Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

So the team is planned to be called the Orlando Dreamers. The plan is to do the same thing they did with Orlando Magic. Get enough season ticket holders to show the league Orlando is serious about getting a team. He said Orlando Magic got 14,000 season ticket holders in the first three days and that impressed the NBA so much that they gave us a team. Let's see if this works with MLB.

http://www.orlandodreamers.com

Edited by orange87

I actually was one of the folks that sat on the second floor of George Stuart in the ‘80’s cold calling to solicit season ticket pledges for the NBA.

The NBA back then was very different in how it was soliciting cities. MLB has the track records of its Triple-A teams to go by. At the time, the NBA’s developmental teams weren’t nearly as successful as the best Minor-league baseball teams.

Isn’t it interesting that he’s bringing up the NBA process instead of his failed 1990 MLB attempt?

Further, MLB is unsuccessful in the two Florida MSA’s larger than Orlando so he wants a team in a smaller one? Further, the demographics are better (I.e, more retirees)  there than here but yet it will work better here? Remember: neither Disney nor Universal have an incentive to let their guests off property. What part of this makes sense? Plus the fact that if a team goes in the tourist zone you’re just feeding the notion that Orlando is just a “tourist trap”, not a “real” city that our UPer’s demand! 

Miami's attendance was 811,302 in 2019 which is unheard of low even being a team that hasn't had a winning record in almost ten years. For comparison, Baltimore had 14 straight losing seasons, yet always hovered around 2,000,000 per year. Miami has a new stadium and it's a major city. Their attendance just doesn't add up. They should still be able to crack 1,500,000 with their situation. I don't get it. Maybe Miami isn't a baseball city.

As far as the Rays, their attendance is better than Miami's, but still not very good. St. Petersburg can't support a MLB team. Plus they have the worst stadium in MLB. Moving to Tampa or Orlando in a new state-of-the-art stadium in a good location would make them a safe bet to crack 2,000,000+ nearly every year which is solid.

As for the Orlando Dreamers, I think the ideal thing would be for the rays to move to Orlando since efforts to move them to Tampa have fallen through multiple times. Williams brought up a great point. He said that Orlando is on pace to have 80 million visitors a year. If only 2% showed up to ONE Dreamers game, that's 1,600,000 attendance right there. Then you add in Florida residents and it easily surpasses 2,000,000 which is more than the Rays and Marlins combined. I'm liking this idea personally.

• Like 1

It seems Sanford wants to go hi-tech - who knew?

Also, it seems Acme Glass, which was in the loft building on Colonial at the RR tracks for decades - has been bought out and is now in Sanford. Every time you look, it’s like the General is finally getting his revenge!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-sanford-pushing-for-manufacturing-jobs-20191120-o2ooctotfbcilbxgxlhnh67xym-story.html

From the Sentinel 

9 minutes ago, orange87 said:

It's obviously a placeholder so who cares?

You’re right - it perfectly matches showing up to a press conference in a Hawaiian shirt and saying it’s up to you, Orlando, to get 250,,000 names with no commitment. Yep, that’s going to be taken seriously. I know I’m convinced!

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

You’re right - it perfectly matches showing up to a press conference in a Hawaiian shirt and saying it’s up to you, Orlando, to get 250,,000 names with no commitment. Yep, that’s going to be taken seriously. I know I’m convinced!

He's brought more pro sports teams to Orlando than you have, so maybe you should calm down on this weird grudge you have against him.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Damn you people are negative. 

No wonder Orlando won't grow. 

The mindset of people here is to "Stay Small". 

That's all that's been happening too lol

Let Pat go out and grow a successful triple-A team like the Nashville Sounds that demonstrates actual interest in baseball instead of this half-a**ed Amway show and we might take him a little more seriously.

While he’s at it, he might embrace ALL of the community and not discriminate against a significant chunk of us and we might be more willing to accept anything he comes up with.

After decades of success and with huge changes coming as climate change kicks in, OUC has a lot of work to do to solve some old problems.

”What me worry” Buddy, who is on the OUC board, has been strangely quiet about the challenges. It’s not unlike his stance on many of the issues OPD has had. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-orlando-utilities-leadership-misconduct-20191121-lqewnx6nlrfv3cv7b2by2hf7ju-story.html

From the Sentinel 

By the way, this in-depth look at how OUC works is another amazing bit of journalism from our local paper. 

No one has been a bigger supporter of OUC than I over the years, like most Orlando residents who benefit from what it does. To avoid the kind of nonsense currently going on with those who would destroy JEA, however, we have to make sure our municipal-owned utility, truly The Reliable One, is firing on all cylinders.

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Damn you people are negative. 

No wonder Orlando won't grow. 

The mindset of people here is to "Stay Small". 

That's all that's been happening too lol

Being negative and making 7 Eleven jokes is what the cool people on here do apparently. Also, apparently Pat Williams is a "bigot" because he doesn't worship the alphabet people, and that's somehow relevant to bringing a Major League Baseball team to Orlando.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Him showing up in a 2005 Tommy Bahama spring collection shirt with a terrible name and clip art logo causing every national sports writer to take shots at Orlando made us look very small time. Everything about it was amateurish and unfortunately it allowed people to take broader shots at the city as a whole. It was dumb all around and he deserves mockery for it.

Oh, I can’t believe he did that! That’s the stupidest thing in the history of the world!

On 11/20/2019 at 12:49 PM, orange87 said:

Miami's attendance was 811,302 in 2019 which is unheard of low even being a team that hasn't had a winning record in almost ten years. For comparison, Baltimore had 14 straight losing seasons, yet always hovered around 2,000,000 per year. Miami has a new stadium and it's a major city. Their attendance just doesn't add up. They should still be able to crack 1,500,000 with their situation. I don't get it. Maybe Miami isn't a baseball city.

Baseball is a summer sport.

Ever been to Miami in the summer?

Now imagine sitting in a stadium with no roof for three hours down there.

I don't know, but that could have something to do with it.

I understand they're either building or have built a new, modern, covered stadium.

On 11/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, orange87 said:

Being negative and making 7 Eleven jokes is what the cool people on here do apparently. Also, apparently Pat Williams is a "bigot" because he doesn't worship the alphabet people, and that's somehow relevant to bringing a Major League Baseball team to Orlando.

Hey.... leave our 7 Eleven jokes out of this!!!! :angry:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, orange87 said:

well, it is relevant if you want to market season tickets to the "alphabet people."  You don't want to alienate a demo-G.

but I don't think his personality will be a factor once they market to the gen pub for season ticket interest.

6 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Baseball is a summer sport.

Ever been to Miami in the summer?

Now imagine sitting in a stadium with no roof for three hours down there.

I don't know, but that could have something to do with it.

I understand they're either building or have built a new, modern, covered stadium.

They've had the new covered stadium for a decade at this point.