Hampton Development

rusthebuss

Don't forget that Donald Trump is at least somewhat familiar with the area, he once owned The Hague Towers in Norfolk.
Yeah I had heard that before. I thought it was funny when the Trump spokeswoman said this...

A spokeswoman at Trump's office in Manhattan said he has never visited the region.

However, after denying that a visit ever happened, the spokeswoman asked for the exact location of Hampton Roads and for a phone number for the Daily Press "just to make sure that I'm right."

She never called back.

Also...

Two South Hampton Roads developers who Brown would not identify told her "with a lot of confidence" that Trump was interested.

I think somebody is not being totally honest here. I would probably bet on the Trump spokesperson.

"That landscape, as Kearney describes it, would offer parks, neighborhoods and a commercial presence that leans more toward corporate headquarters than convenience stores or shopping districts."

Interesting :D . That's a great find Coupe, thanks.

I heard on the news that Donald Trump is looking at some property in the area and Fort Monroe was mentioned as a potential site for development by him! This could be an interesting situation!

• 3 weeks later...

One thing about Trump and Fort Monroe is that I would bet that Trump was interested in putting in a golf course and a hotel resort deal for the north end of the island. I think creating a small commercial district with some classic looking hotels and housing. That would be such a great money maker for the city.

Trump? He's interested?

From the sounds of some of the guys in here, he might be. I wouldn't be surprised if he is. The north end of the island would make one hell of a golf course.

actually the va pilot had a article on him visiting ft. monroe. His PR people acknowledged his interest in the ft. monroe development but wouldn't say for sure if he drove through here.

City of Hampton is hitting the ground running. Sandler and Sons is developing around the Convention center area a mixed use residential area called H20. (H-two-O). The city is also soliciting bids for development of 19 acres on the colliseum property to create a mixed use development including a hotel, residential and business opportunities. Prime location overlooking the highway. I doubt this location will last long. Here is a link to Hampton's economic development website, at the bottom is an article under ineteresting links, which explains the request and shows several develoopments that are underway or getting ready to start that have skipped our radar. Very interesting stuff in here.

Edited by urbanfan

City of Hampton is hitting the ground running. Sandler and Sons is developing around the Convention center area a mixed use residential area called H20. (H-two-O). The city is also soliciting bids for development of 19 acres on the colliseum property to create a mixed use development including a hotel, residential and business opportunities. Prime location overlooking the highway. I doubt this location will last long. Here is a link to Hampton's economic development website, at the bottom is an article under ineteresting links, which explains the request and shows several develoopments that are underway or getting ready to start that have skipped our radar. Very interesting stuff in here.

Ouch, I must be slipping. I'll check into this and see what stuff needs to be added to the projects listing.

Some interesting highlight from the RFQ:

-"250-300 room hotel" That would put the hotel at roughly the same size as the Oceanfront Hilton and the proposed Norfolk Hilton.

-"Resturants, entertainment and specialty retail" :)

-high density residential and or specialty retail.

I think we may get some height out of the hotel. I also like the high density residential and I think that H2O project is perfect for Hampton. Good find urbanfan. :thumbsup:

Edited by vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

actually I have to side in favor of NN's TC because its downtown is pretty much a lost cause because of the shipbuilders. Plus the land for the TC is huge, to expect the city to be making waves in that area is crazy. For starters it would probably end up all looking the same, it would cripple the city to take on a project that big, plus they are making steady progess already to keep this idea growing.

If they had built this as an idea of this is it, then I would be upset about it, but it has been set up to expand and grow as time goes on. NN has set out for something bigger than just a 10-20 year plan, this is a 100-200 year plan and I commend the city for taking on such a great challenge.

Whilke I certainly agree with you that the design could have been better, the most important thing here is that the Chamberlin has been saved from a grim fate. I'd love to have seen it kept as a hotel, but this simply wasn't a likely outcome. I'll miss it, but we can be glad that the building won't be demolished or (we hope) disfigured.

Edited by tombarnes

If your city or area is where people go to die, then your area is dying with them. What this area is most lacking is educated youth. The grads from the top colleges around the country don't head to Hampton Roads, but they do head to places like Austin, which isn't any bigger than Hampton Roads.

[RANT]There are a disproportionate amount of old geezers 'round here.[/RANT]

I'd say that's a pretty legit observation, even if it is a trifle unfair. Nice thing about the 'old geezers' is that they often bring money with them, which means that we may have an opportunity to build on their wealth to have the infrastructure to attract a younger crowd.

HR has done a lot these past 5 yrs or so to make this area a more culturally-friendly place, something that really appeals to the baby boomers who want to retire in culture-rich areas. Now I think we need to think about how to make it hip. Not "groovy." Way too Port Warwickish for me.

We need better nightlife, more opportunties for the u-30 crowd to socialize, and the jobs to make it happen. I think that when Town Center, City Center/OP Corridor, DT Norfolk and DT Hampton get built out we'll have the shopping districts and nightlife to bring young people here.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love Fort Monroe to become a historical "museum" tourist area. A possible golf course on the north end. I t could easily spur new "historical looking" developments and condos and such in Pheobus. I think this base closure is going to be the best thing to ever happen to that area because it really should be a target area for that city.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Picture1.jpg

It does look like a very nice project - and stacked townhomes will be a very good use for that location. The coliseum district will probably never completely rid itself of the "mall/shopping center district" feel, but it is sure coming a long way toward making that distinction not such a bad thing!

edit: a little help with the image tags.

Edited by vdogg

• 2 weeks later...