Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

I think (thing) some of us idiots are being just a little too sensitive. Jaybee is a trusted contributor to this forum ... so cut our friend some slack. There are times I think a lot of you are idiots but I value your opinions (sometimes) and I'm sure I come off as an idiot from time to time (maybe all that time). Who friggin' cares?

So keep 'em coming Jaybee; and you too Camillo.

Cheers,

Idiot

Read an article in a recent South Florida Business Journal recently which stated that the FAA had no authority to prohibit projects that it deemed hazardous. And the implication was that local governments might choose or not choose to enforce FAA recommendations.

Edited by Dale

Apologies to all for calling you idiots - it was meant in jest - and I'm the idiot in the end. There is a fine line between being an enthusiast and reality. I just want to bring you into reality for a few moments.

I'm just trying to relay my experience, when I have tried to actually hire FAA consultants in the past to modify downtown "height limits". However, unless the Executive Airport is willing to move a runway or is willing to close down the approach on one of them (both unlikely in the immediate future, since the approach in the opposite direction interfere's with the operations of MCO), my guess is that you won't be seeing a change in the way the FAA determine "no hazards" in Orlando, nor the way the City/GOAA reviews tall structures.

Apologies to all for calling you idiots - it was meant in jest - and I'm the idiot in the end.  There is a fine line between being an enthusiast and reality.  I just want to bring you into reality for a few moments. 

I'm just trying to relay my experience, when I have tried to actually hire FAA consultants in the past to modify downtown "height limits".  However, unless the Executive Airport is willing to move a runway or is willing to close down the approach on one of them (both unlikely in the immediate future, since the approach in the opposite direction interfere's with the operations of MCO), my guess is that you won't be seeing a change in the way the FAA determine "no hazards" in Orlando, nor the way the City/GOAA reviews tall structures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does get a bit heated on here at times, but it is fun to chat with people who have similar passions. I've posted this beofre but it might hahve some interest for some of you. This is a response I received from Buddy Dyer awhile back when inquiring about the height limit:

"First, I would like to thank you for your positive feedback about development in downtown. I understand your concerns about the possibility of a homogeneous looking skyline.

The FAA does not actually set a limit for the buildings in downtown. However, they do make advisories about possible unsafe obstructions. It is ultimately the decision of the local joint airport zoning boards for OIA and the Executive Airport.

City staff is studying ways to allow for taller structures however this may require modifications of landing procedures at the Orlando Executive Airport.

As these studies progress I will keep citizens informed. Thank you for your inquiry and I hope I was able to answer your questions.

Sincerely,

Buddy Dyer

Mayor "

Apologies to all for calling you idiots - it was meant in jest - and I'm the idiot in the end.  There is a fine line between being an enthusiast and reality.  I just want to bring you into reality for a few moments. 

I'm just trying to relay my experience, when I have tried to actually hire FAA consultants in the past to modify downtown "height limits".  However, unless the Executive Airport is willing to move a runway or is willing to close down the approach on one of them (both unlikely in the immediate future, since the approach in the opposite direction interfere's with the operations of MCO), my guess is that you won't be seeing a change in the way the FAA determine "no hazards" in Orlando, nor the way the City/GOAA reviews tall structures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trying to bring us into reality ? Look, I'm happy to accept your Voice of God status on this forum. I'm just not sure, as of yet, that you are the Omniscient Voice of God. ;)

But let's imagine for the moment that you are. What will happen when EA anounces its plans to build a 475 footer ? Or more realistically, when RHS gets ready to build its 450 footer ?

Certainly I'm not the omnicient VOG or SMOG. Here's an interesting map for you all to digest, showing the approach vector for the executive airport's runways that is limiting the height, and you can also see the first part of the "bowl" - you'll notice the area for Downtown in the upper right with the red stuff.

DowntownApproach.jpg

Edited by Jaybee

Certainly I'm not the omnicient  VOG or SMOG.  Here's an interesting map for you all to digest, showing the approach vector for the executive airport's runways that is limiting the height, and you can also see the first part of the "bowl" - you'll notice the area for Downtown in the upper right with the red stuff.

DowntownApproach.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it looks like the kind of thing any schmoe could get an NEA grant for. What I'd like to know is what's likely to happen when anyone announces their intentions to build higher than Suntrust, which, apparently some already have.

Well, if you look really really close, you'll notice that the Orlando City Place is not penetrating the "bowl", and isn't in the approach vector.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never mind that the location of city Place on the map is not evident to me, are you suggesting that there are areas of the CBD where we can go higher than Suntrust ? And if so, which areas ?

It's difficult to read, but I think the text near the outermost ring reads 400 AMSL (Above Mean Sea Level), with the text on the west side of I-4 in downtown reads 700 AMSL. So perhaps the CBD will be limited in respect to height to the peak of the SunTrust tower for some time, while developments to the west of I-4 might be able be somewhat taller (i.e. Orlando City Place).

The "reality" of the situation is that if many other sources have confirmed that the FAA does not indeed lawfully have the right to impose these restrictions on Orlando, then I will believe that for now. No offense Jaybee, but considering Mayor Dyer's knowledge and emphasis on downtown Orlando, I am led to believe that he is informed on the issue and wouldn't make false claims just because.

Never refuted Buddy's statement, as you can see he and I have the same conclusion... if operations change at the Executive Airport, there might be a chance to change/modify the height limit.

That's a political question that is beyond me at the moment. The funny thing is that I've actually heard of people inquiring about buying the Executive Airport just to go taller in Downtown Orlando - much taller.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming projects

FaulknerUSA, the Austin, Texas-based developer currently vying for a deal to develop Kissimmee's lakeside park, plans to become a permanent Florida fixture.

The company already has a deal to develop a 216-unit, 22-story hotel condo in Panama City and is negotiating for another hotel condo project in an as-yet unnamed location. "We want to develop a base here in Central Florida," says Terri Dusek, the company's spokeswoman. "We plan to eventually locate an office here."

Source - Orlando Business Journal

Edited by bic

• 2 weeks later...

a few updates:

Lake Buena Vista Resort & Spa: Bldg#1 is topped off

Blue Heron: Bldg#1 is topped off

Wellesley: is on 4th or 5th level

Emerson Plaza: Bldg#1 is starting to rise

Vue: site work still

Jackson: nearly topped off

Regent Residences: topped off and exterior work

Vista Cay: (on Universal east of OCCC) site work underway and 1st bldg built.

Shingle Creek: superstructure (hotel & CC) more than halfway erected-- very fast.

Plaza: 3rd level above theatre level almost done

from what I know, that location is good-- except once shingle creek is up and running, there will be much busing to the occc for big trade shows and I think there's another project slated for across univ. blvd. also. good locale- but it will be really busy next year.

After attending the community meeting today for the Dellagio proposal in Dr. Phillips, it seems pretty likely that the project will go through as long as the commisioners approve. Despite being bombarded by some NIMBY's, the overall consensus was positive at the end of the meeting. If all goes well, construction would begin in the first quarter of '06 and be completed in 12 months.

On Sand Lake Road between Della Drive and Turkey Lake Road, on the vacant site in the center of this picture:

dellagiosite1dh.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i see Sand Lake Rd and Della Drive, but that location is about a mile or so to the West of Turkey Lake Rd (which runs roughly parallel to I-4 through the Dr Phillips area)