Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Not only has the Parliament House closed but apparently the complex will be demolished as well.

The property apparently will be used for industrial or affordable housing. Given its lakefront location, industrial certainly seems a waste.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/11/05/parliament-house.html

From OBJ
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Not only has the Parliament House closed but apparently the complex will be demolished as well.

The property apparently will be used for industrial or affordable housing. Given its lakefront location, industrial certainly seems a waste.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/11/05/parliament-house.html

From OBJ

The fence went up overnight.

• Thanks 1

Orlando could be the first city in the country to get a sky or air taxi hub.

Tavistock development has partnered with the city of Orlando and Lillium Aviation of Germany, to build the first "high-speed electric air mobility network" in the country to Orlando by 2025.

The hub will be located in Lake Nona.

lilium.jpg?cb=1605126243

lake_nona_vertiport_7_-_credit_lilium_an

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/11/11/flying-taxis-and-the-first-us-vertiport-are-coming-to-lake-nona-by-2025

https://www.aviationpros.com/engines-components/aircraft-engines/electric-green-engine-technology/news/21161954/orlando-signs-off-on-deal-for-electric-sky-taxi-company-in-lake-nona

Nice work, Mayor Dyer!!!! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

What a mess. Morse has a splendid neon collection which it never lets the public see; the city’s record given the brise sitting out in a field getting broken. And these people want the darned PH sign?

I have no idea if the History Center has space for a sign that large but I’d rather give them a shot to do the right thing given the track record of the other two.

Dear Lord, what I wouldn’t give for someone in this town to be competent again.

https://bungalower.com/2020/11/19/city-of-orlando-enters-save-the-parliament-house-sign-hot-potato-game/

From Bungalower 

• 2 weeks later...

Do we not have a Sanford or Seminole County thread...?

Attorney Mark Nation is developing a New Orleans style destination restaurant with a distillery in historic downtown Sandford. This looks interesting... Update: Orlando Attorney Mark Nation Plans New Orleans-Style Destination Restaurant & Distillery - Historic Downtown Sanford

16 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Do we not have a Sanford or Seminole County thread...?

Attorney Mark Nation is developing a New Orleans style destination restaurant with a distillery in historic downtown Sandford. This looks interesting... Update: Orlando Attorney Mark Nation Plans New Orleans-Style Destination Restaurant & Distillery - Historic Downtown Sanford

There are a lot of Orlando businesses opening locations or moving to Sanford -- they have the luxury of empty space and much lower rents over much of our Orlando neighborhoods. 

If anyone wants to give Mayor Demings and the OC Commissioners their personal views on what OC should like like, then this is your chance.

Vision 2050: Orange County Needs Your Input When It Comes to Growth and Re-imagining the County

South Market Area: Mon., Dec. 14, 2020 at 6 p.m. – Register

Northwest Market Area: Wed., Dec. 16, 2020 at 6 p.m. – Register

Core Market Area: Mon., Jan. 11, 2021 at 6 p.m. – Register

East Market Area: Wed., Jan. 13, 2021 at 6 p.m. – Register

Rural East Market Area: Thur., Jan. 14, 2021 at 6 p.m. – Register

Southwest Market Area: Wed., Jan. 20, 2021 at 6 p.m. – Register

https://newsroom.ocfl.net/media-advisories/press-releases/2020/12/vision-2050-orange-county-needs-your-input-when-it-comes-to-growth-and-re-imagining-the-county/

WP Village to get an upgrade. As much as $50mil toward renovation. They plan to add a lot of additional outdoor space, reduce curbs to street level, maybe convert some office to residential and general facelift.

They are currently at 20% vacancy, but the owner says they have national tenants lined up. 

"The Main Street section between Orlando Avenue and the Regal Cinema would be rebuilt without curbs to provide a seamless transition from the expanded sidewalk plazas. On-street parking will be eliminated in favor of pedestrian spaces."... "The largest available slots, 35,485 square feet, is the entire second floor of the D building that stretches the length of Main Street and ends across from the movie theater. The second floor of the C building, also on Main Street, has nearly 17,000 square feet available."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-winter-park-village-20201214-yvnzfbl3v5gv7hpfyuybxzpth4-story.html

also https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/12/14/winter-park-village-to-undergo-major-upgrade.html

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I like the street activation, but the photos show curbs- which they said they were removing. I really like the proposed beer garden.

If you look closely at the top rendering, you can see that there are no curbs.

Not sure but I think the article made mention of the curbs being removed only on the main thoroughfare, which is what is represented in that rendering.

Sanford in early talks with new owners of Seminole Towne Center for redevelopment which may include apartments, offices and entertainment components:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-seminole-towne-center-property-sanford-20201218-rqubebwhhrcn7mwczigzdjd5bq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

On 12/16/2020 at 9:54 AM, codypet said:

There are curbs and then like a gradual sloped sidewalk to take the place of a curb in others.  At least that's what I'm seeing.  Should make it easier to shut down the main thoroughfare for events and patio seating.

Look closely at the top rendering. 

No curbs in that one.

2 hours ago, codypet said:

I'm seeing curbs in the top of that picture by where the car is shown. 

Okay, so maybe there are some curbs at certain places.

If you look at where the street transitions into the sidewalk area in the foreground....

wpvillage01.png&key=df2bd40de0299695dc200dbca7c23d132bd427085540672036603b88fddc5724

....you'll see that there are no curbs on either side of the street.

Logical conclusion.... they are only planning to do away with the sidewalks in certain areas. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 1:40 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I love how Water Street in Tampa is coming along! 

A83C5C13-E373-4104-8463-397351DC2966.jpeg

92F9B6E2-58D3-4C7D-859A-D32AE6882A73.jpeg

07160C9F-1208-49B3-A29D-1CA29E435C6F.jpeg

Water Street definitely has that "big city" feel.  I always appreciate architecture that does not sacrifice quality design for balconies (here's looking at you Miami).  Tampa has a LONG way to go in developing a cohesive downtown (still so many parking lots and highways dissecting the core, but this is a big step in the right direction.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2020 at 1:13 PM, prahaboheme said:

Water Street definitely has that "big city" feel.  I always appreciate architecture that does not sacrifice quality design for balconies (here's looking at you Miami).  Tampa has a LONG way to go in developing a cohesive downtown (still so many parking lots and highways dissecting the core, but this is a big step in the right direction.

I drove throughout the Downtown Tampa area a couple of weeks ago and thought the same thing. The new construction in Water Street look VERY nice. Lots of detail. There were a few other developments I saw that were nice, including the JW Marriott and pedestrian bridge over to the Water Street Marriott and the Waterfront Park improvements.  The big HOWEVER is how disconnected everything is feeling, with the factors you mentioned as well as rail yards and distance. Over time the gaps may be filled if growth and redevelopment continues along with softening and humanizing those "barriers", but it will be a while before  all of that occurs. 

• Like 2