Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

8 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Agreed - they didn't really let the smoke shop happen...there just wasn't' significant enough work done to the gas station to make them conform to any newer codes.

Interesting about the Hourglass extending to Conway Gardens.  Obviously "says who?" comes to mind.  But if I was the developer, I would stick to a nice dense area between Crystal Lake and Bumby.   Otherwise, he's inheriting a fair amount of blight just to claim Pizza Bruno LOL

And Zaza.

2 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

I wonder if folks aren't starting to get the Hourglass "District" confused with the Curry Ford West Main Street district (which is technically aiming for Market Street status, not Main Street). CFW will run from the beginning of the commercial district near the Bel Air neighborhood on Curry Ford to the west all the way to the Piper's/Cafe Madrid shopping center on the east side of Conway to the east.

The Hourglass developers have only bought properties around the Bumby/CF intersection AFAIK.

This is a good example of bad timing since both the Main Street District and the Hourglass people made their plans known publicly within months of each other.

There was an article a few days ago about the Hourglass District people trying to trademark the name.  I suspect because the Curry Ford West people were still looking to settle on the name.  A few months ago Curry Ford West was just a temporary name.   The reason I referred to Conway Gardens Road is initially that was going to be the limits of the road diet study that's supposed to happen next month.   I believe those limits have been rolled back to Crystal Lake Dr. now.  I believe if they decided to permanently road diet Curry Ford, that will effectively be the spiritual limits of whatever the district ultimately calls itself.

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

They are also building a freestanding Aldi on Curry Ford @ Dean Rd.  At least the sign in front of the closed 5/3 Bank says so.  There are tons of them around the country that are all alone.  I grew up with Aldi in the Midwest and I'd never seen on that wasn't freestanding until I came here, so it works both ways.

Same with Chick-fil-A.  I'd never seen one that wasn't in a mall food court!  I was floored when there was one just standing out like a normal fast food joint.  That was in the late 90s and there are now freestanding ones in my old hometown, but at the time it was a novelty.

The first time I ever saw a free standing Chick-fil-A was in Atlanta around the early 90's. We were all surprised to see it, but it wasn't too many years later, they started appearing around here.

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

That is the tree...

Next time I go in there, if I see the manager I'm going to ask him about it and put in my worthless two cents. If the tree is even still there by that time.

46 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I can only think of the Aldi in WG that is inline. Most of them are free standing units. I don't think they would take the WD space unless someone takes a huge chunk of it and even then probably cheaper for them to build a new building that divide up this space and gut it.

There's a bunch of Aldi's that are inline.  And when they've taken over Winn Dixie, they usually split the baby with something like DD's or Dollar General.  It really is if the opportunity presents itself as far as available retail space.  Like this former Gold's Gym

image.thumb.png.1623513220b669c203e3474666214de7.png

Or this former Winn Dixie

image.png.bda07ee61b1f8d9574009d2266adb860.png

Or this other former Winn Dixie

image.png.4eea82301d21a2fadcda8784b751d1b9.png

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

The first time I ever saw a free standing Chick-fil-A was in Atlanta around the early 90's. We were all surprised to see it, but it wasn't too many years later, they started appearing around here.

Next time I go in there, if I see the manager I'm going to ask him about it and put in my worthless two cents. If the tree is even still there by that time.

image.thumb.png.abde3897138c28262c5e763191e71f63.png

First stand alone CFA I saw was in Lake Mary and it was a Checkers style double drive thru like the one on 436.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Tell them to get rid of half of the parkings and make it into a park

Have you ever tried to park in that lot?  I go there all the time to Theo's, JJ's, La Fiesta, Ocean Sun, and Rogue.  That parking lot is a hot mess of WAY TOO FULL.  I get it that it's way cooler to say it should be a park, but if that parking lot was 1/8 smaller you really could never find a spot.

10 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Have you ever tried to park in that lot?  I go there all the time to Theo's, JJ's, La Fiesta, Ocean Sun, and Rogue.  That parking lot is a hot mess of WAY TOO FULL.  I get it that it's way cooler to say it should be a park, but if that parking lot was 1/8 smaller you really could never find a spot.

I just want them to keep the existing trees.

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I know for a while the owner of the Winn Dixie Plaza was trying to buy the Family Dollar Plaza.  Technically when you talk about parking, you COULD count the Family dollar lot.  (If you're heading to JJ's Family Dollars lot might actually be closer)  I get what you're saying though.  Going to Ocean Sun may mean parking in front of Theos.  

7 hours ago, codypet said:

I know for a while the owner of the Winn Dixie Plaza was trying to buy the Family Dollar Plaza.  Technically when you talk about parking, you COULD count the Family dollar lot.  (If you're heading to JJ's Family Dollars lot might actually be closer)  I get what you're saying though.  Going to Ocean Sun may mean parking in front of Theos.  

Maybe that's what the tree cutting conversation was about. Maybe they're talking about consolidating the two parking lots for Winn Dixie and Family Dollar, and taking down that old tree and the grass strip that separates them.

wdfdtree.png

I wouldn't mind that tree getting cut down so much.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I haven't been to any of those parts of town in years.

I just found out last week that there's a Walmart Super Center on OBT around Oak Ridge Rd that's been there for around five or six years. And I only live five miles from there!!!! :o

Like the old song says "Don't Get Around Much Anymore". :D

oh the ghetto neighborhood Walmart? yeah its been there for years  lmao

everything i have to do in this city pulls me in all directions so i guess im more exposed to what happens past my neighborhood (this forum has helped a lot in that too)

3 hours ago, W7edwin said:

oh the ghetto neighborhood Walmart? yeah its been there for years  lmao

everything i have to do in this city pulls me in all directions so i guess im more exposed to what happens past my neighborhood (this forum has helped a lot in that too)

Last Saturday I shopped there for the first time ever... :unsure:

Wasn't as bad as I was thinking it might be, though it's kinda small as far as Super Centers go.

Still, I can't believe I didn't know it was there!!! :blink:

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2018 at 2:50 PM, sunshine said:

Well, the other day when I was in the Winn Dixie, there were a group of well dressed gentlement that are probably higher up of the store, I overheard them talking about cutting tree at the parking lot.  I didnt say anything but in my mind, I wanted to tell him please dont cut any tree.

LOL....anti climatic story...

I think I have good news to report on the WD tree front.

I was just in there about an hour ago. Saw one of the managers who's been there for years and asked him about it. He said he hadn't heard anything about it and didn't think the city would allow them to be cut down anyway.

Hopefully he's right. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

So, CNA moved from maitland to this new building in Lake Mary by Colonial Town Park.  You can see it from I-4.  Hmmm, a parallel move.  So much for any kind of incentives or what have you to get them to move downtown.  About ten years ago, The Travelers moved from the Gateway Center to Baldwyn Park.

os-cfb-real-estate-cna-20170407.jpg

22 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Amazing how much CNA moves around. They were in the CNA Tower downtown (now Citrus Center), then OCP, then Maitland Center and now Lake Mary. They seem to just like to move.

What was OCP?  I ask because I remember around '97 they were off Semoran near Hanging Moss Rd. I think.

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

What was OCP?  I ask because I remember around '97 they were off Semoran near Hanging Moss Rd. I think.

That would be yet another location. OCP is Orlando Central Park. I used to see their big sign on a building next door to the Sun Bank there sitting in the drive-in line (wow, hard to remember that was a thing - haven't done that in ages.)

6 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That would be yet another location. OCP is Orlando Central Park. I used to see their big sign on a building next door to the Sun Bank there sitting in the drive-in line (wow, hard to remember that was a thing - haven't done that in ages.)

I think I know where you mean.  There's like an old bank on that property fronting OBT with those copper-like tinted glass windows, right?  Maybe the old Sunbank or am I thinking of something else?