restaurants on 4th are packed during the day, and the evening hours seem to be picking up somewhat. Once the Nissen Building (18 Stories, 142 Condos), the Adams Mark conversion into Center City Marriott and Embassy Suites, and the other DT condos (Piedmont Lofts I & II) are completed this year, I think we'll see a lot more foot traffic, making people in suburbia feel safer and more willing to come DT to eat instead of going to the numerous Chains in Winston.

I was really glad to hear that the Liberty St area was added to the Arts District. That area needs some major help.

The PTRP just got a Federal grant for the park's infrastructure. Anyone know what that is to include?

Archived