Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

MetroWest is incredibly hot... The Stonebridge townhomes were intially selling at $180K and are now at $260K one year later resale value. Many investors bought in that community and are trying to rent out. With interest rates as low as they still are, this is difficult, but the interest rates are slowly increasing and that will make the rental market hotter.

The Promanade is coming along. The first building is expected to close at the end of May and the second at the end of July--- last I heard....

They are all nested along Hiawasee Road. MetroWest are same as Winter Park, one of the more urban neighbourhood in metro Orlando. Metrowest is getting expensive. If I have to choose between Winter Park and Metrowest, I will choose Metrowest.  Both area are close to downtown but Metrowest is also close to the attraction areas and huge mall. When the entire town center are built, the price of the condo will become outrages. The town center built in metrowest have store at gorund level with condo on the second and third level. This is different from Winter Park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I prefer MetroWest as well... but I like new construction and the closeness to the golf course

Metrowest is now called Veranda Park (DRI and all). The developer of Metrowest has sold, and the entire area (including the directional signs) will be re-done to say Veranda Park, in order to direct people to the "town center" at Veranda Park. I suspect that the southwest section of the city will still be called Metrowest.

Metrowest is now called Veranda Park (DRI and all).  The developer of Metrowest has sold, and the entire area (including the directional signs) will be re-done to say Veranda Park, in order to direct people to the "town center" at Veranda Park.  I suspect that the southwest section of the city will still be called Metrowest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's news to me. Where did you hear this? Are they changing the name of the golf course as well?

I live in Atlanta, so I don't get home to Orlando much. I was down this past week and was impressed with the new skyscraper in Altamonte Springs. It reminds me of Atlanta, where the Northern Sububurbs have Skylines of their own. The skeleton of the builing looks to be done. By my calcs if it was in downtown Orlando it would be the 4th tallest building (not counting any of the towers currently under development) pretty impressive.

Anyone know when the residential/retail/theater portion of Veranda Park will get underway? It seems like they are only putting up the office buildings currently........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live right around the corner from there and drive by every so often. There seems to be one building up and then behind it they have begun construction on "something". It's just too early for me to tell what exactly that something is yet.

That construction fence has been there since I moved in this past August but I think they're just moving dirt around in that part of the project.

I live in Atlanta, so I don't get home to Orlando much.  I was down this past week and was impressed with the new skyscraper in Altamonte Springs.  It reminds me of Atlanta, where the Northern Sububurbs have Skylines of their own.  The skeleton of the builing looks to be done.  By my calcs if it was in downtown Orlando it would be the 4th tallest building (not counting any of the towers currently under development) pretty impressive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't call it a "new skyscraper" LOL The skeleton of that building has looked done for years! They're paying for it as they go (which doesn't seem too smart in my opinion, as it seems that over time construction prices would go up, so why not take out a loan and do it all at once?)

I've driven past it so much that I don't notice it anymore. BUT - it looks 10X better with the glass up...hopefully they'll get it covered in glass soon.

GlobeSt.com UPDATE: Altamonte Springs Monitors $300M of New Projects

By Alex Finkelstein

Last updated: March 31, 2005 01:54pm

ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL-This Orlando suburb of 42,000 permanent residents is seeing the beginning of its first formal Downtown core as construction is under way on the $200-million, 25-acre Altamonte Town Center and on new phases of the adjoining $100-million, 55-acre CenterPointe on the Park.

When built out in seven to 10 years, project developers and the City of Altamonte Springs estimate the two undertakings will have about 2.5 million sf of class A office space, an estimated 1,000 condominium units, 500 hotel rooms and at least 500,000 sf of retail. The enterprise is seven miles north of Downtown Orlando.

Atlanta developers James F. Jacoby and Michael B. Vlass are creating the Town Center through their Altamonte Springs Investments LLC company. Emerson International Inc., the US division of Manchester-based Emerson Group, is developing CenterPointe on the Park on the shores of Cranes Roost Lake. The Town Center will be west of the 1.3-million-sf Altamonte Mall; CenterPointe will be north of the mall.

About 300,000 sf of office and restaurant space already has been completed at CenterPointe. Emerson and a joint venture partner also plan a 350-room, $50-million hotel component. Altamonte Springs city manager Phil Penland couldn't be reached for comment on the progress of the two undertakings but previously told GlobeSt.com the city's motivation behind the ventures is to create a live-work-shop-play ambience Downtown.

"We want to be able to tell corporations thinking of relocating to Central Florida that Altamonte Springs can offer them a full-service community where their employees can live, shop and be entertained in class A style without leaving the area or even using their cars," a city staffer tells GlobeSt.com.

Like Atlantic Station in Atlanta, the Altamonte Town Center is a redevelopment of the former 14.5-acre North Lake Plaza. The project has been planned for the past three years.

Area retail brokers tell GlobeSt.com Town Center merchants are expected to attract immediate foot traffic from the adjacent Altamonte Mall which is owned and managed by Chicago-based General Growth Development Co. Town Center is being constructed between the Altamonte Mall and Interstate 4, one of the heaviest traveled arteries in Central Florida.

• 4 weeks later...

orl_parkplace.jpg

Trammell Crow Breaks Ground on Park Place

By Alex Finkelstein

WINTER PARK, FL-Park Avenue, the retail showplace of this affluent Orlando suburb for 65 years, is getting a new icon in Park Place, a planned 50,000-sf retail and office structure at 329 Park Ave. North. The three-story structure will house 36,000 sf of office on the top two floors and 14,000 sf of retail at the street level.

The site has been cleared and building foundations have been poured. The project is scheduled for completion in December. Trammell Crow Co. is developing the three-story building on a fast track and at a hard construction cost of $10 million or about $200 per sf.

The building will be owned by the Elizabeth Morse Genius Foundation, a locally based landmark philanthropic organization in Central Florida. The Foundation is also building a 269-space parking garage adjacent to Park Place.

For full article:

http://www.globest.com/news/275_275/orlando/133727-1.html

I found this googling from this site:

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2005_1s...doBallroom.html

The 2000-room Orlando World Center Marriott Resort and Convention

Center Expanding to over 400,000 square-feet of Meeting Space;

Will be One of the Largest Convention Facilities in the United States

ORLANDO, Fla., January 12, 2005

Edited by firemick

I just thought this was cool enough to share:

Orlando Business Journal:

Winter Park adds free valet parking on Park Avenue

The city of Winter Park, working with the Winter Park Chamber of Commerce, now offers complimentary valet parking for Park Avenue's retail shops beginning May 15.

The parking service will be available from 8:30 a.m. until 11 p.m., Mondays through Saturdays, and noon until 1 p.m. on Sundays.

One parking station will be located at Canton Avenue, east of Park Avenue, and the other on New England Avenue, west of Park.

"Valet parking is the missing piece to the parking options in downtown Winter Park," says chamber President Sam Stark in a prepared statement. " This makes Park Avenue a much more desirable shopping and dining venue than the malls."

A new signage plan is being developed throughout the summer to direct visitors to the parking service locations and various other public parking options.

For information, go to (www.cityoffwinterpark.org).

• 2 weeks later...

More Winter Park NIMBYism:

Some dislike plans for more Winter Park Village condos

By Christopher Sherman | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted May 19, 2005

WINTER PARK -- Winter Park Village -- the successful experiment in retail and entertainment -- may soon get more than 200 condominiums to complete the village concept.

Developer Casto Lifestyle Properties unveiled plans for the next phase Wednesday to about 150 residents at the Rachel D. Murrah Civic Center.

The reception was cool, with concerns focused on the four-story height, the density of multifamily buildings, and the impact on traffic and city services.

"Winter Park is going to turn into a four-story condo community," said Mary Randall, who lives about four blocks south of Winter Park Village.

Lurline Fletcher, whose mother lives in the neighborhood of single-family residences across Denning Drive from where the proposed condos would be built, worried that the proposal would not mesh with the existing neighborhood.

Read More