Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

YMCA is on as partner for the Regional Park/Amenities area of the Packing District development. They have plan out for park and 41,404 SF Regional YMCA Gym/Wellness Center on the park parcel off of Princeton just east of JY Parkway. It also includes outdoor activity areas, plaza and pools/kiddie/splash pool area. 

This thing looks like the Taj Mahal of YMCAs in the area:

10.4.18 YMCA RFP PPS_Page_4.png10.4.18 YMCA RFP PPS_Page_3.png

10.4.18 YMCA RFP PPS_Page_2.png

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

This makes sense for a couple of reasons:

• The current exec at the Y observed our facilities were a little lacking when he interviewed a couple of years back;

• DP is the prime patron for the CF Y (heck, their name's on the door).

Put that together and here's a chance for the prime movers and shakers at the Y to strut their stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

This makes sense for a couple of reasons:

• The current exec at the Y observed our facilities were a little lacking when he interviewed a couple of years back;

• DP is the prime patron for the CF Y (heck, their name's on the door).

Put that together and here's a chance for the prime movers and shakers at the Y to strut their stuff.

Looks great!

On 10/17/2018 at 10:29 AM, sunshine said:

http://sandlakestationorlando.com/

The layout leaves much to be desired. It is a very suburban, self contained layout that can be in anywhere but a TOD. There should not be any parking fronting Orange Ave.  Even so, I wish the city/county would grid the road and required them to be a more urban version of this. Short sighted plan if the county approves this.

image.thumb.png.8e8fcd7552893cc6bb68f3083ac9c510.png

I agree.  I thought the City/County had TOD based overlay design requirements for areas near all the stations.

A four-story senior apartment complex is being proposed at the former Silver Pines Center (possibly the most poorly designed shopping plaza in OC from its inception in the early '70's) in Pine Hills. It would go a long way in helping to revitalize the Pine Hills Rd/Silver Star intersection if it happens.

Senior housing project in Pine Hills may anchor new town center, offer low rent, high hopes
http://bit.ly/2PD2we1

From the Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Local developer Mark Kinchla is trying to obtain a permit to move a 2,900-square-foot house through Lake Eola Heights this Sunday.

The house will travel from a lot on Broadway Street, where it's been since 1921, to it's new spot on Livingston Street.

Kinchla is making room for the Fountain Vu 5 townhomes.

He plans to live in the house once it's settled in its new spot a few blocks away.

All of the electrical services on the poles will need to be disconnected before they go underneath. Then after they pass one, they'll reconnect it and go to the next one etc.

Kinchla said the home's current spot was carved out of the historic district so saving it wasn't required.

He is the same developer who transformed the Pentecostal church nearby into luxury townhomes.

The move is expected to take three hours. Kinchla said it will be safe and a spectacle he hopes the community will come out to watch.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/developer-plans-to-move-house-through-lake-eola-heights-neighborhood/878950591

housemove1.jpg

housemove3.jpg

housemove5.jpg

Maybe someone can talk him into relocating the tree on the Zoi House lot....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This isn't a project, but involves a large brokerage firm in Lake Mary. AssuredPartners Inc. headquartered in Lake Mary, acquired three insurance agencies in Connecticut. Founded in March 2011, AssuredPartners has more than $1.1 billion in annualized revenue and over 170 offices in the U.S. and London. It's one of the fastest-growing and largest independent insurance agency in the U.S.

Edited by orange87

1 hour ago, VWguy97 said:

Too funny! I've followed this forum since Tradition Towers and enjoyed everyone's discussion but never had a need to post.  Myself and a family member used to work for Assured Partners and I remember at one point last year they were considering a move to downtown but the rates ended up being too much. Always thought it would've been cool to see their logo somewhere downtown! Glad to finally be apart of the community!

Glad to have you with us at last - keep on posting!

• Thanks 1

Went seven pages deep in topics and couldn't find a more appropriate thread so...

The two-story Starbucks at Florida Mall has been closed. No great loss I suppose, particularly considering that there are still three more Starbucks inside the mall, but I would have thought they would close down one of the smaller stores before closing the signature location.   

This two-story store was by far the most interesting feature of the original Florida Mall food court, if not the entire mall, save the hotel. But just the idea of sitting in the second floor of a coffee shop and looking out over the inside of the mall seemed very urban and interesting for Orlando twenty-five years ago. It seemed very consonant with the various kinds of urban vignettes you would find inside the theme parks.

foot-court-exterior.jpg

Edited by Camillo Sitte
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Barnie's sold most of their locations to Starbucks in ~2006.

Sadly...

It was cool having a relatively successful local business. Not that that’s rare these days, Tiquana Flats and Jeremiah’s Italian Ice are still out there along with a bunch of others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know the garages being built attached to  the eye sore in Altamonte and free standing garages to the East of eyesore have been discussed,; however, I haven't i haven't seen anything regarding the large garage being constructed South of the eye sore, close to I-4 and the condos to the south.  I can't tell if it is part of apartments or what.   There are now vertical columns going up south of the garage.  Anything on this?

Edited by cwetteland
  • Like 1