Hampton Development

rusthebuss

But, no one else make a Monte Crisco....uh Monte Cristo. :) There's nothing better that a deep fried ham & cheese sandwich with raspberry preserve and topped with confectioners sugar. MMM. I can feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it.

LOL, that was about the only thing I got from there. Best sandwich hands down.

• 1 year later...

A proposed subdivision of condos and town houses next to Hampton Coliseum appears to be inching forward.

It's a slight turnaround from a year ago when construction halted as contractors who installed infrastructure, did grading, paving, stone and concrete work, and other labor filed liens against the developer.

The H2O community by Virginia Beach-based developer L.M. Sandler & Sons Inc. has stood for months as a cluster of a few buildings, peculiarly alone in an otherwise empty subdivision visible from Interstate 64.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_sa...,0,190839.story

• 1 month later...

The Power Plant area in Hampton is finally getting the long ago proposed Nascar Sports Grille. Other locations include Universal Studios City Walk in Orlando.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-mcfadden...0,3071573.story

We also just opened up The Pub at Town Center which is a Brittish Pub joint. Neat place, check it out at this website.

• 1 month later...

I really hope they can attain National Park status: Development Authority director looks to the private sector but rules out widespread building at Fort Monroe. I like how this is all coming together, especially since they want to keep Fort Monroe active/alive 24/7 with tourists and residents. I wouldn't consider this true urban development, but it certainly will boost tourism in our region with proper advertising and such. Heck, it may even help revitalize Buckroe, which would be awesome.

Edit: Sorry! I just realized this is a locked topic. I don't want to cause any trouble.

Edited by Achilles

• 3 weeks later...

Something to keep an eye on:

http://www.pdc.facilities.vt.edu/mediawiki/index.php/National_Institute_of_Aerospace

Project Title National Institute of Aerospace Building Number #### Project Manager Bruce Ferguson

Planning, Design & Construction

540 231-6449 Architect/Engineer Name

Address General Contractor Name

Address Gross Square Footage 60,000 No. of Stories (Bldg. Ht.) 3 Project Budget $12,000,000 Project Completion 2012

New downtown Hampton Circuit Court building & parking deck.

50371805.jpg

50371806.jpg

http://www.wtkr.com/news/dp-local_circuitcourt_1230dec30,0,6144395.story

The city is planning to spend $30 million to design and build a new Circuit Court building and a parking garage in downtown Hampton. The building has not been designed yet, but this is an illustration of what it may look like. (Courtesy of Urban Design Associates / November 4, 2009)

• 3 weeks later...

50 new retailers/eateries are expected to be announced for Peninsula Town Center today.

http://www.wvec.com/news/business/50-new-businesses-coming-to-Peninsula-Town-Center-82066327.html

The developer is claiming that many of the retailers will be new to the metro and/or state.

The list of stores is now available:

New to Virginia or first retail location:

Bensi Ristorante Italiano

Frank Beamer's American Grill

Huey's Diner

Kenji Fusion

Shoe Woo

Vincent's Italian Ice

New to Hampton Roads:

dELIA*s

Q Barbeque

The Wine Loft

New to the Peninsula:

Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy

Anthony Vince Nail Spa

Bakers

Build-A-Bear Workshop

Cache

Charming Charlie

Emerson's Cigars

H&M

Hollister

JoJack's Espresso Cafe

The Limited

Other stores:

Aeropostale

Aveda Animare Salon

Bath & Body Works

Bo Essentials

Chico's

Claire's

Express

Finish Line

Forever 21

G. Bates Ltd.

GameStop

Gymboree

Journey's

Justice

Kay Jewelers

Lane Bryant

Mekos Surf, Skate and More

New York & Company

Sports Clips

Sports Fan

Thaijindesu

Victoria's Secret

Vitamin World

Edited by mikeas

Wow I am shocked at the list. The restaurant list is so so but the tenant list looks great. I am proud of how Hampton is being so progressive. Some of those tenants are upscale like Cache, etc. Hampton has turned a ghetto mall and turned it into a popular modern town center with reputable and decent retailers. Norfolk still has that god awful Military Circle Mall and MacArthur isn't as good as it used to be. Hampton residents should be very proud of how their city has progressed. This town center will most definitely rival any mall/town center in Hampton Roads. I work near Hampton and will definitely shop here.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I finally got to check out Peninsula Town Center.

It's nothing but the truth! I am shocked at how great it is. I've never seen so much foot traffic anywhere in Hampton Roads except maybe the Oceanfront in the summer. Every store was wall to wall, every restaurant had a waiting list. There was almost no place to park in the whole area.

I'm impressed.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/hampton/dp-local_downtown_0320mar20,0,414211.story

•City officials have spoken to Yaromir Steiner, founder and chief executive officer of Steiner+Associates, the project developer of the Peninsula Town Center, to brainstorm ideas for downtown.

•Old Point National Bank will have its Hampton Roads corporate headquarters in a new $8 million building in downtown.

•A new Circuit Court building costing up to $30 million is planned

holy crap, I was expecting these photos was going to be of someplace else at to what the Peninsula town center was suppose to look like, I didnt think they were actually photos of the area. Definitely a foundation model for all the other urban plans in the metro.

I could see urban blocks like this throughout VaBeach's downtown and Norfolk's St Paul Quadrant. This style and size of buildings should be what is all throughout South Norfolk, so that Chesapeake could actually claim having a real downtown as well.

Photos like this are what TOD districts in Norfolk and VaBeach should all look like as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, those pictures of PTC are awesome.

What do you guys think about that "thing" happening over in Buckroe..Mansions??  :huh:

..Think that's a slick move to put upscale mansions in the middle of Buckroe?  

Oh and imagine if they integrated that same layout in PTC for some downtown areas..At least that's what Steiner's been thinking about doing..What you guys think they should do with downtown Hampton? Think it will happen anytime soon? I hope so.  :D

After launching Peninsula Town Center, Hampton turns sights to downtown

I checked out the Town Center about 2 weeks ago. I think that it turned out great. It is the most "city-like" mall development in Tidewater or Central VA. I'm really happy that the good people of Hampton and Newport News have a nice place to hang out (in additon to the parks and other public spaces there). I hope that it doesn't kill off City Center in Newport News (which is quite different given its office development). The same day I visitied the one in Hampton, I checked out City Center and it was dead.

Hey, those pictures of PTC are awesome.

What do you guys think about that "thing" happening over in Buckroe..Mansions?? huh.gif

..Think that's a slick move to put upscale mansions in the middle of Buckroe?

Oh and imagine if they integrated that same layout in PTC for some downtown areas..At least that's what Steiner's been thinking about doing..What you guys think they should do with downtown Hampton? Think it will happen anytime soon? I hope so. grin.png

After launching Peninsula Town Center, Hampton turns sights to downtown

Seriously...this is why Newport News and Hampton need to consolidate. No other two cities in the metro would benefit more from shared city services, in addition to consolidating city investments; making sense for all residents on the pennisula.

Edited by mlsimons

• 1 month later...

The National Institute of Aeronautics is adding another instituion to its list of top universities builing aerospace research facilities in Hampton. Virginia Tech plans to build a aeropace research lab on 5 acres in Hampton.

The National Institute of Aeronautics

The consortium is a nonprofit graduate education institute that conducts aerospace and atmospheric research and develops new technology.

Other instituitions involved with the park

Georgia Tech

Hampton University

NC Sate University

College of William and Mary

University of Maryland

University of Virginia

Old Dominion University

NC A&T University

American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics

Associated Press Article

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/state_regional/article/TECHGAT02_20100607-090801/349605/

National Institute of Aeronautics

http://nianet.org/Home.aspx

American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics

http://www.aiaa.org/index.cfm

Edited by calwinston

Something to keep an eye on:

http://www.pdc.facil...te_of_Aerospace

Project Title National Institute of Aerospace Building Number #### Project Manager Bruce Ferguson

Planning, Design & Construction

540 231-6449 Architect/Engineer Name

Address General Contractor Name

Address Gross Square Footage 60,000 No. of Stories (Bldg. Ht.) 3 Project Budget $12,000,000 Project Completion 2012

This must be the Virginia Tech Research Lab announced today by the associated press! It matches the 60,000 sq ft in the article!:thumbsup:

http://www2.timesdis...-090801/349605/

Edited by calwinston

I went to the PTC last month or so, and immediately loved it! It's a thing of beauty, but I went on a Saturday night around 9:30 and a lot of places were closing, so it looked bare. Being so empty, it almost looked like a movie set.

Still, I see a lot of potential for the project...it's almost worth the headache of driving from the Peninsula to the Southside! ;)

•City officials have spoken to Yaromir Steiner, founder and chief executive officer of Steiner+Associates, the project developer of the Peninsula Town Center, to brainstorm ideas for downtown.

•Old Point National Bank will have its Hampton Roads corporate headquarters in a new $8 million building in downtown.

•A new Circuit Court building costing up to $30 million is planned

Looks like talks are moving along and the city wants a formal proposal from Steiner+Associates! Workshops (public input) with the firm will probably start in July!

http://www.dailypres...0,2254796.story

Edited by calwinston