Hampton Development

rusthebuss

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dailypress.com/news/hampton/dp-nws-creative-phoebus-20100619,0,246141.story

Interesting little read... I know a few people involved in the group of LGBT young professionals trying to kickstart this. Good, intelligent, and hard-working group that has great ideas; I'd love to see them come to fruition. :)

And I've always thought that Phoebus had a lot of potential, and there are good bones in the community to build up from.

• 1 year later...
NASA awarded a $42 million contract to a Maryland company to build a new cafeteria and conference center at Langley Research Center in Hampton.

Construction of the facilities, which will be under the same roof, is expected to start this spring. NASA hopes to finish work in December 2013.

It is the second phase of New Town, NASA's $330 million plan to modernize Langley, which was founded in 1917 as aeronautics research laboratory. NASA absorbed Langley at the dawn of the space age in 1958.

Wyman said New Town, which includes demolishing dozens of facilities, will address the issue. The plan's first phase — a $26 million, 79,000-square-foot environmentally-friendly office building — opened last June.

The work was performed by The Whiting-Turner Contracting Co., Baltimore, the same outfit chosen to build the cafeteria and conference center. Whiting-Turner was the low bidder among 22 companies.

At 137,000-square-feet, plans include a 230-seat theater, a balcony for outdoor dining, a full kitchen and a television studio. NASA demolished four buildings — roughly 53,000-square-feet, mostly office space — to make way for the new building.

It is expected to replace the Pearl Young Theater, the Reid Conference Center and the existing cafeteria, a 65-year-old building that underwent $360,000 in renovations last decade. All three buildings are scheduled to be demolished, though NASA hasn't determined when, Wyman said.

The third phase of New Town is a 150,000-square-foot sciences laboratory expected to cost $93 million, he said. NASA leaders approved the laboratory but they have not allocated money to build it.

67365235.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

New mixed use development slated for near peninsula town center.

http://insidebiz.com/news/beach-hotel-firm-plans-mixed-use-project-hampton

“The vision is to create a mixed-use development that incorporates Pinewood Plaza and the Holiday Inn Express,” Jain said.

Plans for the 17.71 acres, at the intersection of Mercury Boulevard and I-64, are preliminary, but Jain said the idea is to build luxury apartments, destination retail and dining, and an upscale hotel.

Though he declined to give any specifics like square footage of the different uses or a construction timeline, Jain said the goal is to build as quickly as the market will allow. The city planning department has not received any formal project plans or proposals.

Jain cited neighboring revitalization projects when asked why the company chose Hampton for the development. He said Landmark hopes its project will spur other area improvements.

“We were very encouraged with the transformation taking place starting with Peninsula Town Center and the convention center,” Jain said. “That area will be the nucleus of Hampton for years to come.”

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
11 hours ago, vdogg said:

Looks like Hampton is about to go all in on High Rise development. Very cool. :)

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailypress.com/news/hampton/dp-nws-hampton-planning-0421-20170419-story,amp.html

Very vague, but encouraging nonetheless to see this. I'm not sure how viable it is to get to 5000 residents in Downtown Hampton anytime soon. But I think a good goal over the next 10-15 years or so would be to double the population downtown (let's round up and put the goal at 2500).

• Like 1

Norfolk just hit 5,000 a couple of years ago, with nearly double the population. I agree that 2,500 is more feasible. 

That said, I went to HU, so I know where they're thinking about developing. Would love to see something happen there. 

These master plans are typically very long term goals. No one is saying that Hampton will look like New York overnight, but a 20 to 30 story tower developed over the next 10 years I don't think is out of the question.

17 hours ago, vdogg said:

These master plans are typically very long term goals. No one is saying that Hampton will look like New York overnight, but a 20 to 30 story tower developed over the next 10 years I don't think is out of the question.

30 stories in Hampton is definitely a reach. Even 20 probably is as well. But I think a 15 story or so story tower could possibly garner enough demand. First I think a few more residents would need to call downtown home, leading to a few more establishments to make downtown Hampton a bit more desirable.

That would be a great move forward for Hampton, I always felt like it should be the urban city of the peninsula, even if it meant getting a bunch of 10-15 story buildings in its downtown with maybe a 20 story building or two.

If we are throwing out fantasy ideas, it would also be cool to see a streetcar system come to Hampton one day to connect its neighborhoods together with its downtown.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/14/2018 at 1:58 PM, 23320 said:

The City of Hampton is considering selling land in Downtown Hampton to developers.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/hampton/dp-nws-hampton-downtown-property-sales-20180611-story.html

That is potentially awesome news, I hope they go big because Hampton has a little downtown that would be perfect for a major urbanization.

• 6 months later...

Off-track betting is coming back to Hampton. It will be at the Power Plant. There will also be four additional off-track betting places located around the state.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/hampton/off-track-betting-venue-at-former-nascar-restaurant-gets-ok-from-hampton-council/1694680662

Edited by zeppelin14

• 4 months later...