Other Metro Area Projects

40 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

If you all are talking about the 5 story OTC building downtown, just demo'ing it would be a major undertaking.

That place is built solid.

I could see maybe redoing the exterior a little bit, but even that isn't really necessary. 

I like the red brick exterior and the late 60's/early 70's architecture.

orlando-tech.jpg  tn_w300-h250-136303_390_df3.jpg

The spot on Rosalind where the old school building was, is now Radius, so I don't know how they could build anything else on that site.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you guys are talking about.

It was actually built after the old tech school burned about 1980. And you’re right- it ain’t going anywhere. Just musing a bit on the now “disappeared” Devil’s Triangle that came to be when Rosalind was rerouted for OSCAR.

I also agree that it’s a good-looking building. All the more amazing given what OCPS has often foisted on our innocent neighborhoods.

Edited by spenser1058

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm very excited about this project. I think Sanford's downtown has so much potential.  

A mother and her baby in my backyard. Mom is about 2 feet tall.

That really is great news.  We need to maintain and preserve as many of our wilderness areas as possible, especially along the Econ. Let's hope we don't get anymore Ted Edwards's on the comm

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

OSCAR?

Yep - Rosalind was rerouted as the northbound one-way segment for FL 527 to  make way for Mayor Bill’s streetcar, OSCAR, on Magnolia. Of course, things didn’t work out and we got clunky old Lymmo instead, but that’s another story.

Oh ok.  I didn't realize the BRT was originally intended as a street car named OSCAR.  I knew of the realignment, but I thought that had to do with the design of Lymmo and the new Courthouse coming. 

I'm sketchy on the details too as was LCS always envisioned to move to its current location and that's why Lymmo was routed the way it was?  I know Greyhound was originally envisioned to move the the block north of LCS.

28 minutes ago, codypet said:

Oh ok.  I didn't realize the BRT was originally intended as a street car named OSCAR.  I knew of the realignment, but I thought that had to do with the design of Lymmo and the new Courthouse coming. 

I'm sketchy on the details too as was LCS always envisioned to move to its current location and that's why Lymmo was routed the way it was?  I know Greyhound was originally envisioned to move the the block north of LCS.

I don’t remember exactly - I think OSCAR going to Bob Carr and Expo Centre was Job 1 and the O-Rena and LCS fell into place.

The Greyhound station was originally at Amelia and Hughey and was sacrificed for the parking garage on that corner to service the new O-Rena/Bob Carr. It always seemed poor planning to me to plop it out there on JYP and, almost immediately, decide, “whoops! this belongs downtown.” Then again, Mayor Bill never spent much time thinking about transit. I think he liked the idea of OSCAR more than the functionality of it.

Ironically, Jake Stuart, Mayor Bill’s #2 originally, understood how important transit was to a low-wage city (he even hired the guy - Paul Skoutelas - who is now the country’s godfather of mass transit to  run Lynx). Only problem was, shortly thereafter Jake sold his soul to run the Chamber and the good Republicans over there wanted nothing to do with those nasty buses.

Thus, we went into a transit interregnum from which we still haven’t emerged.

Edited by spenser1058

The lot that was envisioned as the future Greyhound Yard could still be the Greyhound Yard if they put their minds to it.  Building goes right on the corner of Amelia/Garland.  Amelia driveway is exit only for busses and Concord is enter only for buses.  The parking lot and kiss and ride is north of Concord (and cars and rideshare use Concord as access to the site).  This ties Greyhound to Lynx to Sunrail.  Or hell, acquire Vanguard's parking lot for parking.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

If you all are talking about the 5 story OTC building downtown, just demo'ing it would be a major undertaking.

That place is built solid.

I could see maybe redoing the exterior a little bit, but even that isn't really necessary. 

I like the red brick exterior and the late 60's/early 70's architecture.

orlando-tech.jpg  tn_w300-h250-136303_390_df3.jpg

The spot on Rosalind where the old school building was, is now Radius, so I don't know how they could build anything else on that site.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you guys are talking about.

I'd just like to see better street frontage on Amelia. A new building or green space would help activate the space for those crossing under I-4. 

Edited by Jerry95
  • Like 1
Just now, Jerry95 said:

I'd just like to see better street frontage on Amelia. With all the development or green space would be great for those crossing under I-4. 

Certainly improvements in the appearance would be a plus, but otoh, they need those parking spaces....

otech3d.png

I'd just like to see them put in more trees.

Around the perimeter and a couple in those little grass islands.

• Like 1

Big Lots moving across the street at FL 436 Semoran Blvd and Curry Ford Rd to old Kmart. City working on facade and a fitness center, too!

And to think all I ever bought there was a Christmas tree at the church on the opposite corner...

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/10/15/azalea-plaza-retailrenovation-east-orlando-florida.html

From OBJ

Do you suppose if Commissioner Ortiz gets this, he’ll get over his parking space fetish? We can only hope...

Edited by spenser1058
18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Big Lots moving across the street as FL 436 Semoran Blvd and Curry Ford Rd to old Kmart. City working on facade and a fitness center, too!

And to think all I ever bought there was a Christmas tree at the church on the opposite corner...

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/10/15/azalea-plaza-retailrenovation-east-orlando-florida.html

From OBJ

Do you suppose if Commissioner Ortiz gets this, he’ll get over his parking space fetish? We can only hope...

Good, that empty lot was such an eyesore and an embarrassment to the people coming into to MCO driving down Semoran. I just hope this doesn’t leave a similar blighted-looking vacancy in the old Big Lots building.

On 10/6/2020 at 12:38 PM, codypet said:

The lot that was envisioned as the future Greyhound Yard could still be the Greyhound Yard if they put their minds to it.  Building goes right on the corner of Amelia/Garland.  Amelia driveway is exit only for busses and Concord is enter only for buses.  The parking lot and kiss and ride is north of Concord (and cars and rideshare use Concord as access to the site).  This ties Greyhound to Lynx to Sunrail.  Or hell, acquire Vanguard's parking lot for parking.

Wasn't this the plan after the I-4 Ultimate is finished. Have the FDOT/vendor offices on that site been moved yet? 

Does north Lake County/Apopka area have a thread on here? Tons of new growth all around Wekiva Parkway.

Mount Dora seems to have at least 4 new neighborhoods in development. I believe a new apartment complex is also in the works. There's also a huge new assisted living complex being built across the street from Waterman Village.

Meanwhile the Avalon Park town center in Tavares/Eustis (behind the hospital) has its apartment complex vertical and commercial area will likely do so very soon.  

Land is being cleared for a new neighborhood in Tangerine too. 

There's also a lot of new growth in Apopka just south of OBT on the 429, near Lake Apopka. It looks to be a pretty nice neighborhood with large landscaped medians that have very nice palm trees in them. 

Bungalower is reporting the imminent closure of Parliament House, a fixture in Orlando’s LBGTQ+ community since 1975.

Rumor has it that talks have been underway to move some of the resort’s nightlife to Church St. Stay tuned.

https://bungalower.com/2020/10/28/parliament-house-closing-this-weekend-hosting-last-dance-on-sunday/

Apart from all the cultural and social issues involved, there is the motel’s location in the West Orlando opportunity zone and what that could bring to the area. Also, the PH sign is one of our last remaining neon wonders and whether it will head off to Morse, never to be seen again by sentient beings.

Edited by spenser1058
12 minutes ago, codypet said:

Some of McNamera's sign made it to Morse, as did Merita Bread so I would imagine  Phouse would too.  What was the deal?  The owners of Phouse itself couldn't secure financing to buy and renovate the building?

image.png.c950ec73f46d9fb2bbd0108b36860dc3.png

The Merita sign in all its glory.

The problem I have with Morse is, yes, it’s great they have saved all these signs, but what good are they if they’re never displayed?

It reminds me of Gen. McClellan in the Civil War who built this incredible Union Army but then refused to use it to fight. To which President Lincoln got incredibly frustrated and asked if perhaps he might borrow it?

If Morse doesn’t have the means (and, don’t get me wrong, the Morse Gallery is a local treasure) or will to display the signs, let’s find an organization that does.

As for the state of the PH, it’s been a management and financial mess for much of its existence. We pretty much always knew it would all fall apart at some point. 

There’s also the fact that, not unlike the demise of incredible Black neighborhoods that lost their footing as their residents were accepted into the larger community, the whole concept of gay ghettos and dedicated gay clubs doesn’t have the same resonance it once did. It’s definitely a sign of progress in the long-term even as we mourn its passing.

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

There’s also the fact that, not unlike the demise of incredible Black neighborhoods that lost their footing as their residents were accepted into the larger community, the whole concept of gay ghettos and dedicated gay clubs doesn’t have the same resonance it once did. It’s definitely a sign of progress in the long-term even as we mourn its passing.

I understand that, but I will say that the wider acceptance also increases the audience.  Southern Nights/Craft/District Dive has ballooned from what I can see as far as visitors (one would assume with allies of the community).  Especially with the loss of Pulse. I myself not being part of the community frequent Craft about as much as I frequent any other bar as do my neighbors.  Unless your pointing out that as the acceptance increases, the idea of these clubs being dedicated becomes diluted, and they start becoming less dedicated, and more allies of the community?  

19 minutes ago, codypet said:

I understand that, but I will say that the wider acceptance also increases the audience.  Southern Nights/Craft/District Dive has ballooned from what I can see as far as visitors (one would assume with allies of the community).  Especially with the loss of Pulse. I myself not being part of the community frequent Craft about as much as I frequent any other bar as do my neighbors.  Unless your pointing out that as the acceptance increases, the idea of these clubs being dedicated becomes diluted, and they start becoming less dedicated, and more allies of the community?  

The total number of exclusively gay bars in most parts of the country has diminished, certainly in central Florida. A lot of that has to do with the fact among young folks they are likely to feel welcome in regular bars these days, which is by all means a good thing. 

And it’s not just bars and clubs that have disappeared but shopping districts like ViMi (whose initial resurgence was built on gay stores - the Pride parade was even over there for a bit) and the cruising districts that were replaced by online options.

It’s particularly notable in places like Daytona, which once had more than a half dozen mostly gay bars and clubs.

Even in a place like San Francisco, The Castro has been gentrified with straight folks much as Black residents find themselves pushed out of neighborhoods in DC. It’s been an incredible phenomenon. 

• Like 1

OBJ is suggesting that Church St go retro and go for a gay district featuring PH, Mary’s and more:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/10/29/parliament-house-seeks-new-orlando-location.html

It’s certainly Back To the Future and Mayor Bill and Bob Snow would certainly know the world had changed.