Question for fellow Winston-Salem folks

ncguy06

I've lived in Winston all of my life, and ive always noticed that on our local radio stations and tv stations they're always saying or showing things about Greensboro, now don't get me wrong I love Greensboro too! I Have relatives there and I go to Greensboro quite often. But it can get on my nerves because it almost seems like they forget that Winston is part of the triad. For example, on certain radio stations they're slogan will be something like " Greensboro's # 1 station" And I know that they might be based in Greensboro but still.... I sometimes wan't to call them up and say " Did you forget about the half of the triad that lives in the Winston Area" Have any of you noticed this or is it just me?

Greensboro could say the same thing about WXII channel 12.....they are always showing Winston, and some their backdrops are the Winston Skyline

Seriously I have nothing at all against Greensboro, this is just something ive always noticed.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is just the way the TV market is. WFMY has historically been in Greensboro and WXII has historically been in W-S.. I think High Point's WGHP is best about covering the entire Triad area. Yeah each station can learn something from eachother about coverage, but greensboro viewers turn to WFMY more and w-s viewers turn to WXII more, since the Triad is so close together. I'm sure it's the same in Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville TV market and Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville market. Take G-S-A for example, WLOS-13 in Asheville only focuses on Western NC news, and Greenville's WYFF and Spartanburg's WSPA focus on upstate South Carolina news... and that's just how the market has been historically.

Now, the Charlotte market is different since all 3 stations are based in the same city in the market... and it's known as the Charlotte market and not Charlotte-City-City market...

Actually, Channel 8 in High Point was originally channel 26, WTOB-TV in Winston-Salem, but not everyone had the special antenna for UHF back then, and so... Of course, today channel 26 is WFDD, the PBS at Wake Forest. And, don't forget WXLV ABC TV in Winston-Salem. There's also WUPN, which originally was in Greensboro, but was bought by Myer Broadcasting owner of WXLV, so both are in W-S now.

yea that gets on my nerves a little. 102 does Winston justice and so does the beat. all 4 tv stations pimp the W-S skyline as their backdrop and provide good Greensboro coverage. In general, its portrayed as the skyline that represents the triad. News Central, WGHP and WXII rep W-S well. WFMY is getting better than it used to be.

A little off subject, but i still think its crazy that Greensboro's newspaper isnt sold in W-S and vice versa.

t is just the way the TV market is. WFMY has historically been in Greensboro and WXII has historically been in W-S.. I think High Point's WGHP is best about covering the entire Triad area. Yeah each station can learn something from eachother about coverage, but greensboro viewers turn to WFMY more and w-s viewers turn to WXII more, since the Triad is so close together. I'm sure it's the same in Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville TV market and Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville market. Take G-S-A for example, WLOS-13 in Asheville only focuses on Western NC news, and Greenville's WYFF and Spartanburg's WSPA focus on upstate South Carolina news... and that's just how the market has been historically.
Indeed. GSP and Asheville are in the same media market. Our TV and radio stations play the same ads for all cities. Usually I can listen to the same stations on the radio while I'm in Asheville or Spartanburg. WLOS out of Asheville is much more concentrated on Western NC news, but they do cover the Upstate some. WLOS is our only ABC station, so if we want to watch something on ABC, we have to tune in there. The opposite is true about our other 3 news stations (WYFF, WSPA, and WHNS). WSPA even operates a newsroom in Toccoa, GA (WNEG) to provide local news for the NE Georgia Folks that live in the Upstate's TV Market.

A similarity is that our radio stations tend to be focused around Greenville. Even though most of the people live outside of Greenville, it still gets the glory for being the largest city. I assume the same is true for Greensboro. It has traditionally been the larger city I assume, so it gets more of the glory so to speak.

With radio it's different because some stations can broadcast way farther out than the markets they advertise for. Rock 92 can be heard realitively clearly as far south as Charlotte and pretty far in all other directions, yet they just say "Greensboro, Asheboro" in their station I.D.

Archived