Hampton Development

rusthebuss

We can truly say HR is undergoing a building boom just like similiar cities across the US. It is just so exciting to hear about and see these developments!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, its amazing! Pretty much every major city in the US is going into hyper-building mode, which is awesome! Most noteably is the residential development exploding everywhere.

Yeah, its amazing! Pretty much every major city in the US is going into hyper-building mode, which is awesome! Most noteably is the residential development exploding everywhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah i noticed how many high rise condos are going up everywhere.

Wal-Mart Looks At Second Newport News Location

May 27, 2005, 06:17 AM Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

Wal-Mart super centers seem to be popping up all over Hampton Roads. Newport News may be getting their second, but some folks aren't happy about the location, citing traffic congestion and negative environmental impact.

Wal-Mart officials are looking at a spot on Hampton Roads Center Parkway between Harpersville Road and Hampton's Sandy Bottom Nature Park. NewChannel Three's Peninsula Reporter Kathleen Carey talked with residents, and the owner of an independent grocery store that could also be adversely affected.

There are regulatory hurdles that need to be jumped before the Wal-Mart proposal can move forward. In a nut shell they include rezoning, wetlands studies, and traffic patterns. But there is also a tiny market that could lose out if the giant retailer wins. Game's Farmers Market is owned by Earl Game. He's had the business since 1972 but says the market has been in business since the 1920's.

Rest of the Story

Wal-Mart Looks At Second Newport News Location

May 27, 2005, 06:17 AM  Email to a Friend  Printer Friendly Version   

Wal-Mart super centers seem to be popping up all over Hampton Roads. Newport News may be getting their second, but some folks aren't happy about the location, citing traffic congestion and negative environmental impact.

Wal-Mart officials are looking at a spot on Hampton Roads Center Parkway between Harpersville Road and Hampton's Sandy Bottom Nature Park. NewChannel Three's Peninsula Reporter Kathleen Carey talked with residents, and the owner of an independent grocery store that could also be adversely affected.

There are regulatory hurdles that need to be jumped before the Wal-Mart proposal can move forward. In a nut shell they include rezoning, wetlands studies, and traffic patterns. But there is also a tiny market that could lose out if the giant retailer wins. Game's Farmers Market is owned by Earl Game. He's had the business since 1972 but says the market has been in business since the 1920's.

Rest of the Story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another walmart in Hampton Roads :rolleyes: . I guess they didn't think we had enough of them.

From what I have seen they force themselves upon cities that don't even want them. I have seen where cities have to create ordinances to keep them out. Then they try to find loopholes around those. These guys are just too agressive. Greed. And what about the little guy who loses their shop when Walmart comes to town? I guess you could call it 'progress' but I don't appreciate the way in which they operate.

From what I have seen they force themselves upon cities that don't even want them. I have seen where cities have to create ordinances to keep them out. Then they try to find loopholes around those. These guys are just too agressive. Greed. And what about the little guy who loses their shop when Walmart comes to town? I guess you could call it 'progress' but I don't appreciate the way in which they operate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but those small stores are super expensive!!!! Way overpriced. I understand a little bit because walmart doesn't feel like a community store or part of the community but it sure helps alot of people and gives people a chance for a job!!! Ones that were not working before.

Edited by rusthebuss

Yeah but those small stores are super expensive!!!! Way overpriced. I understand a little bit because walmart doesn't feel like a community store or part of the community but it sure helps alot of people and gives people a chance for a job!!! Ones that where not working before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not just that but Walmart is the epitomy of suburban sprawl. It's big and ugly with no architectural significance what so ever. With a region that is trying to urbanize recruiting more Walmarts is the wrong direction to take.

Not just that but Walmart is the epitomy of suburban sprawl. It's big and ugly with no architectural significance what so ever. With a region that is trying to urbanize recruiting more Walmarts is the wrong direction to take.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have Walmarts in just about every city. I know LA has one and they have one in Brooklyn. So i don't know if i agree with the suburban sprawl. Maybe the cities could tell them to redesign the new walmart but honestly Newport News is really a suburb.

Edited by rusthebuss

Read this and you will better understand why Wal-Mart is hated.

The Wal-Mart you don't know

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This guy obviously has a bone to pick with Wal-Mart. But from reading the article it sounds like smear to me. Every person that you heard from (other than those who were mad because they got trumped) seemed to be pleased to do business with them. Yes wal-mart expects the lowest price and will get it however it comes, but alot of the businesses I have heard on this article are upset with wal-mart because they ended up biting off more than they could choose. I gaurantee that these companies laid people off when they needed to instead of dropping there mere 1.8 million dollar a year corporate salary a few hundred thousand. I have no sympathy for these people. Much like us airways expecting there employees to take pay cuts and loose benefites while the ceo gets a million dollar bonus and a pay raise.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Wal-mart (for other reasons-slow check out lines-rude costumer service) but they bring another dimension to this world that helps the AVERAGE family buy things they normally couldn't at mom and pop stores, or expensive retail chains. Personally, I try to shop at target or kmart if I can but sometimes Wal-mart is unavoidable.

I don't hate Wal-Mart, I do however hate shopping at Wal-mart. When we (my wife and I) go there it's just sooooooo freakin crowded. People everywhere bumping into each other with those stupid carts. Also, why do I have to slide my jar of Miracle Whip and everything else in my cart 65 times and 20 different ways in the self-check out lane before the scanner goes "beep"? But the lady at register 12 slides it across her scanner once before it goes "beep".

When we get some Super Targets in the area I'm going to do more shopping there I think. Hopefully it will be less crowded.

Well... the point of the matter is, as the area can no longer build out in suburban sprawl (like the areas WalMarts thrive upon), HR has to go up. Building a big, ugly WalMart in the middle of Midtown Newport News is about as insane as the TC Dollar store. I shop at WalMart on an almost weekly basis, but if I had alternatives in this god-forsaken suburban hell that is York County/Newport News I would definitely utilize them.

Well... the point of the matter is, as the area can no longer build out in suburban sprawl (like the areas WalMarts thrive upon), HR has to go up.  Building a big, ugly WalMart in the middle of Midtown Newport News is about as insane as the TC Dollar store.  I shop at WalMart on an almost weekly basis, but if I had alternatives in this god-forsaken suburban hell that is York County/Newport News I would definitely utilize them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Understand that this area will never be like New York City with miles of skyline. Our area encompasses 30 radius miles. If we were urban in the complete since of a downtown for 30 miles than we would be the largest city in the world. I have no complaints about building a walmart in an area that is pretty much suburban. Now if they were trying to build that thing right across from the City Center/Port Warwick development in Newport News where we are trying to build an urban environment, or in Downtown Newport News, Norfolk, or at Town Center, than yes I would have a real serious problem with that. However, I have been to Philly and other downtowns where walmart has been built in to the urban malls, underground malls and I see no problem with that. Walmart just has to adapt to its surroundings, and it doesn't have a problem doing that. But in central newport news that is pretty much suburban any ways I see no problem with that. Not every area of hampton roads is urban.

Well... the point of the matter is, as the area can no longer build out in suburban sprawl (like the areas WalMarts thrive upon), HR has to go up.  Building a big, ugly WalMart in the middle of Midtown Newport News is about as insane as the TC Dollar store.  I shop at WalMart on an almost weekly basis, but if I had alternatives in this god-forsaken suburban hell that is York County/Newport News I would definitely utilize them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point exactly! :thumbsup:

Understand that this area will never be like New York City with miles of skyline.  Our area encompasses 30 radius miles.  If we were urban in the complete since of a downtown for 30 miles than we would be the largest city in the world.  I have no complaints about building a walmart in an area that is pretty much suburban.  Now if they were trying to build that thing right across from the City Center/Port Warwick development in Newport News where we are trying to build an urban environment, or in Downtown Newport News, Norfolk, or at Town Center, than yes I would have a real serious problem with that.  However, I have been to Philly and other downtowns where walmart has been built in to the urban malls, underground malls and I see no problem with that.  Walmart just has to adapt to its surroundings, and it doesn't have a problem doing that.  But in central newport news that is pretty much suburban any ways I see no problem with that.  Not every area of hampton roads is urban.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If walmart had a history of adapting to its surroundings i would be more supportive. So far, i haven't seen that.

Also, suburban sprawl would be considered trying to build a walmart in lightfoot or lee hall area. Suburban sprawl is not considered building in an area that is already suburban in the first place. It is considered building in an area that use to be rural, farm lands, dairies, etc... much like denbigh in newport news has continued to do. Thousands upon thousands of people live in the area that this walmart will be, including myself and that would be far from rural.

If walmart had a history of adapting to its surroundings i would be more supportive. So far, i haven't seen that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Travel to some of the cities up north, outside of New York, which won't even allow them in, and some western cities. Walmart adapts itself to the area it serves. Not every walmart is a box in the middle of nowhere. Case in point, Harrisonburg Virginia's first walmart was built into the existing mall. It thrived there for several years before Walmart finally left and ended up moving into a shopping center and becoming an anchor there for the project the city created. Walmart is in almost every major Downtown area. And I can gaurantee you that they are not big boxes built in the middle of sckyscrapers.

Also... I wasn't elluding to HR becoming a "sprawling New York". That will NEVER happen and I wouldn't want it to. I like that there are pockets of different, distinct neighborhoods lacking highrises. Hey... an old victorian or golfing community is preferable over sprawling, ugly urbanness. I like downtowns, and as Midtown Newport News is quickly developing into "the Peninsula's DT", I think that a WalMart would be a bad idea for the area. It kind-of goes against the whole "downtown feel" IMO and has the tendency to turn neighborhoods into Carbon-Copy dullsvilles with no personality. I'm sorry, but a gable with tiles on top of a WalMart doesn't make it any less obtrusive.

Also... I wasn't elluding to HR becoming a "sprawling New York".  That will NEVER happen and I wouldn't want it to.  I like that there are pockets of different, distinct neighborhoods lacking highrises.  Hey... an old victorian or golfing community is preferable over sprawling, ugly urbanness.  I like downtowns, and as Midtown Newport News is quickly developing into "the Peninsula's DT", I think that a WalMart would be a bad idea for the area.  It kind-of goes against the whole "downtown feel" IMO and has the tendency to turn neighborhoods into Carbon-Copy dullsvilles with no personality.  I'm sorry, but a gable with tiles on top of a WalMart doesn't make it any less obtrusive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I reall doubt NNews will really have a "DT" and probably will always be a burb. So i wouldn't stress on a WalMart coming to the mid town area.