Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Winter Park architects complete design work on Park Towers at Uptown

Slocum Platts Architects P.A. has completed the design work for Park Towers at Uptown in Altamonte Springs' new town center area.

The Uptown Altamonte mixed-use project consists of the pair of 14- and 16-story luxury condominium towers with retail and office space on the lower floors. The two towers will be connected by a porte-cochere on the ground floor, a health club on the second floor and a pool deck on the third floor.

Orlando Business Journal Article

Winter Park architects complete design work on Park Towers at Uptown

Slocum Platts Architects P.A. has completed the design work for Park Towers at Uptown in Altamonte Springs' new town center area.

The Uptown Altamonte mixed-use project consists of the pair of 14- and 16-story luxury condominium towers with retail and office space on the lower floors. The two towers will be connected by a porte-cochere on the ground floor, a health club on the second floor and a pool deck on the third floor.

Orlando Business Journal Article

now how long before they start building them?

I know this is city limits, but sometimes I think of College Park as its own place.

cp1ps7.jpg

Don't mind my flip flop, I wanted to show people the stonework at the bottom of The Wellesley.

cp2te6.jpg

I imagine once the commuter rails goes up we'll see a lot more buildings like this along the line.

Developer pulls out of downtown Casselberry

Unicorp National Developments is abandoning the project, citing a softening real-estate market.

In a letter received by city officials on Friday, the Orlando-based company said it would terminate its contract to buy land for the downtown -- 16 acres along U.S. Highway 17-92 near City Hall.

"The reasons really are pretty simple. A major component was the residential aspect of the project, and the market has really softened recently," Tim Keen, Unicorp's director of development, told the Orlando Sentinel.

Keen also cited construction costs, which he said "have just gone through the roof. . . . That makes it much more difficult to achieve a reasonable return. It is pretty much as simple as that."

Orlando Sentinel Article

• 2 weeks later...

State approves $155M to lure biotech firm to Orlando

TALLAHASSEE -- Without a word, a panel of state lawmakers agreed today to set aside $155 million in public money for a California biomedical research firm that is considering setting up shop in Orlando.

The state's Legislative Budget Commission voted unanimously to spend $155 million in state money on the Burnham Institute, which has been negotiating with state officials for months about expanding into Florida. Burnham officials could decide as early as next week between Orlando and Port St. Lucie, both of which have pledged to match the state's spending.

Orlando Sentinel Article

Development is still thriving on Orlando's southwest side

Real estate experts cite home values and retail

Jerry W. Jackson {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted August 25, 2006

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...iness-headlines

How did such a positive article find its way onto the pages of the Sentinel ? Must have slipped by the editor.

• 2 weeks later...

they've been talking about this for a while now-- this is the first article I've read on the project. I like it. It sounds nice. can't wait until they begin on the project just north of the Publix at Horatio.

I can't tell by your wording if you are confusing these two projects or not. The one in the article is S of Lake Lily .. it has simularities to the one N. of the Publix ... the Two together will really have an impact on Maitland but they've eventually got to get rid of the used car (ex gas station) on Horatio and 17-92. Also, it looks like they are extending Swoop Avenue from behind publex to go behind the new condo and then merge onto north bound 17-92. That will decongest the Horatio intersection a bit.

Edited by cwetteland

I can't tell by you're wording if you are confusing these two projects or not. The one in the article is S of Lake Lily .. it has simularities to the one N. of the Publix ... the Two together will really have an impact on Maitland but they've eventually got to get rid of the used car (ex gas station) on Horatio and 17-92. Also, it looks like they are extending Swoop Avenue from behind publex to go behind the new condo and then merge onto north bound 17-92. That will decongest the Horatio intersection a bit.

All of north Orlando is becoming very "urbanized". I think Orlando has a great set up with these cities so close to our northern border (Winter Park, Maitland, Altamonte). If they were not independent municipalities and the city of Orlando stretched further north the area would probably not be nearly as exciting. It really gives us a cool hip "core" area stretching from downtown to Altamonte.

I can't tell by your wording if you are confusing these two projects or not. The one in the article is S of Lake Lily .. it has simularities to the one N. of the Publix ... the Two together will really have an impact on Maitland but they've eventually got to get rid of the used car (ex gas station) on Horatio and 17-92. Also, it looks like they are extending Swoop Avenue from behind publex to go behind the new condo and then merge onto north bound 17-92. That will decongest the Horatio intersection a bit.

no, I know they are two different projects.

the one north of Publix is like 5 stories tall-- it's rendering on that billboard makes it look massive. what a stretch down 17/92 when all these projects get built.

the one north of Publix is like 5 stories tall-- it's rendering on that billboard makes it look massive. what a stretch down 17/92 when all these projects get built.

What's really massive about it is how far deep back it is going to go. Like cwettland said they're going to extend the road that cuts behind the Publix (Swoop) back through this project and around to connect with 17-92. That side is going to be lined with retail, etc.

The Morgan Group development is equally just as massive. There is a Port City Java scheduled to go into this one. I really like both of these because they are redeveloping blighted stretches of a major roadway.

There is another project just north of the Maitland Uptown project, on the other side of 17-92, getting ready to begin as well, The Trevi. They have already set up a sales center right next to Parker Lumber, though not staffed yet. There was a quick mention of it in Friday's OBJ as well. This tract is not as large as the other two, but still will accomplish cleaning up a dilapidated stretch of 17-92.

What's really massive about it is how far deep back it is going to go. Like cwettland said they're going to extend the road that cuts behind the Publix (Swoop) back through this project and around to connect with 17-92. That side is going to be lined with retail, etc.

The Morgan Group development is equally just as massive. There is a Port City Java scheduled to go into this one. I really like both of these because they are redeveloping blighted stretches of a major roadway.

There is another project just north of the Maitland Uptown project, on the other side of 17-92, getting ready to begin as well, The Trevi. They have already set up a sales center right next to Parker Lumber, though not staffed yet. There was a quick mention of it in Friday's OBJ as well. This tract is not as large as the other two, but still will accomplish cleaning up a dilapidated stretch of 17-92.

very exciting. indeed. extending Swoope is smart. now, they just need to give it a traffic signal at Horatio to make it work.

if I was a developer I would propose some highrise condo and apt. towers along 17/92; I'd start with 15-20 story towers and then go up to 25-30 stories. A few towers dotting 17/92 and Orlando Ave. can turn into a Peachtree clone, within reason. too many lakefront lots taken up by single and two story apt. and condo bldgs.; waste of real estate.

very exciting. indeed. extending Swoope is smart. now, they just need to give it a traffic signal at Horatio to make it work.

if I was a developer I would propose some highrise condo and apt. towers along 17/92; I'd start with 15-20 story towers and then go up to 25-30 stories. A few towers dotting 17/92 and Orlando Ave. can turn into a Peachtree clone, within reason. too many lakefront lots taken up by single and two story apt. and condo bldgs.; waste of real estate.

I agree, 17-92 definetly is becoming somewhat of a Peachtree clone. The problem is Winter Park and Maitland making a fuss about building heights. I would think that the more urbanized they become the more their property values will soar, they should encourage it!

i ran into some interesting stats on OIA.......

http://www.answers.com/topic/world-s-busie...ssenger-traffic

for jan-april 2006..... traffic estimates at 12,123,165 people. thats only for the 1st 3rd of the year. multiply by 3 and you get 36,369,495. that not even including the holiday season. if you factor that in, im sure it could be closer to 38 million people.

what was the magic number that OIA wanted to start construction on the south terminal?

at this rate, the ball might start rolling sooner than expected if they want to be finished around the time that they expect capacity to be reached.

even if they are willing to dance at a little over capacity for a while, i cant see them holding off for the 6-8 years as previously predicted last year.

Edited by shardoon

This new emphasis on grabbing more foreign travellers should help too. We should have some serious international flights when this terminal is complete.

Unfortunately, I think the government is making it harder for foreign tourists to come here, not easier... at least that has been the trend.

• 2 weeks later...