Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Preach! lol

On a separate note... I was initially against DGX coming downtown, but I will say that during the late hours when grocery stores are closed and I just need to grab a few things quickly, I've shopped at DGX far more than 7-eleven on Rosalind/Central Blvd. The selection is meh, but I'm cheap and DGX's prices are very reasonable for a convenience store.

ok i tought i was the only one who thought 7eleven prices for some items are ridiculous default_oprahbk.gif

during my Valencia College days [2014-17] all i ate was their pizza and icee but that's not conventional for families, who even if they  live in $300k houses in suburbia [and can technically afford those $20 jugs lol], that does not give the  commercial field [retail? not sure what right word to use] a reason to upcharge necessary foods like... milk + bread  true1

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Wish it was closer to downtown.

While I wish it was in downtown, the company founder said in the most recent Sentinel article that he wanted to help revitalize Eatonville. And this is a great first step as the town apparently has very little tax base. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

While I wish it was in downtown, the company founder said in the most recent Sentinel article that he wanted to help revitalize Eatonville. And this is a great first step as the town apparently has very little tax base. 

Laudable.

But we still need more architecture of that caliber in DTO, though. 

At least it's very close to I-4 anyway.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Laudable.

But we still need more architecture of that caliber in DTO, though. 

At least it's very close to I-4 anyway.

I think it will be very cool looking as you are driving on I4 westbound into downtown. As Advent Health continues to grow, that stretch of I4 has a much more dense, urban vibe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FLClarkKent said:

I don't buy it.   Eatonville does have a nice(ish) walkable town center and if they really had the residents best interests in mind, they'd tastefully add to that.  Considering the lot is 3/4 parking, I absolutely believe the founder was just looking for a cheap piece of land near Orlando with low taxes.

Edited by elefants
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, elefants said:

I don't buy it.   Eatonville does have a nice(ish) walkable town center and if they really had the residents best interests in mind, they'd tastefully add to that.  Considering the lot is 3/4 parking, I absolutely believe the founder was just looking for a cheap piece of land near Orlando with low taxes.

Healthy cynicism is always warranted in such matters. But I believe that Eatonville has little to no commercial tax base, and this kind of development would be a big boon--likely spurring more development in the future.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FLClarkKent said:

Healthy cynicism is always warranted in such matters. But I believe that Eatonville has little to no commercial tax base, and this kind of development would be a big boon--likely spurring more development in the future.

I hope it does.  And really, I'd bet it's a mix of trying to help and getting a good deal.   I'm just a little peeved because it's a small area with a lot of pedestrian activity and I'd like to see the land used more thoughtfully.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 5:12 PM, spenser1058 said:

Apparently, we don’t have to wait for climate change to get beachfront property here in the Orlando area:

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/paradise-like-beach-development-coming-to-orlando.amp

From FOX35

Hmmm.   that's gotta cost $$$ in salt and/or chlorine to keep it clear and chlorinated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A quick update on Rose Arts. The City Muni board approved it (again) and whoever wants to challenge that has until tomorrow to file am appeal.  Otherwise it may appear on the Commission agenda 8/23 where it is unclear if it has the votes. Even if passed, it has to go to the State for Opportunity Funding approval and then back to the Commission for final vote.

I am well aware I do not live there and likely do not appreciate the impact this may have, but I hope it eventually comes to happen. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/07/23/orlando-construction-florida-rosearts-project.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Interesting. Advent Health buys Holy Land property. No announcement on plans yet.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/08/05/breaking-holy-land-florida-theme-park-sale.html

14 acres for $32 mil.

Aww man, I loved seeing the Holy Land building while driving on I-4! I hope they somehow figure out how to keep some of the outer aesthetics and incorporate the signature elements of the site into what I presume will be another hospital.

3 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Aww man, I loved seeing the Holy Land building while driving on I-4! I hope they somehow figure out how to keep some of the outer aesthetics and incorporate the signature elements of the site into what I presume will be another hospital.

I mean, Advent is a Christian organization, so... 

Edited by uncreativeusername

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Interesting. Advent Health buys Holy Land property. No announcement on plans yet.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/08/05/breaking-holy-land-florida-theme-park-sale.html

14 acres for $32 mil.

good.  I never liked that place being next to an upscale development in that part of town; granted, only blocks from Millennia it gets very ghetto very quick...

Interestingly, Orlando Health on Turkey Lake Rd is on land roughly 14 acres as well.  I think Advent is going to build a competing larger hospital there  in that quadrant which will have exceptional visibility from I-4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I think Advent is going to build a competing larger hospital there  in that quadrant which will have exceptional visibility from I-4.

Possibly, but I don't think that is the intention. I definitely think it will be healthcare related, but I don't see it being a hospital.

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Didn’t Holy Land get in trouble with the IRS for charging admission while also claiming a tax exemption? 
I never quite understood their intentions and won’t be sad to see it go.

This has been a tax avoidance scam all along. I'm sure the City will appreciate the addition to the coffers- unless Advent finds a way around paying (which wouldn't be surprising).

26 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Possibly, but I don't think that is the intention. I definitely think it will be healthcare related, but I don't see it being a hospital.

do you mean, like, how they have the orthopedic building u/c at the main campus that is a specialty building; that they would have a specialty building(s) there vs a bed hospital with ER?

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

This has been a tax avoidance scam all along. I'm sure the City will appreciate the addition to the coffers- unless Advent finds a way around paying (which wouldn't be surprising).

Hospitals are generally non profits. Advent is definitely tax exempt. 

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Is it really a resort if there’s no bacon? 

If it's owned by Advent, they'd have meatless, vegetable "bacon".

I worked for them back in 2008 - 2012, 

IIRC, all the "meat" served in their cafeteria, was plant-based.

Everything was low fat, low sodium, etc.

In the condiment area, instead of little packets of salt, they had little packets of Mrs. Dash. 

• Like 1