POLL - Which Division and Fulton Development?

mgreven

Which one would you most likely see?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you most likely see?

• Robert Tol's plan (Staging for Park Place, then grocery store)
    • RSC & Associates' plan. (Jazz Club, Bookstore, condos)
    • James Azzar's plan. (Parking Garage)
    • Rockford and Design Plus's plan. (CVS and condos)
    • Division & Fulton's plan. (Office, Condos, Retail)

Good, They knocked out the two crappy proposals. It remains to be seen how the Fulton and Division project does (since they aren't showing their cards). Rockford will stay in it until the end as a gesture of goodwill, but if RSC & Associates has funding in place, I can't imagine them not getting the nod.

Joe

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I laughed when I read this. There is a brand new, beautifully built ramp 3 blocks down from the Children's Museum on Monroe Center with 60 minutes free parking and a indoor walkway that takes you right to the street level (and had a $7 max parking fee).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heh man if I knew that, I'd have taken more pictures downtown :P

I would have spent a little less then an hour and at most two :P

Parking structure needed

As much as developers want to lay claim to the corner of Fulton and Division, it is the wrong course of action to do anything other than construct a new parking structure.

Of course, developers want to build on it in a manner that will make them money. It won't be as profitable to put up a parking lot. But in the long run, a parking structure will be profitable for more people. It will help the merchants and restaurants near it. It will provide more parking for the arena, children's museum, public library and other things within walking distance.

I'm a mom and church librarian. I don't claim to have expertise in urban planning. But, common sense tells me if Grand Rapids wants to attract people downtown, good, safe and ample parking should be a priority.

SARAH ELZINGA/Grandville

Grandville...isn't that the place with that sprawling fancy new mall with circulation roads every which way, surrounded by retention ponds? You can't walk from the Meijer to anyplace else. And isn't that also the place where the high school student got killed trying to walk across the freeway, because there are no sidewalks?

Even moms and church librarians should get out of their cars now and then, and not just to drive to the next parking deck.

Sheesh.

--Veloise

downtown bicycle commuter, yep, all winter

"it is the wrong course of action to do anything other than construct a new parking structure"

oh, really? what I want to know is who lets these people near a keyboard. yes, grand rapids, drop everything and build a new parking structure - even though one was just demolished on the site.

it's a good thing people like that are a disappearing breed. or at least, a breed that lives increasingly far from the city.

Parking structure needed

As much as developers want to lay claim to the corner of Fulton and Division, it is the wrong course of action to do anything other than construct a new parking structure.

Of course, developers want to build on it in a manner that will make them money. It won't be as profitable to put up a parking lot. But in the long run, a parking structure will be profitable for more people. It will help the merchants and restaurants near it. It will provide more parking for the arena, children's museum, public library and other things within walking distance.

I'm a mom and church librarian. I don't claim to have expertise in urban planning. But, common sense tells me if Grand Rapids wants to attract people downtown, good, safe and ample parking should be a priority.

SARAH ELZINGA/Grandville

Grandville...isn't that the place with that sprawling fancy new mall with circulation roads every which way, surrounded by retention ponds? You can't walk from the Meijer to anyplace else. And isn't that also the place where the high school student got killed trying to walk across the freeway, because there are no sidewalks?

Even moms and church librarians should get out of their cars now and then, and not just to drive to the next parking deck.

Sheesh.

--Veloise

downtown bicycle commuter, yep, all winter

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

Archived