Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

5 minutes ago, codypet said:

With the Chevron right there and the Waffle House around the corner, the people watching in the late 80's early 90's on that corner must have been amazing.

Of course, one of the ancillary establishments was the old Mark Inn on Wymore Rd. with the carpeted shag walls! Talk about decadence...

18 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Anyone remember the Why Not Lounge in Altamonte?

Legendary pick-up spot mentioned in Playboy magazine back in the 70's  as one of the best places to.... well, you know.

Again, not the place for folks like me... nevertheless,it was incredibly popular and made more money than the Holiday Inn it was part of (tourism was still struggling in the era of the 1st oil crisis, then the recession and then oil crisis two. 

I believe astronaut John Glenn was an investor .

And then, also for all the breeders, was JJ Whispers on Lee Rd!

33 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Again, not the place for folks like me... nevertheless,it was incredibly popular and made more money than the Holiday Inn it was part of (tourism was still struggling in the era of the 1st oil crisis, then the recession and then oil crisis two. 

I believe astronaut John Glenn was an investor .

Then there was Cheek to Cheek on 17-92 at the Lee Rd intersection.

That was the location of the last gig ever played by keyboardist Richard Manuel of the legendary band , The Band which backed Bob Dylan in the mid 60's and again in the mid 70's as well as other legendary acts like Eric Clapton and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young just to name a couple.

Lead by Robbie Robertson they were known for their 70's hits The Weight and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

Richard Manuel hanged himself from the shower curtain rod in the bathroom of his hotel room after playing at Cheek To Cheek.

I had always heard it was the Days Inn next door at 17-92 and Lee Rd , but Wikipedia say sit was The Langford

• Like 1

That intersection was always unnecessarily seedy. Good riddance to the booby trap. I once met a few of the dancers who worked at Club Harem at a sketchy party - they were scary looking.

Years ago, further inside the neighborhood, the owner of Rachel's built a home on Lake Killarney and threw a huge (housewarming?) party... the entire neighborhood was swarming with attractive women in slinky dresses (and their dates) as they walked several streets to & from the party home. I remember seeing that back in high school while visiting a friend.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could an 18-story apartment tower be coming to Cranes Roost Park in Altamonte Springs? Gilbane Development is reportedly  in talks with the city:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/02/11/new-construction-altamonte-springs-gilbane.html?ana=maz

From OBJ 

God’s Skyscraper may have competition after all these years...
Edited by spenser1058

15 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Could an 18-story apartment tower be coming to Cranes Roost Park in Altamonte Springs? Gilbane Development is reportedly  in talks with the city:

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/02/11/new-construction-altamonte-springs-gilbane.html?ana=maz

From OBJ 

God’s Skyscraper may have competition after all these years...

I'm not usually the person to yell "bUt ThE tRaFfIc!!!!!" but I sure hope these I-4 improvements and additional exit in the area help reduce congestion.  That being said, this would be very walkable to stores (including Whole Foods) and restaurants -- and you can drive there without going out onto 436.. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2021 at 12:23 AM, spenser1058 said:

I think they had a good 80s night on some off night when Barbarella wasn't open. Thurs maybe? The 80s/alternative crowd is usually a good mix.. I wouldn't say breeders. I mean, I was there. But only on Thursday. Hahaha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/03/04/avalon-park-food-hall-reveals-9-new-restaurants.html

9-restaurant food hall coming to Avalon Park at the end of April. I know most posters tend to poo-poo on AP, but I love it. Their downtown area is awesome and this is a very cool addition to it. I’ll definitely be sure to check this out when it opens.

• Like 3

On 8/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, JFW657 said:

Promises, promises, promises.

After announcing about a year ago that the Majesty Building, aka The I-4 Eyesore, would be completed by around the beginning of summer 2019, the owner is now telling us that the opening is, once again, delayed indefinitely.

Blaming "other local construction projects" (chiefly  the I-4 Ultimate  project) for slowing down their efforts.

I don't know.

I do know I'd like a pair if those socks, though!!! :thumbsup:

Didn’t they get more money from I-4 Ultimate?

• 4 weeks later...

I hope Orlando metro wins both of these of job prospects.  In my opinion I think Orlando is the best suited place in Florida for such projects.  South Florida is too crowded and expensive.  Orlando is home one the largest or in the top 3 universities in the country.  Housing prices more moderate than and from my perspective safer from a hurricane perspective.

From the Orlando Biz Journal

""Three big companies have shown interest so far in new office space and jobs in Orlando:

Burbank, California-based The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) has been in talks to relocate jobs from California to Lake Nona. No deal has been signed, but OBJ first reported that discussions were active. It's unclear how much office space or how many jobs may potentially move to Central Florida. A decision date wasn't known.
New York-based JetBlue Airways Corp. (Nasdaq: JBLU) may relocate up to 1,300 jobs to Orlando has part of a headquarters move. OBJ has identified one potential space JetBlue may be considering: a proposed six-story, 240,000-square-foot office building at its Orlando Support Center at 8265 Hangar Blvd. JetBlue expects to make a decision on its future office space later this year.
An unknown firm is looking to invest up to $300 million and create 2,100 jobs at Space Florida’s Launch and Landing Facility near Kennedy Space Center. It's part of an effort called "Project Kraken" and the unnamed company would create the jobs by 2025. These positions would pay high wages, with the average salary at $84,000. A decision date wasn't immediately known.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/03/31/jetblue-disney-office-jobs-relocation-florida.html

• Like 2

Of the three of these, I’d rank the Brevard firm as most likely. The private space business is hot and Brevard has the infrastructure and talent to pull it off.

I’d love JetBlue to move here, but having gone through this song and dance before with them, I’m not seeing it.

With Disney, Bob Iger said last year that it was time to reevaluate the company’s need for office space. Anything studio-related or Disney+ isn’t moving here (sorry folks, Orlando is still regarded as BFE by that crowd). Same with ESPN in Connecticut.

In terms of parks, it’s already pretty well divvied up between what’s needed here vs. what Cali/China and to a lesser extent Japan (the Tokyo parks aren’t actually owned by Disney) require. Anyway, why build at Lake Nona when there’s space on property (unless Tavistock is offering some ridiculous bargain). DVC and DCL are mostly here already. There was talk of Team Disney and perhaps Casting relocating (that I4 frontage should be used for revenue-generating activities), but again Lake Nona doesn’t make sense for that. Shop Disney doesn’t seem like they’d need the Class A office Nona is probably interested in building.

If I’m wrong on the last two, I’d be ecstatic, though.

Edited by spenser1058

if these 3 job prospects happen at all [especially al at the same time by miracle], Orlando and Orange County NEED to double down on organizing zoning and transportation. I don't know how much our layout can handle another population boom. We feel crowded as it is. I4 is basically done and its still getting traffic in many spots it used to get congested in. and a lot of these suburban sprawls are designed horribly where a having a car is life or death and the only "retail" nearby is a 7eleven that charges $20 for a gallon of milk. rih14 

not sure if im thinking of these things the wrong way, just a thought 

Edited by W7edwin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, W7edwin said:

if these 3 job prospects happen at all [especially al at the same time by miracle], Orlando and Orange County NEED to double down on organizing zoning and transportation. I don't know how much our layout can handle another population boom. We feel crowded as it is. I4 is basically done and its still getting traffic in many spots it used to get congested in. and a lot of these suburban sprawls are designed horribly where a having a car is life or death and the only "retail" nearby is a 7eleven that charges $20 for a gallon of milkrih14 

not sure if im thinking of these things the wrong way, just a thought 

Preach! lol

On a separate note... I was initially against DGX coming downtown, but I will say that during the late hours when grocery stores are closed and I just need to grab a few things quickly, I've shopped at DGX far more than 7-eleven on Rosalind/Central Blvd. The selection is meh, but I'm cheap and DGX's prices are very reasonable for a convenience store.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, WAJAS said:

The company over at the Space Coast is SpaceX IMO. I'm just judging this based on the codename and my own intuition. Musk already decided to move a good portion of Tesla to Texas. This would be a similar move.

Raptor. Dragon. Falcon... Kraken?

Makes sense. No matter what I think of Elon’s politics he’s been great for the Space Coast so I’m all for it!