Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

• 3 weeks later...

With a major expansion coming , Florida will soon have more Wawas than any other state!

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/04/05/florida-is-about-to-drown-in-wawa

From Orlando Weekly

7-Eleven, be very afraid... (those who think Philadelphia is is the sine qua non of urban development, watch out!)

Edited by spenser1058

17 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I have been nothing but pleased since WaWa came to town.  I know I joke about 7-11, but I visit WaWa 10x for any 1x I visit any other place in the last 2-3 years.

Same.  And I was a loyal Racetrac buyer prior to that.  The clear difference is the atmosphere.  7-11 is depressing.  My wife travels locally for work and seeks out Wawa and Publix when she needs to make a stop since she feels safer and both are cleanish.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, codypet said:

Same.  And I was a loyal Racetrac buyer prior to that.  The clear difference is the atmosphere.  7-11 is depressing.  My wife travels locally for work and seeks out Wawa and Publix when she needs to make a stop since she feels safer and both are cleanish.

Same.  I was almost exclusive to Racetrac. 

• 2 weeks later...

A new retention pond to filter storm water before it drains into Lake Lawne has been completed at Barnett Park and landscaped to fit into the park setting.

Lake Lawne is a toxic soup from storm water runoff, septic tank leakage and years of sediment drifting into the lake from the city’s incinerator that once was on the adjoining fairgrounds.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/amp/news/local-news/volunteers-turn-drainage-ditch-into-new-park-in-orlando

From FOX 35

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:30 PM, spenser1058 said:

I know this will not go over well here, but this place needs to go. I looked into it in '16-17 with some associates as a potential ALF. At the time we could get it for around $350k. The story says $500k to get it ready, but that might only bring it to minimal code. Our estimate was $900k not counting the grounds and including fire suppression and elevator, but because it had been designated historic modifications to the exterior were going to be a battle. 

This property is a tremendous testimony to one individual mans dedication and skill and I'm sure at one point it was much more attractive. However, there is no saving this building at this point and the only historical significance is the age. It is not pretty or culturally significant. If the city does not allow the owners to demo it I assume it will be left fallow for another decade or so until the city has to condemn it and tear it down. Meanwhile, the adjacent properties values will suffer.

It is hard to see these buildings of age disappear, but this one has gone too far to be saved unless the city or a foundation wants to make the investment. I can't see any intelligent investor putting money in it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AmIReal said:

I know this will not go over well here, but this place needs to go. I looked into it in '16-17 with some associates as a potential ALF. At the time we could get it for around $350k. The story says $500k to get it ready, but that might only bring it to minimal code. Our estimate was $900k not counting the grounds and including fire suppression and elevator, but because it had been designated historic modifications to the exterior were going to be a battle. 

This property is a tremendous testimony to one individual mans dedication and skill and I'm sure at one point it was much more attractive. However, there is no saving this building at this point and the only historical significance is the age. It is not pretty or culturally significant. If the city does not allow the owners to demo it I assume it will be left fallow for another decade or so until the city has to condemn it and tear it down. Meanwhile, the adjacent properties values will suffer.

It is hard to see these buildings of age disappear, but this one has gone too far to be saved unless the city or a foundation wants to make the investment. I can't see any intelligent investor putting money in it.

It’s definitely a shame if it’s too far gone.

Lake County’s Museum of Art is moving from Eustis to Tavares (with a lot less controversy than their history museum is having these days, we might add):

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/lake/os-ne-lake-county-museum-of-art-20190430-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Osceola County affordable housing project opens on W. US 192:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/osceola-county/os-ne-osceola-affordable-housing-20190429-story.html

From the Sentinel 

So Eustis commissioners decided to not override the Historic Society and therefore will not permit the demo of the 107-year old Wandry House that Spenser had previously mentioned. Good for them in the sense of saving a part of history. However, the house is still in a serious state of disrepair and is only going to get worse. I hope the City, or a foundation, decides to step in and buy the house and restore it to its former glory- for what purpose I don't know.

https://www.dailycommercial.com/news/20190503/wandry-house-in-eustis-gets-reprieve

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:48 AM, AmIReal said:

So Eustis commissioners decided to not override the Historic Society and therefore will not permit the demo of the 107-year old Wandry House that Spenser had previously mentioned. Good for them in the sense of saving a part of history. However, the house is still in a serious state of disrepair and is only going to get worse. I hope the City, or a foundation, decides to step in and buy the house and restore it to its former glory- for what purpose I don't know.

https://www.dailycommercial.com/news/20190503/wandry-house-in-eustis-gets-reprieve

If this was merely to let it stand and rot further, then shame on them.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Beautiful structure...

wandryhouse.jpg

Happy to hear they didn't bulldoze it.

I do wonder if this had been in Mt. Dora instead of Eustis if someone might have tried to rescue it before it was so far gone. 

Eustis has a lot of gems but for whatever reason they seem to slower to recognize just what they’ve got than Mt. Dora. It’s interesting how cities that are similar in many ways often take very different paths depending on who steps up. The Ropers in Winter Garden come to mind who helped that town do a complete 180.

Re: "so far gone", sounds like it's on the verge of collapsing under it's own weight.

I can't imagine it's that bad.

Redo the roof, replace some beams and interior walls, redo the wiring, etc, etc, etc.

Certainly needs work, but has to be well within the realm of salvagable.

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Re: "so far gone", sounds like it's on the verge of collapsing under it's own weight.

I can't imagine it's that bad.

Redo the roof, replace some beams and interior walls, redo the wiring, etc, etc, etc.

Certainly needs work, but has to be well within the realm of salvagable.

I’m just going by AmIReal’s posts - it’s been quite a few years since the last time I saw it. I have to confess Eustis isn’t one of my usual haunts.

Edited by spenser1058