Hampton Development

rusthebuss

Downtown Hampton up in arms over plan

According to Planning Director Terry O'Neill, the Downtown Master Plan has built-in flexibility for plans to change because of the market. It would appear, based on the article, that once again special interest groups are being catered to, and not the citizens of Hampton. A leasing office and a private gym don't appear to be retail space to me. It would appear that Port Warwick is thriving with its mix of retail and residential properties. So what's the problem with Hampton doing the same thing? Is this another deal where the City Council is not doing its job to look out for the citizens of Hampton?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Bridge Street Condo owners default on loan Ouch! :unsure:

The developers of a condo project on Bridge Street in Hampton have defaulted on their loan, and the property will be auctioned in two weeks.

The site was slated to have 30 waterfront condos priced between $400,000 and $975,000. There are pilings in the ground, where some preliminary construction had begunbefore the city issued a stop work permit in August because the developers didn't have a building permit.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hampton investing billions in development

0701hampton500x300.jpg

Hampton wants to be more than just a city situated between Williamsburg and Virginia Beach.

It wants to be the city - the place to be - that just happens to be between Williamsburg and Virginia Beach.

Since 2003 an area just off Interstate 64, known as Coliseum Central Business Improvement District, has been metamorphosing into what planners hope will turn the city to the region's most sought-after destination - with $1.5 billion in private investment springing up from the ground.

• 3 weeks later...

Riverdale center might get face-lift

The family wants to change the Riverdale area in a way that connects to the new center but is different in concept and retail choice. There might be residential, office and retail components, but they would likely be separate phases, rather than Town Center's intermingled mixed-use concept.

"We believe that repositioning should complement, and not compete with Mall Properties," Duval said.

If the Riverdale property transformation roughly follows the plans laid out by Urban Design Associates for Hampton, there'll be some big changes. Any potential sale or redevelopment will likely involve more than just the shopping center.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Chamberlin Renovation Moves Forward

The renovation of the Chamberlin Hotel at Fort Monroe into a retirement community is making significant progress. The lobby will be restored, though the floorplans of the guest floors are being completely changed. The pool is being restored as well, but the new pool will likely not be as deep as the original. It's great to see that this project is moving forward at a good pace.

The Daily Press/Hotel-Online

• 2 weeks later...

I rode past Power Plant Pkwy today and noticed Johnny Carino's was closed. What happened and do anyone know if anything is coming in that space? I never ate there...was it good?

From Inside Business:

Power Plant loses restaurant

Raleigh-based Apple Gold Group, which operates Applebee

I'd say it was more like an Olive Garden than a Panera Bread. They did a good lunch business.

Little more adventurous menu than an Olive Garden -- especially in the non-pasta dishes. Probably half way between OG and Carrabba's. I always had the impression that most everything in there, like at OG and Panera, was prepared offsite in a commissary. Carrabba's is amazing in the fact that they prepare everything, including the salad dressings, on site. Why they aren't open for lunch -- prepping.

Little more adventurous menu than an Olive Garden -- especially in the non-pasta dishes. Probably half way between OG and Carrabba's. I always had the impression that most everything in there, like at OG and Panera, was prepared offsite in a commissary. Carrabba's is amazing in the fact that they prepare everything, including the salad dressings, on site. Why they aren't open for lunch -- prepping.

Oh ok...I heard from somebody else that they were good and a little better than OG but not up there with Carrabbas and Romano's Macaroni Grill. I think the reason why they wasn't profitable was due to their location because they wasn't directly on Mercury Blvd like Cracker Barrel. I work near that area and every time I go by Cracker Barrel and Lone Star...I always see cars in the parking lot. Sometimes I saw cars at Carino's and Texas Steakhouse. I also think Carino's didn't market themselves well within the region which is a major reason, being that they were exclusive to the HR region. People from other cities besides Hampton may didn't know about the restaurant. I think the property owner will find a good tenant due to the other businesses and hotels that are near the location.

Also...do anybody know of anything that will be in the new Peninsula Town Center besides JCPenney and Macy's? I heard it is going to be really nice with some upscale stores.

• 4 weeks later...

I was over in Hampton today in the Enterprise Parkway office park, and noticed that the HU Proton Therapy Institute building is coming along nicely. It is right across the street from the old Gateway factory. Part I didn't realize is that Armada Hoffler is the developer. Two renderings are on their website. It will be a great addition to the community when completed.

portfolio_hup_1.jpgportfolio_hup_2.jpg

• 4 months later...

There have been articles online on both dailypress and VirginiaPilot yesterday/today about the parent company of Bennigan's and Steak and Ale going bankrupt...and all three Bennigan's (Va Beach, Norfolk and Hampton) closed as well as the Steak and Ale in Hampton that was right beside the Bennigan's. They were located in front of the old Coliseum Mall. This is sad for Hampton to lose 2 restaurants but it provides an opportunity for the owners of the new Peninsula Town Center to bring in some new good restaurants/shops.

There have been articles online on both dailypress and VirginiaPilot yesterday/today about the parent company of Bennigan's and Steak and Ale going bankrupt...and all three Bennigan's (Va Beach, Norfolk and Hampton) closed as well as the Steak and Ale in Hampton that was right beside the Bennigan's. They were located in front of the old Coliseum Mall. This is sad for Hampton to lose 2 restaurants but it provides an opportunity for the owners of the new Peninsula Town Center to bring in some new good restaurants/shops.

Unfortunately, that happens when you do the same thing over and over. Never renovate, never change the menu. Especially in the competitive restaurant industry. On the bright side, El Pollo Loco is close to being finished. It is located at the Power Plant in Hampton, and probably about 70% done. Can't wait to get a taste of the fair. I know of several restaurants located in the new Town Center because our company designed the buildings. However, no forth coming information till an anouncement.

Unfortunately, that happens when you do the same thing over and over. Never renovate, never change the menu. Especially in the competitive restaurant industry. On the bright side, El Pollo Loco is close to being finished. It is located at the Power Plant in Hampton, and probably about 70% done. Can't wait to get a taste of the fair. I know of several restaurants located in the new Town Center because our company designed the buildings. However, no forth coming information till an anouncement.

You are right. In today's retail environment...you have to adapt to the changing consumer's taste/desires. Plus the Bennigans near Military Circle reeked and smelled like stale food and was very old inside. Are the new restaurants coming into the new Peninsula Town Center chains? Are they upscale or midscale? new to the area? I'm just curious. But I know that the owners of the Town Center will not leave two vacant buildings in front of a new destination.