Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Will OC, after a century of misuse, finally begin to save Shingle Creek? 

Orange County leaders look to protect Shingle Creek, an Everglades headwater
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/environment/os-ne-orange-commission-shingle-creek-20220913-7nujhbue6jcx3cwuv6ausl34oi-story.html

From The Sentinel 

For the first time, it looks like change may be coming, starting with District 1 Commissioner Nicole Wilson.

https://youtu.be/cEXhZ8PwM-Y

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Looks more like out window of Raymond James above 310.

I find it fascinating because you would never otherwise know where that is because of the heavy tree cover.  Now, you know exactly where it is.  Just like when UCF built those taller dorms near the stadium.  From similar angles, you can see all that on the horizon from downtown; helps gage distances...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This post is not about a specific project- more of a trend. A couple weeks ago, GS ran an article citing a survey from the Urban Land Institute that declares the US has too much retail space and should/ will be converting it to residential (maybe low income housing). They look at malls as having great potential and name Fashion Square as an obvious option.  They also posit we may have too much office space and it may also be better used as residential.

“We’ve talked for years about the fact that we may have too much retail, now we are talking about (how) we may need less office, ” Andrew Warren, director of real estate research with PriceWaterhouseCoopers, said at the conference “Class B and C offices aren’t as attractive. Maybe it’s time for adaptive reuse. There are opportunities out there and we have needs; we need affordable and attainable housing.”..."office replaced retail as the lowest-ranked property sector this year. Retail had registered the lowest ranking of any property type for over a decade but seems to have at least stabilized, while the future for the office sector is uncertain at best."

I found this part interesting, "In addition, tenants are increasingly choosing newer, more modern buildings and abandoning everything else, especially ones built before 1990, the report says. “Unfortunately, the office sector experienced its greatest construction boom in the 1980′s,” the report reads. “Now many of these assets are becoming functionally obsolete, unwanted by tenants or investors.” One anonymous expert interviewed for the report stated that office assets have “become toxic.”

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-urban-land-institute-annual-report-development-orlando-20221031-tgiposv2ynffjacinfrnx55qwu-story.html

Along that same line of thinking- from GS Developers continue to swap out hotel entitlements in favor of apartments in Orlando’s tourism district. "6.5 acres near the northeast intersection of World Center Drive and State Road 535, just south of Lake Bryan, next to the 1,333-key Caribe Royale Resort." 30 years ago they got approval for a 280 room hotel- never happened. Now the new owner has submitted an application to the county with a change determination request to replace the hotel designation with a 177-unit multifamily community with three residential buildings.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/multi-family/gs-news-alpine-residential-multifamily-development-hotels-orlando-20221111-yk2fqc4bbrea7n2oduts5q25eq-story.html

And one more from OBJ, Orlando I-Drive hotel is next in line for conversion to apartments. 3.62 acres at 6323 International Drive, about a half-mile west of its intersection with Kirkman Road, titled Oslo at I Drive in the city filing, would feature two buildings for housing, one common area building, a pool area, mail lobby, gym and parking. "Hotel-to-apartment conversions are a wrinkle on a larger trend seen throughout the region, as investors continue to seek ways to turn older properties into rentable multifamily units while rents in metro Orlando have skyrocketed."

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/11/11/the-floridian-express-hotel-i-drive-conversion-apt.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

Interesting times

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HankStrong said:

In my train thread I talked a little about how Phoenix is repurposing a few old malls/shopping centers into hubs for transit along stops in the system.  They are using the ample parking, general convenience, and former storefronts by putting their admin offices in them.

This is a great idea. Unfortunately, the next best option is warehouses, and I don't think we want to go down that road.... btw, does anyone remember when it was a thing to convert downtown offices into centralized server farms? I'm looking at you 180 N Orange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just heard on the news that Eatonville has voted down a Hungerford property development proposal 4 to 1.

The reason given was that the proposal was too heavy with residential housing and that nobody who lives there would be able to afford one.

They're looking for something more commercial, retail, dining and entertainment oriented. 

Don't know how much success they'll have with that.

Maybe something like an Old Town Kissimmee. 

On 2/7/2023 at 11:22 PM, JFW657 said:

Just heard on the news that Eatonville has voted down a Hungerford property development proposal 4 to 1.

The reason given was that the proposal was too heavy with residential housing and that nobody who lives there would be able to afford one.

They're looking for something more commercial, retail, dining and entertainment oriented. 

Don't know how much success they'll have with that.

Maybe something like an Old Town Kissimmee. 

They don't want the town to change demographically. So commercial is ideal for them. New tax base with a limited number of new voters. 

At least according to the news reports from the public testimonies Tuesday night. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jack said:

They don't want the town to change demographically. So commercial is ideal for them. New tax base with a limited number of new voters. 

At least according to the news reports from the public testimonies Tuesday night. 

So are they hoping Maitland Center jumps I-4 and starts building in Eatonville?  Because office space might be a hard sell  SJRWMD moved out of there about a year ago.  A few other engineering firms have moved out of there too.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

So are they hoping Maitland Center jumps I-4 and starts building in Eatonville?  Because office space might be a hard sell  SJRWMD moved out of there about a year ago.  A few other engineering firms have moved out of there too.

Don't think it's offices they're looking for.

Entertainment is what I think is their aim.

Probably themed entertainment with dining and retail, etc. 

I'm guessing the theme would be something related to Eatonville's history.

Maybe a small amount of office space. 

That's the impression I got anyway. 

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Don't think it's offices they're looking for.

Entertainment is what I think is their aim.

Probably themed entertainment with dining and retail, etc. 

I'm guessing the theme would be something related to Eatonville's history.

Maybe a small amount of office space. 

That's the impression I got anyway. 

entertainment ala blues or jazz bars like on Frenchman in NOLA?  that would be interesting if they could create a district there...I'd go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

entertainment ala blues or jazz bars like on Frenchman in NOLA?  that would be interesting if they could create a district there...I'd go.

The people who spoke on camera during the news report didn't specify.

They mentioned some different ideas.

I think some of the people want a cultural/history center or even another school.

One group is looking at it in terms of history, while the other group, the county and developers, are looking at it in terms of tax revenue.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

The people who spoke on camera during the news report didn't specify.

They mentioned some different ideas.

I think some of the people want a cultural/history center or even another school.

One group is looking at it in terms of history, while the other group, the county and developers, are looking at it in terms of tax revenue.  

they claimed they got the shaft when they didn't get an exit.  I'm 60/40 on that; should've gotten an exit for no other reason than to avoid Lee Road/Wymore, and Maitland Blvd; get a direct rout to Lake Ave/Kennedy, access 17/92 a little closer to Horatio than Lee on one side, and get easy access to Forrest City Rd if you have an itch to visit Benny Hinn's former digs etc. Kennedy is a back way into Maitland Center to the north...  Likely would help with economic impact too in their neighborhood. 

tough for an exit, though, b/c Wymore is right there at the foot of I-4;  but, they could've turned Wymore into an I-4 Access Road and kept it tight.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jrs2 said:

they claimed they got the shaft when they didn't get an exit.  I'm 60/40 on that; should've gotten an exit for no other reason than to avoid Lee Road/Wymore, and Maitland Blvd; get a direct rout to Lake Ave/Kennedy, access 17/92 a little closer to Horatio than Lee on one side, and get easy access to Forrest City Rd if you have an itch to visit Benny Hinn's former digs etc. Kennedy is a back way into Maitland Center to the north...  Likely would help with economic impact too in their neighborhood. 

tough for an exit, though, b/c Wymore is right there at the foot of I-4;  but, they could've turned Wymore into an I-4 Access Road and kept it tight.

I think the exit would have been too close to Maitland Blvd and Lee Rd. FDOT could not have justified it. But on the other hand, that is why commercial development will be a tough sell. Access is not great and I don't know if the road network can handle a lot of retail or office space. 

22 hours ago, codypet said:

Just because they want it does not mean it is realistic. Commercial will be tough here. 

16 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I hope they chose the route of history over another commercial development. Eatonville has a unique historical seat at the table and it’s worth expanding upon. 

LOL, they are not going to get the commercial development they want. This will sit vacant for another 20 years. 

At this point, OCPS should just build another school. Magnet or something cool. 

21 hours ago, jack said:

LOL, they are not going to get the commercial development they want. This will sit vacant for another 20 years. 

At this point, OCPS should just build another school. Magnet or something cool. 

Seems to me they could have just kept Hungerford Prep there.

Rebuilt some of the older classroom buildings while keeping some of the core historical parts intact and upgrading them, ala Boone H S. 

Additional new buildings as needed. 

Maybe they can come up with a way for a small black college to be built there.