Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

Yep-- they're moving a boatload of dirt right now.

Sometimes, hills are nice to have. Heck, they're a commodity around here. As if Florida isn't flat enough, we're going to level it back down.

I'm all for the water, but can't they just put a pump in and make a little stream.... never mind... I just woke up from a dream.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny enough -- if you want to call it "funny" -- I happen to catch on OrangeTV several months ago, when the Wal-Mart was first planned there (but not approved yet), along with the expansion of Sand Lake Hospital, the Whole Foods, etc., they (the county commission) were going around and around about how they couldn't approve all these projects when the bottleneck of the Sand Lake Rd./Turkey Lake Rd./I-4 interchange exists. The configuration simply couldn't handle the existing or the projected traffic.

Yet, here they are -- all approved, and I see no upgrades being made to the intersections. They're going to have to put in at least one stop light there at that Wal-Mart, but it's not done yet either.

That intersection is GREAT come 16:30-18:00. Surprisingly, the immediate part of Turkey Lake around Wal-Mart isn't that bad... yet.

What's the deal with the new office tower next to the "Gourmet"/Pearlman's McDonald's?

Shrank the pond to put in stores. According to the website its is a Cold Stone, The Grape, and Shane's BBQ. I'm assuming its the same Grape that's in Pointe Orlando. I'm afraid Cold Stone is going to run TCBY out of business.

I believe a Pei Wei is also supposed to go in there.

Lake Mary has been chosen as the 4th best place to live by CNN Money/Money Magazine. I got to give it to the city for courting some big names in the business world, that has really helped put them in the spot light.

Best of the South

Population: 13,200

Typical single-family home: $325,000

Estimated property taxes: $5,200

Pros: Big-economy jobs, small-town feel, no income tax

Cons: Florida summers, Florida hurricanes

Charlotte Smith-Wilkes used to commute an hour and 20 minutes to work each way when she lived in Miami. Now that the insurance executive lives in Lake Mary, the trip takes her four minutes flat. "We were looking for a calmer place to live, a place to raise children," says Smith-Wilkes, 48. She and her husband arrived 10 years ago and now have two daughters. "You get really spoiled," she says, "because everything is so close."

Less than a decade ago, "everything" might have referred to Orlando or Disney World, which are 30 minutes away, or to Daytona Beach, reachable in 45. But growth has brought Lake Mary residents plenty of shopping, restaurants and events in their own backyard. There are lakes for boating and fishing, and the Timacuan Golf Course lies in the center of town. The downtown is a work in progress, but plans are moving ahead to create multiuse plazas that incorporate retail, office and residential space.

Recreation is one thing, but jobs keep Lake Mary humming. On weekdays the population rockets from less than 14,000 to more than 35,000 as commuters arrive. AAA and Ruth's Chris Steak House keep their headquarters here, while others, like the Hartford and AT&T, maintain a large presence in the area's office parks.

All of the development has pushed housing prices higher, but a four-bedroom, three-bath house can still be had for $300,000. Of course, there's always the weather to worry about. In 2004 the town spent more than $2 million cleaning up after hurricanes. Three years later, though, the streets are once again lined with palms and flowering crape myrtles, and residents are more than willing to risk a storm for the town's amenities. "We're away from the tourists, we're close to the beach, and there are really good schools," says Tracy Paone, 39, a stay-at-home mom who lives here with her husband and two children. "To me, it's just right."

Best Places to Live

I know nothing about it, but I believe that is a project that some NIMBY's have been trying to shoot down for the better part of the last two years. When thinking like a NIMBY it is important to remember that Lake Monroe is not very large. The potential for such a dominating structure in both size and girth to alter, or even worse damage the shoreline or the lakes eco-system is real....You've been warned.

I know nothing about it, but I believe that is a project that some NIMBY's have been trying to shoot down for the better part of the last two years.

NIMBYs better use big guns ... it's already built .. (NOT A RENDERING). So other than that it's already there, built and painted, I know nothing.

Edited by cwetteland

I know nothing about it, but I believe that is a project that some NIMBY's have been trying to shoot down for the better part of the last two years. When thinking like a NIMBY it is important to remember that Lake Monroe is not very large. The potential for such a dominating structure in both size and girth to alter, or even worse damage the shoreline or the lakes eco-system is real....You've been warned.

You sure you're thinking about the right lake? Lake Monroe is about 3 miles wide by about 6 miles long. This building is just a dot on the shoreline. Well maybe not a dot....

You sure you're thinking about the right lake? Lake Monroe is about 3 miles wide by about 6 miles long. This building is just a dot on the shoreline. Well maybe not a dot....

It's a dot if you're on the north side of the lake ... but if you live in downtown Sanford it's honkin'. But that's beside the point. NIMBYs lost builder won.

Edited by cwetteland

• 2 weeks later...

Good Pictures of that Wal-mart in Dr. Phillips. If they build one of those in Altamaonte Springs then people wouldn't have to go to Apoaka or Casselberry to get to a Supercenter Wal-mart or better yet build a Neighborhood Market in Altamonte Springs.

To the person woundering about 17-92 and 436 has checked the Real Estate's Website to see the latest Site Plan for it to see if Lowe's is in?

Does Uptown Altamonte Springs and Town Center have an updated Site Plan or Tenant list out yet?

Any new Commercial Developments coming to Seminole County FL?

What's the MPB Website?

Charging prices that you could afford to pay a mortgage with to live in the middle of a boring office park???

Just a pet peeve here, but why does every development North of Longwood say it is in Lake Mary when they are usually in Heathrow or Sanford? This would be in Heathrow....

I just checked several Heathrow real estate sites ... and they all say Heathrow is in Lake Mary, FL. I always thought that Heathrow was a development and Lake Mary was a municipality. So it make sense that you can be in Heathrow and Lake Mary. Now Sanford is another story.

Edited by cwetteland