Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Just now, JFW657 said:

If it's owned by Advent, they'd have meatless, vegetable "bacon".

I worked for them back in 2008 - 2012, 

IIRC, all the "meat" served in their cafeteria, was plant-based.

Everything was low fat, low sodium, etc.

In the condiment area, instead of little packets of salt, they had little packets of Mrs. Dash. 

Sadly, the Wendy’s they own on N Orange Ave would not sell a bacon cheeseburger even with faux bacon. That could be a disagreement with Advent and Wendy’s, though, not letting them sell fake bacon. Of course, as the fast fooders go into beyond burgers and such that may change.

• Like 1

UP poster @klstorey takes a good look (as always)at Holy Land’s past and how AdventHealth may be hoist on its own petard in regard to its plans.

He also notes Advent is not buying all of Holy Land’s property:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2021/08/12/the-holy-land-experience-is-gone-for-good-but-its-past-may-help-us-know-what-comes-next

From Orlando Weekly 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 10:47 AM, spenser1058 said:

UP poster @klstorey takes a good look (as always)at Holy Land’s past and how AdventHealth may be hoist on its own petard in regard to its plans.

He also notes Advent is not buying all of Holy Land’s property:

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2021/08/12/the-holy-land-experience-is-gone-for-good-but-its-past-may-help-us-know-what-comes-next

From Orlando Weekly 

shoot.  should've read your post when you posted it; I missed the Godzilla-thon on 8-29-21 at Enzian...

OBTNext Plan

An 8.3 mile corridor of OBT stretching from Hwy 50 to 528 is being proposed as a comprehensive master plan with 5 branded districts. 

"West Downtown is envisioned to be a hub for sports and entertainment uses" from 50 to Gore.

Holden Heights "can become a place to attract higher education institutions and businesses related to design and construction."

Holden from I4 to Holden Ave is envisioned to be all about international cuisine.

Americana area, with large land tracts will be home to auto related businesses.

Lake Elinor area, from Oak Ridge to 528 will focus on retail and higher ed buildings.

The 4,766 acre corridor has 7800 parcels with 200 vacant.

Very pie in the sky stuff as far as actually ever coming together, but the article has some good additional stuff for those that can access it.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-obtnext-orange-blosssom-trail-master-plan-cra-20210901-inopj23ytnhatc6kreiocjdsry-story.html

• Like 1

If it weren’t for Goff’s and Gatorland, I’d have no use for SOB Trail. 

It was shown on CBS’ “Harvest of Shame” with Edward R Murrow (albeit for other reasons) and hasn’t improved since then despite plan after plan. It is the poster child for poor planning in the region.

The delicious irony of the name leading newcomers to think it’s strewn with flowers only makes the thing more ridiculous. I also chuckle whenever folks insist the Citrus Bowl stay put so visitors can see “The City Beautiful” when they’re inevitably going to end up on that boulevard of shame.

Edited by spenser1058

"Last year, 47% of the 2,803 single-family residential permits pulled in Orange were in Horizon West."

That figure flabbergasted me. 

GS did a very nice, in depth look at where growth is occurring in CF.  Short answer; Nona, and Horizon West. Add in the sizable growth in Osceola, Lake and Seminole and you understand how small the residential impact of downtown Orlando really is.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/single-family/gs-news-new-home-sales-orlando-region-20210908-auaqlil5erg7neah36xrjxiqam-story.html

• 4 weeks later...

And just for @codypetas his favorite store moves to Northgate Plaza. It was considered quite chi-chi in its day. Jack Kerouac once shopped at its Publix regularly while he was living in, ummm, upscale Kingswood Manor (its developer, Brailey Odham, ran for governor and the US Senate) and, later, as it fell from grace, I saw “Breaking Away” 17 times (no Netflix back then) at the dollar Northgate Theaters.

Today, it has the privilege of being located just across the street from Hank’s, one of the area’s more outrageous dive bars.

Hopefully, Skycraft will return Northgate to better days!

https://bungalower.com/2021/10/03/skycraft-surplus-moves-into-new-location-on-edgewater-drive/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058

I had read somewhere that the business is also being turned over to the next generation in the family with this move.   We've seen that ruin a company (like Gooding's) but we've also seen businesses flourish with a handover (like Beefy King).  Lets hope its the latter.   I just happen to need some low voltage power cords so I might swing up that way anyway.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

I had read somewhere that the business is also being turned over to the next generation in the family with this move.   We've seen that ruin a company (like Gooding's) but we've also seen businesses flourish with a handover (like Beefy King).  Lets hope its the latter.   I just happen to need some low voltage power cords so I might swing up that way anyway.

I’m a big fan of family-owned companies and their transitions. Some, like Publix, Ford and The New York Times, do alright.

Others, like Gooding’s as you mentioned and Winn-Dixie just make a mess.

Then there’s the Hughes family that just sold all that Parramore land to the city, that just cash out.

Here’s hoping they do well up there.

18 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Others, like Gooding’s as you mentioned and Winn-Dixie just make a mess.

I am hoping that finally FINALLY   Winn-Dixie has gotten their act together.   From what I've seen in the SE Grocers era, I'm hopeful.  Its lightyears over how they've functioned the 20 yrs prior.

1 minute ago, codypet said:

I am hoping that finally FINALLY   Winn-Dixie has gotten their act together.   From what I've seen in the SE Grocers era, I'm hopeful.  Its lightyears over how they've functioned the 20 yrs prior.

W-D went in and out of bankruptcy a couple of times because they were controlled by a PEF. That’s the background of SEG so I’m not hopeful but maybe I’ll be surprised. PEFs saddle companies with so much debt it’s almost impossible for them to survive (and the PEFs make sure their portion is paid before any other bills). More retailers died in the last couple of decades due to PEFs than because of competition from Amazon.

24 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

W-D went in and out of bankruptcy a couple of times because they were controlled by a PEF. That’s the background of SEG so I’m not hopeful but maybe I’ll be surprised. PEFs saddle companies with so much debt it’s almost impossible for them to survive (and the PEFs make sure their portion is paid before any other bills). More retailers died in the last couple of decades due to PEFs than because of competition from Amazon.

Toys R Us, Kmart, Sears, to name a few.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Most companies are failing before they are bought by private equity. That is why they are desperate. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it does not 

• 1 month later...

Earlier today, OBJ reported there are plans to build a high-end Fairmont Resort at an undisclosed location "in the heart of Orlando’s entertainment district,"... The resorts would include 90 rooms, a dozen villas and 87 Fairmount Gold Resort Rooms along with a huge spa, meeting space etc.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/11/05/accor-development-ventures-group-plan-luxury-hotel.html

This evening, GS reports the location is "on 30 acres just across I-4, at the southeast corner of the World Drive interchange", and they report "the 7-story Fairmont Orlando hotel will feature 550 guestrooms, including 90 suites, 12 villas along the perimeter of three planned pools, and 87 Fairmont Gold rooms. The brand’s signature experience will be offered on the top floor and include a 5,000-square-foot private lounge."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/hotels/gs-news-resort-hotel-fairfield-20211105-awmkucy3wrchjk3r53f4fq43vq-story.html

Btw, this is from the folks that developed Bonnett Creek (where the Waldorf property is), so this is really a top-notch org. I know not everyone can stay at $1500-5000/ per night rooms, but the fact that Waldrorf and 4 Seasons sells out means Orlando is able to draw more than just the typical Disney tourist- in the end that is a good thing.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Earlier today, OBJ reported there are plans to build a high-end Fairmont Resort at an undisclosed location "in the heart of Orlando’s entertainment district,"... The resorts would include 90 rooms, a dozen villas and 87 Fairmount Gold Resort Rooms along with a huge spa, meeting space etc.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/11/05/accor-development-ventures-group-plan-luxury-hotel.html

This evening, GS reports the location is "on 30 acres just across I-4, at the southeast corner of the World Drive interchange", and they report "the 7-story Fairmont Orlando hotel will feature 550 guestrooms, including 90 suites, 12 villas along the perimeter of three planned pools, and 87 Fairmont Gold rooms. The brand’s signature experience will be offered on the top floor and include a 5,000-square-foot private lounge."

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/hotels/gs-news-resort-hotel-fairfield-20211105-awmkucy3wrchjk3r53f4fq43vq-story.html

Btw, this is from the folks that developed Bonnett Creek (where the Waldorf property is), so this is really a top-notch org. I know not everyone can stay at $1500-5000/ per night rooms, but the fact that Waldrorf and 4 Seasons sells out means Orlando is able to draw more than just the typical Disney tourist- in the end that is a good thing.

So if I’m reading this correctly, this will be just west of Celebration at World Drive / I-4 in Osceola County.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I was up in Jacksonville, I missed that Apopka’s plan to buy the much-loved Camp Wewa from the Y was approved. 

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2021/07/18/city-buys--preserves-beloved-camp

From Spectrum 13

Too often, we seem to be powerless from developers who ravage the countryside, destroy hundreds of old-growth trees and valuable chunks of history. Thankfully, this time the good guys won.

A big shoutout to Apopka Mayor Brian Nelson, the Apopka City Council and the YMCA of Central Florida for doing the right thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess we now know what Advent has planned for the Holy Land property.

From OBJ- ..."proposed a 78,000-square-foot, 4-story off-site emergency room and medical office in a first phase, with the second phase including a 5-story, 261,500-square-foot "hospital use,"..."A 50,844-square-foot, three-story auditorium and a one-story, 26,394-square-foot building that are currently on the site would be among those that would remain for now for "future potential use," according to site plans." The plan also includes a free standing ER and a helipad.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/12/28/exclusive-adventhealth-reveals-whats-ahead-for.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

• Like 1

Per GS, "an AREA15 attraction could be coming to Orlando" ...(whatever that means).

"often described as “futuristic” or “immersive,” and offers live events, art installations and a 6,500-square-foot food hall by chef and restaurateur Todd English. Features include a Meow Wolf art exhibit, a 23-foot Japanese maple tree inside and a canopy of 5,000 LED lights."

Between I4, Daryl Carter and Lake the land would have over 300k ftsq retail entitlements and may include work force housing. FWIW,, "Installments at AREA15′s Las Vegas location include Meow Wolf’s Omega Mart, Lost Spirits Distillery, Dueling Axes, Emporium Bar and Arcade, Wink World, The Beast Food Hall by Todd English, Rocket Fizz candy shop and Intel Innovation Hub".... again, I don't know what any of that is, but I gather the tourists would be wowed.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-news-area15-las-vegas-retail-art-international-drive-fisher-brothers-20220103-d4kdt2uh6jhipgbauzkegkyb4e-story.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Since I am staying on International Drive (the extreme tourist zone) saw some new apartments being built near the outlet mall north of Kirkman.   Honestly they need more housing in this area with all these employees.  And a new smaller hotel going up along I-4 near the Mall of Millenia.  I asked at my I-Drive hotel and they are running around 89% last night which was Sunday I can tell it much busier in this area than last January.  Good for the local economy for sure.  

So is most of International Drive outside of the Orlando city limits and how did that happen?  

IMG_9030.JPG

IMG_9031.JPG

IMG_9032.JPG

The Orlando city limits along I-Drive end somewhat north right around Sand Lake Rd.  Sadly, unincorporated OC includes much more land area than any of the cities, which has led to often unwieldy governance in those areas. It shouldn’t have happened that way but it was a way to avoid city taxes, and since until somewhat recently the OC and Orlando governments didn’t get along at all, the governments were only too happy to perpetuate it.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1