Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

13 hours ago, orange87 said:

I really wish I could believe him, but we've heard it a million times. I'll believe it when I actually see construction.

Also, I wonder how structurally safe that building is now, now that it's been unfinished and exposed to the elements for so many years.

Edit: They're saying construction of the Majesty Building has resumed. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes.  I have seen workers on the garage portion on Tuesday.  Whether they keep working there remains to be seen.   Bear in mind he said Jan 23.  I like to believe its Jan 23rd 2020.

14 hours ago, orange87 said:

I really wish I could believe him, but we've heard it a million times. I'll believe it when I actually see construction.

Also, I wonder how structurally safe that building is now, now that it's been unfinished and exposed to the elements for so many years.

Edit: They're saying construction of the Majesty Building has resumed. Can anyone confirm this?

I do see workers there often, mostly working on the parking podium of the building, not really on the actual tower portion. It looks like the majority of the structure is there for the west wing of the podium. I took some pictures back in July - the east wing of the podium at that time it was little more than rows of concrete columns. I wonder how far along it has gone in three months.

7 hours ago, metal93 said:

I do see workers there often, mostly working on the parking podium of the building, not really on the actual tower portion. It looks like the majority of the structure is there for the west wing of the podium. I took some pictures back in July - the east wing of the podium at that time it was little more than rows of concrete columns. I wonder how far along it has gone in three months.

That's reassuring, but they make money when they run their programs asking people to donate, which makes me think that they won't be done with it EVER.

18 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Concrete is forever.

Diamonds Are Forever

Orange County Commissioner Bryan Nelson is already trying to spur development that was wisely kept out of a landmark deal to preserve the environmentally sensitive Wekiva River watershed when the agreement to build the Wekiva Parkway was reached. The road's not even completed and he's already trying to let sprawl rule the day. 

Thankfully, the Sentinel is sounding the alarm with this editorial:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-ed-wekiva-parkway-interchange-20171013-story.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking NE from the Plaza, there is a tower crane at the horizon.  It looks to be east of Winter Park and north of not only way north of Orlando Fashion Square, but north of Baldwin Park and the VA bldg there, and north of a lower rise tower off of Glenridge & Lakemont.  I don't think it's at Lakemont & Aloma; I'm not sure.  Is Winter Park Hospital expanding? Anyone know what it is?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-16/u-s-air-force-general-endorses-elon-musk-s-reusable-rockets?cmpid=socialflow-facebook-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

The Air Force seems to have taken a liking to Elon Musk's reusable rockets. This bodes well for both SpaceX and CCAFS, both of which have launch facilities in Brevard County. 

There are only a few places in the world with launch capability and we're one of them. That, in turn, amps up our tech abilities at UCF, FIT  and hiring throughout the region (the third leg of the stool of  central Florida's economy.)

From Bloomberg

• Like 3

On 8/29/2017 at 11:09 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

Demetree finally getting the ball rolling on redeveloping up to 48 acres across from UCF. When we were looking in 2015 at one of their spots they added redevelopment clause and we found another spot when that was added as this was clearly happening. Not sure who owns the dumpy old gas station lot but if that gets done too this will be huge for that area.

Demetree is planning to turn the stretch of strip shopping centers on Collegiate Way into a new retail, restaurant, and student housing complex. It would have about 50,000 square feet of new retail, in addition to the 90,000 square feet already there.

A student housing tower could add apartments and studios for up to 1,400 students, Heatherly said.

gs-demetree-global-land-redevelopment-ne

So I drove by this yesterday and it looks like the old Chevron is finally getting built into something.  Unfortunately its a suburban style Chase bank Branch.   I know there was a WaMu in the Publix Plaza up the road, but that didn't become Chase after the financial crisis.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, codypet said:

So I drove by this yesterday and it looks like the old Chevron is finally getting built into something.  Unfortunately its a suburban style Chase bank Branch.   I know there was a WaMu in the Publix Plaza up the road, but that didn't become Chase after the financial crisis.  

That reminds me of how we were just literally days from the opening of a WaMu branch at The Paramount on Central when WaMu crashed and burned. Chase promptly canceled the branch and it was a couple of years before we got a branch at Chase Plaza on Orange. It's still not as convenient to us Thornton Park folks, but life goes on .

18 hours ago, Jernigan said:

An interesting element of the Curry Ford/Bumby projects was the conversion of a Mobil station into a throwback full service fuel station.

I was surprised to see the "now open" signs up with no other noticeable changes.   

IMG_4240.JPG

I live in the neighborhood and I worry this won't be sustainable without a major announcement that they're open.  Two of the 3 pumps are not functioning with plastic bags on the pump, and the attendant house is around the corner of the building.  Irma destroyed the price sign so you don't know its open, and the former food mart hasn't been turned into the sandwhich shop yet and the windows are still papered over.  Other than those little signs on that crash bar, there's no indication they're open.

18 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I'm worried that the developer has their standards this low in general.    I wouldn't put a "now open" sign on that mess.   Is it even meeting code without the prices displayed?  I know Orlando did something to reign in the airport stations 

I think the city simply isn't enforcing it due to Irma, but they should get back on it in the coming months.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2017 at 7:38 PM, Jernigan said:

I'm worried that the developer has their standards this low in general.    I wouldn't put a "now open" sign on that mess.   Is it even meeting code without the prices displayed?  I know Orlando did something to reign in the airport stations 

That ordinance is limited to within 5 miles of the airport.  There's a Citgo at Underhill and 436 that hasn't displayed its prices in nearly a decade.

I seriously doubt the owners of this particular store are engaged in price gouging. Why would they do that when there's a 7 Eleven right across the street and a Wawa a block east of them? Pretty obvious that they remain open while renovations are underway in hopes of taking in a little bit of extra money.

Can't hold that against them.

Besides, I'm fairly certain the price per gallon is right there on the pump, so nobody is being coerced into over paying like they are right outside the airport.

9 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I seriously doubt the owners of this particular store are engaged in price gouging. Why would they do that when there's a 7 Eleven right across the street and a Wawa a block east of them? Pretty obvious that they remain open while renovations are underway in hopes of taking in a little bit of extra money.

Can't hold that against them.

Besides, I'm fairly certain the price per gallon is right there on the pump, so nobody is being coerced into over paying like they are right outside the airport.

I'm frequently amazed at how some stations are shamelessly out of line with current prices, though. The Chevron at Kirkman and I-Drive ALWAYS charges about 30c/ gallon more than the 7-Eleven at the next intersection on Kirkman, and if you travel east on I-Drive the difference is often greater.

Even stranger, I see people filling up there. I suppose they don't bother to check. 

That may have no bearing on the Curry Ford case but it amazes me.

39 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

I wasn't concerned about their pricing - just shocked that they'd open up so tattered and worn since they so far have been pushing a brand for the district 

I dunno. I think most people who stop in or drive by understand that these are small business people struggling to stay afloat and if they can take in a little bit of revenue each day while the construction is going on, more power to them. Once the work is finished everyone will have forgotten the construction mess. 

I hope the yellow building next door that used to be Hungry Howie's becomes a casual little eating establishment once again.