Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

That looks so fine! I love the Carlyle, it looks old and would fit it with Winter Park if it weren't for the NIMBY's that do not want different people encroaching on their neighborhood.

Winter Park reminds me of San Marco in Jacksonville...very old/historic, VERY expensive and nice, but without many old families living there, and full of NIMBY's.

• 1 month later...

Definitely not a good day for Winter Park and Maitland. Both mayoral contests went to the "anti-development" candidates. Strong(WP) is dead set against the Carlisle, so I suppose it won't be wise to hold our breath on this one. The NIMBY's won the day. Kind of nauseating if you ask me.

what's funny about WP, is that--okay, they may win with the Carlysle, but, there's like another 5 big projects U/C in and around WP's downtown:

-those lofts/condos on the east side of Park Ave-- about 4-5 stories, as north as Morse Museum, I think.

-condos on New York just south of P.O.

-New England near Dexter's-- like the entire block on the south side of street.

-Morse & Penn., north side of street.

-the hotel/condo next to Regent Residences.(can't remember name...)

and the recently completed Park Place...

that NIMBY mayoral candidate or whatever can bite me.

I don't think this is entirely NIMBY-ism...it's also a case of the Have's versus the Have Not's.

Many of those who live in Winter Park and Maitland have their nice home, and even nicer zip code...and they like the locales just fine as they are. And who can blame them? Both are nice cities in the metro area.

But now that they are there,....they really aren't inclined to share with others.

I think very few opponents to some of the projects proposed in both cities are actually concerned with density, architectual details, traffic impact, urbanity, etc.

I think the majority just don't want any more people moving to their tony 'burg. More people means it's not as exclusive.

I don't think this is entirely NIMBY-ism...it's also a case of the Have's versus the Have Not's.

Maybe so. But the fact is the basic logic of NIMBY's was just sealed into public office in two areas that had big plans for new development. I can't speak for WP as much, but in Maitland, the citizens who elected this new mayor into office are the same ones who had their kids running around in "Down with Density" t-shirts earlier in the year. To me, it's a sad commentary on just how much that logic is entrenched in the minds of the citizenry in the general metro area. Far more than I had presumed it to be, anyway.

Edited by GRS328

Does anyone know why exactly the "Majesty Building" is in perpetual post-nuclear holocaust mode? It looks nice from far away, but when you get closer it looks kinda scary. Like Tina Turner's gonna show up with her crazy dune buggy and chase you or something. I just wish they would hurry up and finish it.

The religious organization building it is doing so with cash. They build as the donations come in, so when it is complete it will already be paid for. Altamonte Springs agreed to this schedule because it was the first big building to commit to the Uptown Altamonte project and helped get things rolling. Now it looks like the rest of Uptown Altamonte will be finished before the Majesty building.

Edited by facilities man

The religious organization building it is doing so with cash. They build as the donations come in, so when it is complete it will already be paid for. Altamonte Springs agreed to this schedule because it was the first big building to commit to the Uptown Altamonte project and helped get things rolling. Now it looks like the rest of Uptown Altamonte will be finished before the Majesty building.

Thanks for the info!

I can see why they did that. It helps to have a building under construction to get others to follow.

It still bites that it's just sitting there.

The Majesty Building looks 10,000 times better now than it did just a few years ago.

Having most of it covered in its mirrored glass exterior really helps.

For what seemed like the longest time, it was nothing but a steel frame.

Now, at least, it has the appearance of a habitable building.

Nice. its about time they built something new-- its been like 4 or 5 years.

Also, goto Altamonte-- that towne center complex is starting to look sweet-- especially the 8 story apt. bldg. night and day from a few years ago, except for the Majesty bldg., since it was still there a few years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Millenia:

Has anyone gotten a glimpse of the new 4 story office bldg U/C near Macy's yet? It's facade is stunning.

Also, the new office condo 4-5 story project looks topped off on the other side of the complex near the HD Expo. It even has a 3-4 story parking deck attached in the rear-- really nice.

Also, those Apts. facin Americana/Conroy have reached Millenia Blvd. right near the office condo I mentioned; a dozen or so new bldgs.

• 3 weeks later...

Many of those who live in Winter Park and Maitland have their nice home, and even nicer zip code...and they like the locales just fine as they are. And who can blame them? Both are nice cities in the metro area.

But now that they are there,....they really aren't inclined to share with others.

I think very few opponents to some of the projects proposed in both cities are actually concerned with density, architectual details, traffic impact, urbanity, etc.

I think the majority just don't want any more people moving to their tony 'burg. More people means it's not as exclusive.

I couldn't disagree more. Perhaps from the outside, particularly from the outside, it appears to be a class issue, but no one I spoke to on the issue sees it that way.

69 high end condo units in a city of 25,000 people will not dilute WP's exclusivity. No one motivated to participate in the political process over this issue believes this. The only people advancing an elitist, class-based argument are non-residents, non-voters, and/or connected to the developer financially.

The issue is very simply SCALE and CONTEXT. As has been mentioned, there are several other 4 or 5 story projects in various states of completion in and around WP, and even though these are variances from the city's central plan, they have been allowed. What makes this project different is its location and the huge impact it will have on EVERY resident's use and enjoyment of our public space (WP boasts more park space per capita than any other city in Florida!).

Residents' objections to the Carlisle center on its length, and its height, and the effect that this size will have upon Central Park. No more sunsets at the bandstand? No direct natural sunlight after 3 PM? No setbacks, no trees on NY Ave?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm grateful that participatory democracy and citizen involvement will guide redevelopment in WP. As much as this forum is slanted toward the mantras of density and urbanization, not all projects are correct for all areas, simply because someone wants to build it.

Central planning and citizen involvement have shaped WP for over 100 years - the oldest planned community in Florida. That the residents have a different vision than non-residents for the city's evolution isn't a case of NIMBYism or elitism - its simply an outgrowth of careful forethought and planning that have created a sense of place unequaled anywhere in Central Florida.

One need not look further than College Park to see what an overscaled, out of context hulk can do to an otherwise quaint area. The fight isn't over - I predict it will be built eventually, but its scale will be reduced to something that fits its surroundings - or it will remain the pipedream it remains today.