Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Dubsdread is forever and lunch after at the Tap Room rocks!

I played the "original" Dubsdread Course more times than I can count (and enjoyed quite a few beers in the Tap Room). I have yet to play the "remodeled" Dubsdread golf course. I should probably check it out.  Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 7:01 AM, spenser1058 said:

Transformation of former 128-acre Rosemont golf course  announced:

https://www.thedailycity.com/

From The Daily City

A few days ago, the developers of this potential project held a series of community meeting to discuss it. They made it clear it is a $1 billion "concept" and not yet a complete plan. They have not yet named their concept, but they tossed out "Rose Arts" as a possibility. 

The property is in an opportunity zone.

more at GS- https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-news--20200619-fovxs2wr5naupieoq7n453tm2e-story.html

• 1 month later...

Tupperware wants to sell 740 acres of its campus straddling the Orange/Osceola County line time its New York development partner but environmental remediation is delaying it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/07/27/tupperware-land-sale-delayed-to-developer.html

From OBJ (paywall)

However it proceeds, it’s a sad day. Tupperware was once among our largest employers and the annual Tupperware “Jubilee” drove what little existed of our convention and tourism industries (along with next door neighbor Gatorland) in the days before Disney.

Tupperware’s beautiful campus featured a tour of its facilities (including a free salt and pepper shaker) that highlighted native Florida swampland in all its glory.

Edited by spenser1058

More on the proposed six-story mixed use project at Westmoreland and Colonial from Bungalower:

https://bungalower.com/2020/08/04/mixed-use-project-heading-to-westmoreland-and-colonial/

An earlier proposal for a Dunkin’ - anchored strip center went nowhere, but not to worry! There’s still a 7-Eleven across Westmoreland. 

• Thanks 1

The Rose Arts District that has been previously discussed...

$1 billion project. 6000 living units. 350k sqft retail. 10 years to build, but they want to deliver the 1st units in 2023 (seems unlikely).

This is a huge project, bigger than Baldwin. And would provide major improvement to the area. It just seems like such a large bite at this time.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/multi-family/gs-news-rosemont-masterplan-20200807-3qzed5uxhve6hhu4yw7lbx4inq-story.html

• Thanks 1

The times, they are a changin...

Clermont and Davenport are now ready to accept dispensaries within their city limits...Clermont and Davenport hadn’t opted into the state’s rules until last month. Each city separately approved the addition of medical marijuana dispensaries into their land development code under the same zoning categories that allow pharmacies...such as being at least 500 feet from a school...With 263 dispensaries now in Florida, “It’s not taboo anymore.”

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/lake-county-developments/gs-news-marijuana-zoning-20200807-pzelxhof4fefrpsb26hczvmhme-story.html

11 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

The times, they are a changin...

Clermont and Davenport are now ready to accept dispensaries within their city limits...Clermont and Davenport hadn’t opted into the state’s rules until last month. Each city separately approved the addition of medical marijuana dispensaries into their land development code under the same zoning categories that allow pharmacies...such as being at least 500 feet from a school...With 263 dispensaries now in Florida, “It’s not taboo anymore.”

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/lake-county-developments/gs-news-marijuana-zoning-20200807-pzelxhof4fefrpsb26hczvmhme-story.html

Sounds like the very definition of the term "dragged kicking and screaming".

Was it @HankStrong who recently observed that the highest spots in Florida tend to be dumps?

Well, one developer is seeking to build on top of a former OC dump:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/08/11/mmi-proposes-new-apartment-project-orange-county.html

From OBJ (paywall - hopefully, someone can tell us more and @JFW657 won’t get mad at me...)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Was it @HankStrong who recently observed that the highest spots in Florida tend to be dumps?

Well, one developer is seeking to build on top of a former OC dump:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/08/11/mmi-proposes-new-apartment-project-orange-county.html

From OBJ (paywall - hopefully, someone can tell us more and @JFW657 won’t get mad at me...)

An Orlando developer doesn't want this landfill to go to waste. 

MMI Development aims to build 1,500 apartment units and up to 100,000 square feet of commercial space on a former Orange County dump site at 10601 Lake Underhill Road. The project, called Fieldstream Village, would be built in four phases and involve the excavation and remediation of a former Orange County dump that closed in 1980. That landfill has prevented the site from being redeveloped since. 

MMI hopes to secure a public-private partnership with Orange County to improve the area, according to a press release. MMI President Mike Wright said in the release he's asking Orange County to approve tax-increment financing, or TIF, to fund the improvements. 

Orange County spokeswoman Kelly Finkelstein confirmed the county is in talks with the developer, but no decisions have been made. 

A project cost wasn't disclosed, but the development may cost roughly $300 million to build, based on industry standards. A construction timeline isn't known. 

“Without the TIF, or Orange County simply coming up with around $40-plus million, no developer is going to be able to do anything with this site,” Wright said in the release. “Conventional financing for a project like this doesn’t exist in today’s environment. Banks just won’t lend on this type of project due to its complexity and the number of variables. That’s why TIF financing is ideal." 

Demand for housing 

The development team includes land planners Charlotte, North Carolina-based Shook Kelley; Orlando-based GrayRobinson Shareholder Jason Searl; Windermere-based environmental consultant American Environmental Consulting Inc.; Orlando-based government consulting firm Central Florida Strategies' Angel de la Portilla; and St. Petersburg-based Hueber Law PLLC's Brandon Hueber. 

Bent Tree Holdings LLC owns the 38-acre site, according to Orange County records, but it wasn't known how to reach the landowner. Wright is under contract to buy the site. The land's market value is $1.6 million. 

The area is attractive for new residential development as nearby University of Central Florida grows, said Brad Parker, a land expert at Longwood-based Southern Realty, who isn't involved in the land deal. And the deal speaks to demand for apartments in Central Florida, as developers look to secure any available land for new deals. 

"You're going to see much more redevelopment of properties that have had issues in the past," Parker said. 

Apartment stats

Orlando was one of the hottest areas for apartment growth in the U.S., but the region has felt the impacts of Covid-19. 

Apartment rents have fallen 2.2% in Orlando since March 31 due to the pandemic, according to an ApartmentData.com July market report. Class A apartments saw the biggest fall, 3.6%, as demand slowed. But rents have been inching up since March despite not reaching their pre-pandemic levels. 

"There are around 6,000 units in lease-up plus another 7,000 units under construction, which will face challenging lease-up times," according to the report. "Rent collection looms as a huge problem as Congress painfully crafts a second stimulus package."

Sounds like a very mini Baldwin Park. Some will look down upon this because it’s in the burbs but I like it. If it comes to fruition, I hope they have some cool brunch places.

Edited by Uncommon
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 7:28 PM, spenser1058 said:

7-story senior apartment building coming to 5800 S. Rio Grande Ave.:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/08/24/new-orlando-apartments-millenia-construction.html 

From OBJ

What’s hilarious is OBJ dubbed this “Millenia Area”. Really?

a lot of apartment complexes are labeling themselves as millennia area and then  people find out too late that its not 

thats an interesting location for this to go in. Also on the west of that parcel, all of those buildings got demolished the past month or so but i have no idea what will go in place 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Northrop Grumman, with ~4000 tech employees in the region (including the Space Coast) is consolidating several of its locations into an 84K sf facility at Central Florida Research Park.

The article notes that defense work like Northrop’s continues to move ahead even as the hospitality industry flounders due to COVID.

CFRP is one of the country’s largest research parks and has very close ties to UCF. This is just one more way to tie the Space Coast more closely with the Orlando economy and reduce our local dependence on a low-wage industry.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/10/05/northrop-grumman-signs-office-agreement-near-ucf.html

From OBJ

As UCF’s motto puts it on the University seal: “Reach For the Stars”.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Four of the five Orange Technical College campuses will undergo major renovations and the Winter Garden location will leave Story Rd. for a new location across from Ocoee High School:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/10/05/orange-technical-college-set-for-four-campus.html

From OBJ 

Part of me wants to see them completely rebuild the downtown building given the redevelopment of CV. Or at least remove the surface parking lot and replace with some open green space in the interim. 

Edited by Jerry95
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerry95 said:

Part of me wants to see them completely rebuild the downtown building given the redevelopment of CV. Or at least remove the surface parking lot and replace with some open green space in the interim. 

I was just thinking they could rebuild the old building over on Rosalind the 4-story building replaced after the fire...

We’ll name it after @JFW657after all the research he did figuring out what happened over there in the early ‘80’s...

If you all are talking about the 5 story OTC building downtown, just demo'ing it would be a major undertaking.

That place is built solid.

I could see maybe redoing the exterior a little bit, but even that isn't really necessary. 

I like the red brick exterior and the late 60's/early 70's architecture.

orlando-tech.jpg  tn_w300-h250-136303_390_df3.jpg

The spot on Rosalind where the old school building was, is now Radius, so I don't know how they could build anything else on that site.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you guys are talking about.

40 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

If you all are talking about the 5 story OTC building downtown, just demo'ing it would be a major undertaking.

That place is built solid.

I could see maybe redoing the exterior a little bit, but even that isn't really necessary. 

I like the red brick exterior and the late 60's/early 70's architecture.

orlando-tech.jpg  tn_w300-h250-136303_390_df3.jpg

The spot on Rosalind where the old school building was, is now Radius, so I don't know how they could build anything else on that site.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you guys are talking about.

It was actually built after the old tech school burned about 1980. And you’re right- it ain’t going anywhere. Just musing a bit on the now “disappeared” Devil’s Triangle that came to be when Rosalind was rerouted for OSCAR.

I also agree that it’s a good-looking building. All the more amazing given what OCPS has often foisted on our innocent neighborhoods.

Edited by spenser1058