Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joshuacc

Buying a place in Southend

Looking for something cool in the Southend area for my girlfriend and I. I figure I might as well buy something instead of blowing $900 on my rental. This would be my first purchase, and I'd want to stay in the 150k range.

Looking for something cool in the Southend area for my girlfriend and I. I figure I might as well buy something instead of blowing $900 on my rental. This would be my first purchase, and I'd want to stay in the 150k range.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you thought about contacting a real estate agent?

Have you thought about contacting a real estate agent?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have, but I figured here would be a good place to ask as well. Everyone here seems to be up on what's around and coming up.

My thoughts on this is that $150K is not going to be enough to find a nice place in SouthEnd though such places might exist. A real estate agent is going to be able to tell you exactly what is available. 3030 S. Blvd comes to mind though that really isn't SouthEnd.

I have, but I figured here would be a good place to ask as well. Everyone here seems to be up on what's around and coming up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd try blvdcentro.com and look at several of the projects included at the Village of SouthEnd.

The best place is 115 W. Park Ave....know as Park on the Trolley.....

There are a couple of units right now for about $135k, and the whole complex is seeing tremdous appreciation.....plus it is on the trolley and future LRT line. Depending on how the original buyer upfitted the unit, many have strainless appliances and granite countertops. Plus there is decked parking. The other added benefit is that you are about 50 feet away from Phat Burrito.

The best place is 115 W. Park Ave....know as Park on the Trolley.....

Do you have a website for them?

I went driving through that area the other day, more so in the east side of S. Blvd and couldn't find anything under 200k. Then if you go on the west side of Tryon you get into the hood.

I don't believe there is still a website since the project is a couple of years old, but here are two units still for sale for just under $140k

http://www.carolinahome.com/findHome/report.cfm?mlsid=505321

http://www.carolinahome.com/findHome/report.cfm?mlsid=498474

There is another unit in the same price range for sale, though it is under contract. I believe Furman used to (and still might) live in the building.

There I am holding the bag.....just kidding....I can't believe I'm not there, especially if you took this at lunch/.....maybe I called in sick that day.

Im having the same problem as Josh, looking for my first house as well. Ideal location would be along south blvd within walking distance of one of the LRT stations. I have a realtor looking, but its hard to find a decent house for under 150k in this region, and I'd prefer under 140. Close to Dilworth and a 1300sqf. house cost 250,000. Go south of that and its duplexes in a crappy neighborhood.

Condos and townhouses just wont work for me because I drive a very large truck home from work. So im kinda limited to a house. I think the idea of being close to a station and close to uptown is just not realistic. Maybe i'll start looking around plaza/midwood, or elizabeth.

None of us on here really like sprawl, but you cant deny its appeal. I could build a brand new 2 story house down off york road for 120k. Wont have to worry about old plumbing, old electrical, window airconditioners, and deteriorating roofs. Its like the lure of the dark side...lol

But then again, I love being in the middle of everything, love being that close to uptown because I hang out there every other weekend. Not to mention my "area" of work is from tyvola, up to dilworth, myers park and 1st, 2nd and 3rd wards. I guess patience will have to overcome :D

I moved to Charlotte from Virginia about 4 months ago and was able to find a condo for sale in Factory South which is a bit on the upper end of prices, but nowhere close to what the Arlington costs.

Approx. 3 units have come on the market in the last 4 months, but like I say, a bit pricey - 1200sq might set you back between $200,000 and $240,000.

In my opinion I think Southend offers more options than downtown, but it'ss close enough to downtown to be able to walk in at night and not be knackered by the time you get there. Plus Tavern on the Tracks has $2 beers every Friday night :))

I am also eagerly awaiting the building of the light rail system, which I think will bring more revitilization to the Southend area. Although with all the news about the skyscraper condo places being built in downtown, I think Charlotte will be just fine without relying on the light rail system to bring people downtown.

Thanks, KA.