Hampton Development

rusthebuss

The Power Plant of Hampton Roads

The Power Plant lakeside project next to Bass Pro is well underway with Joe's Crab Shack, Cold Stone Creamery, McFadden's Restaurant & Saloon, and Starbucks now open. This project also an island-themed restaurant called Parrot Beach and Saddle Ridge Restaurant which will feature Rascals Comedy Club. These businesses will be opening later this spring. Outdoor decks, live entertainment, and dancing will be components these businesses, which will create a dynamic entertainment experience.

Johnny Carino's Country Italian Restaurant is also open and is located on the corner in front of Lowes on Power Plant Parkway. Other business located in the Power Plant project that have been open include Sonic Drive-in, CiCi's Pizza, Lowe's Home Improvement warehouse, Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon, and Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World. An announcement regarding what will be developed in the building next to Lowe's is expected shortly, so stay tuned!

Goodman & Son's Jewelers New Building is Near Completion

Goodman & Son's Jewelers new location will open in early 2005. The new building will be named Goodman Square at Coliseum Central and will house the new building's owners, Goodman & Son's Jewelers, and it will accommodate several other tenants as well. The project is being built as a 'turnkey' development by the design and build team of Ionic Design and Scott Thomas Construction. The center section of the building will be used for the 7,000 square foot Jewelry store and the there is 3,000 square feet on either side. One of these spaces has been leased to a Japanese Hibachi Steakhouse, which will also open in early 2005. The building is located on Coliseum Drive next to Bank of America and across from the Coliseum Mall.

Hampton Roads Convention Center Continues Construction

The 344, 000 square-foot Hampton Roads Convention Center has taken shape and is scheduled to open in the spring of 2005. Located next to the Hampton Coliseum, the convention center will attract millions of new visitors to Hampton, stimulate millions of dollars in new investment into the local economy, and increase sales tax revenues that the City can use to provide needed City services. Adjacent to the convention center, a 330 bed Embassy Suits Hotel developed by John Q. Hammons is in the mist of construction. Embassy Suits is expected to be completed about the same time as the convention center. For more information about booking a convention, conference, or seminar at the new convention center, contact the Hampton Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Hampton Roads Convention Center and Embassy Suites Hotel construction continues and both are scheduled to open in Spring 2005.

Mercury Plaza Redevelopment Underway

If you have driven by Mercury Plaza lately, you may have noticed some major changes taking place. The existing structure has been demolished to allow for new development. Texas Steakhouse & Saloon has been completed and is now open. Cracker Barrel construction nears completion and will be opening in the next several weeks. New announcements regarding this exciting redevelopment project will be available soon, so keep your eyes and ears open!

Cinema Cafe to Open Location in District

Cinema Caf

post-1522-1111097443_thumb.jpg

Edited by vdogg

New resort opens today to guests

YORK COUNTY -- The Great Wolf Lodge that has been more than a year in the making still was going through its final touching up as its first guests arrived to fill 100 rooms today.

Public officials took their first look at every nook and cranny of the enormous new family-oriented $62 million resort Wednesday. Besides drawing the out-of-towners to the vacation destination, parts of the lodge will be available to locals.

There are eight types of suites, all with fireplaces and balconies, ranging in price from about $300 to more than $400 a night. Many feature separate kid-themed areas with bunk beds and a television in a mock cabin, tent or wolf den.

Full Story

That would be great to take a vacation during the winter time and still go to a waterpark and not really have to travel. I think this is great for this area!!!!!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish that Hampton and NewPort News would get in on the high rise condominium craze! The views from a high rise condo in Hampton would be spectacular because you could practically look out and see the skylines of NewPort News, Norfolk, and VaBeach during good weather! The best views would be of the naval base and the the activities on the water with ships coming in and out of port.

I wish that Hampton and NewPort News would get in on the high rise condominium craze!  The views from a high rise condo in Hampton would be spectacular because you could practically look out and see the skylines of NewPort News, Norfolk, and VaBeach during good weather! The best views would be of the naval base and the the activities on the water with ships coming in and out of port.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could see this happening in Hampton before NN. Though with the Oyster Pointe project going on NN may very well step up to the plate too.

I wonder if NASA is in jeopardy of being closed? I really hope not its a good thing for this area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nasa Langley is already going through optional downsizing but I don't think that Nasa Langley is in danger of closing. I guess we'll see though. :(

It's odd to say it how I'm going to say it, especially in lieu of all that's going on at NASA Langley, but I have a feeling that with increases in budgets at the technology and simulation centers in Suffolk, some of the laid-off workers may maintain jobs in the area, which may not be too bad. Regardless though, many jobs will be lost and some of those 1000 + workers will likely leave and take $70,000 a year salaries/tax dollars with them. <_< Hopefully as NASA "finds itself" now in the 21st century they can bring more jobs into the area and replace all those that are lost.

It's odd to say it how I'm going to say it, especially in lieu of all that's going on at NASA Langley, but I have a feeling that with increases in budgets at the technology and simulation centers in Suffolk, some of the laid-off workers may maintain jobs in the area, which may not be too bad.  Regardless though, many jobs will be lost and some of those 1000 + workers will likely leave and take $70,000 a year salaries/tax dollars with them. <_< Hopefully as NASA "finds itself" now in the 21st century they can bring more jobs into the area and replace all those that are lost.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's definately a possibility. This area just seems cursed when it comes to keeping high paying jobs though. I hope that things will turn around.

Hampton Roads as a whole has some major problems with maintaining its highly paid workforce, indeed. IMO I think that the major projects--the City Centers, VB Town Centers, and major office parks--should target jobs that are brand new to the area and pull in some relocations or something along those lines. A lot of the big projects (City Center in particular) have just shifted jobs from one section of Newport News to another. It seems like a waste to me... Though I do drive by City Center every week and it's really coming together nicely. I can't wait to see the finished project!

It's odd to say it how I'm going to say it, especially in lieu of all that's going on at NASA Langley, but I have a feeling that with increases in budgets at the technology and simulation centers in Suffolk, some of the laid-off workers may maintain jobs in the area, which may not be too bad.  Regardless though, many jobs will be lost and some of those 1000 + workers will likely leave and take $70,000 a year salaries/tax dollars with them. <_< Hopefully as NASA "finds itself" now in the 21st century they can bring more jobs into the area and replace all those that are lost.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the jobs that are being cut at Nasa Langley are not people that work thier directly. It is the contractors that work for nasa langley that are being cut. Most of the high paying jobs will be staying put. Not to mention that most of these contractors are local and will probably be able to find plenty of work elsewhere within the area with places more and more technology based business popping up. Hampton is working on a air research technology park just outside of nasa that will work in conjunction with nasa, lets hope that this comes through.

• 4 weeks later...

www.oysterpointonline.com BUT it hasn't been updated since '03  :rofl:  It does have excellent renderings though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the web site has been updated. Most of the pictures that I showed earlier in this thread came from that web site. You just have to go to the different areas such as the retail district, office district and residential district and click on view renderings. Most of the second phase now under construction is already on the web page. I do agree though that they tend to let some time go by before they update there website though. :angry:

More development for Coliseum area

Two retail centers, a hotel and a credit union are planned for Coliseum Central in Hampton.

Two area developers plan to build two retail centers, a 95-room hotel and a branch for Navy Federal Credit Union in the Coliseum Central District.

Reese Smith & Associates in Virginia Beach bought three land parcels from Sarcope Holding Co., and the development company plans to build two retail strip centers on the corners of Hardy Cash and Executive drives. The company also plans to develop a branch for Navy Federal Credit Union on a separate 4.2-acre parcel fronting Magruder Boulevard.

D&C LLC, a group in South Hampton Roads that develops hotels, purchased a fourth parcel for an undisclosed price from the same private holding company, and D&C plans to build a 95-room Countryside Inn & Suites Hotel on 2.3 acres.

Hampton's Coliseum Central District, which recently has added restaurants and the Hampton Roads Convention Center, has been the catalyst for millions in development dollars coming to Hampton in recent years......

Resto story

More development for Coliseum area

Two retail centers, a hotel and a credit union are planned for Coliseum Central in Hampton.

Two area developers plan to build two retail centers, a 95-room hotel and a branch for Navy Federal Credit Union in the Coliseum Central District.

Reese Smith & Associates in Virginia Beach bought three land parcels from Sarcope Holding Co., and the development company plans to build two retail strip centers on the corners of Hardy Cash and Executive drives. The company also plans to develop a branch for Navy Federal Credit Union on a separate 4.2-acre parcel fronting Magruder Boulevard.

D&C LLC, a group in South Hampton Roads that develops hotels, purchased a fourth parcel for an undisclosed price from the same private holding company, and D&C plans to build a 95-room Countryside Inn & Suites Hotel on 2.3 acres.

Hampton's Coliseum Central District, which recently has added restaurants and the Hampton Roads Convention Center, has been the catalyst for millions in development dollars coming to Hampton in recent years......

Resto story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't decide if that makes me happy or sad... One good thing is that it'll bring money and new businesses to the city, but strip retail has long passed its prime in the Coliseum Central area... I wish they'd build more of a mixed-use area, but I guess the Coliseum Mall will provide that? I just see another strip mall with mediocre tenants popping up. The new hotel is an interesting thought though... More room nights for the Convention Center, I guess? :thumbsup: And maybe a higher-class tenant mix at the retail portion.

Wavy 10 just posted an article with a breakdown of gains and losses. We actually gained over all in the region as far as military personell, lost a few hundred civilian jobs (which isn't all bad because civilians don't necessarily move if they lose there jobs). -_-

Check it out here

Wavy 10 just posted an article with a breakdown of gains and losses.  We actually gained over all in the region as far as military personell, lost  a few hundred civilian jobs (which isn't all bad because civilians don't necessarily move if they lose there jobs). -_-

Check it out here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep in mind that the figures for Langley don't show the Air national Gaurd Unit from Richmond in its figures. This was a seperate event I believe, because the unit needed to train on the new fa_22 raptors at langley. So add 1,000 more to the bottom line.

Wavy 10 just posted an article with a breakdown of gains and losses.  We actually gained over all in the region as far as military personell, lost  a few hundred civilian jobs (which isn't all bad because civilians don't necessarily move if they lose there jobs). -_-

Check it out here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We did escape relatively unscathed thankfully. Good to know Oceana did not make the cut. I really wasn't overtly concerned by ya never know. :unsure:

We did escape relatively unscathed thankfully. Good to know Oceana did not make the cut. I really wasn't overtly concerned by ya never know.  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am glad to hear that Oceana is being realigned however. This may be the start towards a gradual shift towards less dependence on the military. Depending on how they realign this base, we may see a relaxing of height limits at the oceanfront.