Hampton Development

rusthebuss

I agree with you, but even though we don't have an espn zone it is a unique environment.  Heck, I've tried to get into the club there and havn't been able to get in each time, it was jam packed.  That place is doing killer business and it hasn't even officially opened yet.  All of the businesses there are doing very well.  There should be a couple more clubs coming and come summer time that place will be hoppin'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even though I'm not legal age, the club scene there is what I was counting on. With Five and others possibly signed up (they''ve kept it so hush-hush :angry: ) it'll get better with time.. I just expected a very different feel than it currently has...

Hopefully people in NNews and Hampton won't have to drive 30-45 minutes to Norfolk anymore and it'll be a big hit? I hope so, but still on the fence.

I went to Bass Pro (yes... boy clad in Express and Abercrombie in there.. quite a sight to behold) and it was quite impressive...  Almost Disney-ish in its scale and detail.  VERY impressive actually.  The rest is a bit lackluster and they need to ramp it up around Power Plant...  there is, however, a large site across the street (power plant pkwy) and hopefully it'll fulfill a few promises *crosses fingers*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably just another boring shopping center from the looks of it. Hampton hasn't learned there lesson yet. :w00t:

I agree with the last point entirely. Many might get annoyed with my repeated saying "we need a major relocation", but to kickstart any boom in business, we need it soon. If AT + T or IBM or SunCom suddenly got sick of their old HQ's and moved jobs here (physically transporting their employees from their home-cities of Atlanta, New York, what-have-you), then that would be a big boost. I don't know if it'll happen anytime soon, but a number of new regional HQs are being set up here...

And according to major publications... we're a GREAT relocation market. :rolleyes:

I agree with the last point entirely.  Many might get annoyed with my repeated saying "we need a major relocation", but to kickstart any boom in business, we need it soon.  If AT + T or IBM or SunCom suddenly got sick of their old HQ's and moved jobs here (physically transporting their employees from their home-cities of Atlanta, New York, what-have-you), then that would be a big boost.  I don't know if it'll happen anytime soon, but a number of new regional HQs are being set up here...

And according to major publications... we're a GREAT relocation market.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that we need more higher paying jobs and we need fortune 500 companies planting their hq here. What you have to realize is that dt hampton is where all the clubs are going to be. Putting it at the Power Plant makes no sense with a Bass Pro shop and Lowe's. They are trying to create a family environment for the area.

The Peninsula is built-out.  Your last point was on the money... we have almost no land whatsoever, and while we have 1/2 the people, we have a much smaller fraction of the land.

Also, the Peninsula doesn't depend on the Southside as far as economic development...  It has generated a large economy on it's own based on shipbuilding, the military, and government jobs.  Now the private sector (big corporations) are taking notice as well and relocating to Oyster Point, etc. 

I understand what you say and it has valid points, but the Peninsula is ready.  We have 1/2 million residents on less than 300 square miles of land...  Not bad?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually alot companies look at this area because of Vabeach and Norfolk. If you went somewhere else and said NN or Hampton they probably never heard of it. The businesses may come there but they where inquiring about this area due to VaBeach and Norfolk. Its just like all the suburban projects that look at a city but move to the suburbs.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this in an article on Morningstar.com on homebuilders: "Many aging baby boomers are choosing to rent, threatening the demand for active-adult housing communities. "

This is probably the market that Drucker & Falk is going after.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like another new example of new urbanism will be taking shape in northern Newport News. The City will release more precise details in 45-60 days regarding the development of 400 acres of land up near the Lee Hall section of the city. This is a snippet from a Daily Press article:

"Negotiating a favorable agreement for the city is more important than sticking to the schedule," he said.

Council members selected L.M. Sandler & Sons Inc., a Virginia Beach development firm headed by brothers Steven and Art Sandler, for the work in April 2004. The city wants to sell much of the public land to the Sandlers, who will build a mix of upscale housing - including homes, apartments and condos - with stores and offices.

Design features will complement the architecture of the Revolutionary War-era Endview Plantation and antebellum Lee Hall Mansion. Open space will remain around the two historic buildings.

Total investment will be more than $500 million. Mayor Joe Frank has called the development a "transformational" project that will overhaul the city's somewhat-rural northern end. "You can't hurry the harvest," said Chris Bridge, a spokeswoman for the Sandlers. "You have to have a development agreement that reflects the priorities of both parties."

Maybe sometime soon Vdogg will realize that Newport News is pumping the most (at least the most per capita) amount of money into its locale to spur urban and economic development, and it will get its very own thread in the upper tiered section of the forum. ;)

ps. Good work on the info regarding the high rise condo to be built in the City Center development.

Looks like the National Institute of Aerospace is up and running. They just had a ribbon cutting ceremony on the first of several buildings. Sounds like they are doing pretty decent in the first year. Teaming up with some large schools such as University of Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State, and so on. Check it out here :rolleyes:

Looks like the National Institute of Aerospace is up and running.  They just had a ribbon cutting ceremony on the first of several buildings.  Sounds like they are doing pretty decent in the first year.  Teaming up with some large schools such as University of Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State, and so on. Check it out here :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is a link to there website if your interested. NIA :thumbsup:

Any volunteers here willing to kickstart an organization? I wish I had the time ... but alas, I have nothing close. However, if I don't stop loitering on this forum during office hours I'm liable to end up with a whole lot more free time on my hands, LOL. :whistling:

Urbanfan, thanks for the tour of Phoebus; it was great. Seems to me there were some (or at least one) seafood restaurant(s) near Old Point Comfort. I also remember when the steamer from Norfolk to Baltimore operated, it stopped for passenger pick-up at Old Point Comfort. I took the overnight steamer trip in the late 1950s. Also, for one brief summer in the late 60s, a hydrafoil operated between Richmond and Hampton but I can't remember exactly where it terminated, but believe it was near the Chamberlain Hotel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

From insidebiz:

"Connecticut-based Collins Enterprises LLC has been selected to develop a new $17 million upscale apartment complex in downtown Hampton. Located on Settlers Landing Road, the 140-residential-unit complex will be called The Heritage at Settlers Landing. Phase one is scheduled to open in March."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just heard on WAVY that the Daily Press is reporting that Donald Trump is interested in the Fort Monroe property.

Imagine what he could do with that piece of land.

no kidding. The Donald wants that? .. how interesting...... or scary :lol:

any ideas what for?

Edited by guynvb

I just heard on WAVY that the Daily Press is reporting that Donald Trump is interested in the Fort Monroe property.

Imagine what he could do with that piece of land.

You mean to tell me that we even came up on his radar! How cool is that. He must see something great here! That might mean later on he might have some interest in DT Norfolk or TC!

Psst! Was that The Donald gliding by in Hampton in that limo?

Link

If this is true it could be either really good or really bad. If Hampton gets star-struck they might just let him build anything just to have something that says, "Trump was Here". If they stick to their guns they could get something that would put Hampton on the map.

For now it's just a rumor.

Psst! Was that The Donald gliding by in Hampton in that limo?

Link

If this is true it could be either really good or really bad. If Hampton gets star-struck they might just let him build anything just to have something that says, "Trump was Here". If they stick to their guns they could get something that would put Hampton on the map.

For now it's just a rumor.

Don't forget that Donald Trump is at least somewhat familiar with the area, he once owned The Hague Towers in Norfolk.